Cowherd

ivotuk

Reaction score
Love his show on espn radio. It makes the morning drive to work entertaining :) I like how he's not afraid to say controversial things and not emulate ths overly PC shows that the rest of the guys on espn radio put out.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
ivotuk":1jtt9f9u said:
Love his show on espn radio. It makes the morning drive to work entertaining :) I like how he's not afraid to say controversial things and not emulate ths overly PC shows that the rest of the guys on espn radio put out.

Overly PC? You mean Pete Carroll is on other shows and its a bad thing? ;) :lol:

Seahawker86

Reaction score
on Tuesday he came out with his top 10 teams in the NFL and gave us the #1 spot and said we aren't going to lose at home, teams can't run against us or throw outside.

Pick6

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":104vwgbg said:
ivotuk":104vwgbg said:

Overly PC? You mean Pete Carroll is on other shows and its a bad thing? ;) :lol:

PC is politically correct.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Pick6":russ3len said:
oldhawkfan":russ3len said:
ivotuk":russ3len said:

I am pretty sure if you look closely at his comment, you'll find that he was teasing you.

AVL

Reaction score
Hope the players don't listen to that crap.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1gkx6foq said:
Pick6":1gkx6foq said:
oldhawkfan":1gkx6foq said:
ivotuk":1gkx6foq said:

I am pretty sure if you look closely at his comment, you'll find that he was teasing you.

:roll: Do I really need to put the :sarcasm_on: ?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
cowherd is another one of those guys I didn't like much at first, he's got that nasally overly-assertive voice and enough arrogance to turn it all into something that grates. But he's pretty good at what he does so he's grown on me.

Tical21

Reaction score
I liked him at first. He has these really deep original thoughts, and communicates them very well. I judge these personalities based on how often they dismiss normal thinking and instead create their own. The problem....he always misses the point. He will go on and on about a part of a story and you realize that he doesn't understand the real crux of the issue, and never hits on it, instead focusing a huge rant on an unimportant part of it. Unlistenable IMO.

yeastmode

Reaction score
Tical21":wkl16s14 said:
I liked him at first. He has these really deep original thoughts, and communicates them very well. I judge these personalities based on how often they dismiss normal thinking and instead create their own. The problem....he always misses the point. He will go on and on about a part of a story and you realize that he doesn't understand the real crux of the issue, and never hits on it, instead focusing a huge rant on an unimportant part of it. Unlistenable IMO.

The whole 'missing the point' stuff is on purpose. It's a simple device intended to create superficial interest by polarizing opinions either strongly for or against his premise. It's just shallow, basic schtick - be slightly off the mark loudly to goad people into correcting you. In all my radio listening over the years I've found the least talented and least interesting hosts are those that rely exclusively on this tactic as he does. The one that takes the cake is some spare host out of Chicago I happened to be listening to years ago back when Ripken broke 2131. He said the record was not a significant accomplishment because Ripken was just showing up for work every day, which is what he was paid to do...and then immediately invited listeners to call in and prove him wrong. All I heard was "My ratings suck. I'm desperate. Please listen to my fail show." Cowherd does that patronizing crap every day and quite honestly I don't understand why he has a job. It probably says more about ESPN than it does about him.

Cartire

Reaction score
yeastmode":2neabiwv said:
Tical21":2neabiwv said:

The whole 'missing the point' stuff is on purpose. It's a simple device intended to create superficial interest by polarizing opinions either strongly for or against his premise. It's just shallow, basic schtick - be slightly off the mark loudly to goad people into correcting you. In all my radio listening over the years I've found the least talented and least interesting hosts are those that rely exclusively on this tactic as he does. The one that takes the cake is some spare host out of Chicago I happened to be listening to years ago back when Ripken broke 2131. He said the record was not a significant accomplishment because Ripken was just showing up for work every day, which is what he was paid to do...and then immediately invited listeners to call in and prove him wrong. All I heard was "My ratings suck. I'm desperate. Please listen to my fail show." Cowherd does that patronizing crap every day and quite honestly I don't understand why he has a job. It probably says more about ESPN than it does about him.

For that very reason, it's why his talk show is so huge. And also why skip bayless has amazing ratings. You may hate it, but that shtick is ezactly why their ratings are so high.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2uy6i1fn said:
Pick6":2uy6i1fn said:
oldhawkfan":2uy6i1fn said:
ivotuk":2uy6i1fn said:

Intelligent ones like Sherman or Wilson don't they thrive on adversity and challenge.

Tical21

Reaction score
Cartire":2onqzf4x said:
yeastmode":2onqzf4x said:
Tical21":2onqzf4x said:

For that very reason, it's why his talk show is so huge. And also why skip bayless has amazing ratings. You may hate it, but that shtick is ezactly why their ratings are so high.

I really don't know that I fully agree. For the most part, I believe Skip Bayless kind of "gets it" and plays his role purposely. I have a feeling that more often than not, Cowherd simply doesn't "get it".