Cowherd

Subzero717

Reaction score
Tical21":2sfq0pgl said:
Cartire":2sfq0pgl said:
yeastmode":2sfq0pgl said:
Tical21":2sfq0pgl said:
I liked him at first. He has these really deep original thoughts, and communicates them very well. I judge these personalities based on how often they dismiss normal thinking and instead create their own. The problem....he always misses the point. He will go on and on about a part of a story and you realize that he doesn't understand the real crux of the issue, and never hits on it, instead focusing a huge rant on an unimportant part of it. Unlistenable IMO.

The whole 'missing the point' stuff is on purpose. It's a simple device intended to create superficial interest by polarizing opinions either strongly for or against his premise. It's just shallow, basic schtick - be slightly off the mark loudly to goad people into correcting you. In all my radio listening over the years I've found the least talented and least interesting hosts are those that rely exclusively on this tactic as he does. The one that takes the cake is some spare host out of Chicago I happened to be listening to years ago back when Ripken broke 2131. He said the record was not a significant accomplishment because Ripken was just showing up for work every day, which is what he was paid to do...and then immediately invited listeners to call in and prove him wrong. All I heard was "My ratings suck. I'm desperate. Please listen to my fail show." Cowherd does that patronizing crap every day and quite honestly I don't understand why he has a job. It probably says more about ESPN than it does about him.

For that very reason, it's why his talk show is so huge. And also why skip bayless has amazing ratings. You may hate it, but that shtick is ezactly why their ratings are so high.

I really don't know that I fully agree. For the most part, I believe Skip Bayless kind of "gets it" and plays his role purposely. I have a feeling that more often than not, Cowherd simply doesn't "get it".

I'm not a huge fan but he gets it. Not only does he get it he is way slicker at it than Bayless by a mile.

Why Bayless gets the rating he does I have zero idea? That show is so obvious and he and Stephen A. are just terrible in any real analysis. Stephen A. outside of hoops, Bayless all the time. Its unwatchable.

Latest posts