What is the plan?

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Logic says MacDonald, Quinn, Evero & Graham. Those appear to be the four finalists.

Ben Johnson is taking the Washington job. It's no secret. There's also been no mention of a 2nd interview with Slowik or the Miami OC. The only OC to get one so far is Mike Kafka. Which leads me to believe that they want someone with a defensive background.

They probably still want to talk with MacDonald. That's been the holdup. Quinn, Evero & Graham all got 2nd interviews.
Are there any NFL mandates / requirements (release to the media wise) about what the team needs to share in regard to what they are doing with interviews? Any chance no mention of something like a second interview is just to keep it on the down-low for some reason?

GemCity

Reaction score
I can’t see Johnson passing up WAS.

I’d love to be wrong.

It’s DQ or MM.

James in PA

Reaction score
Here's another SCARY thought. People keep saying that if DQ were our first choice, wouldn't we have hired him by now? Well, maybe DQ's first choice is Washington, as he is an east coast guy. Maybe DQ himself is causing the holdup. Maybe Washington's first choice is still Johnson but because the Lions haven't been eliminated yet, there is no rush. That is why DQ has another scheduled interview with them next week -- one last chance to make his case. And when Washington ultimately decides on Johnson, WE will be QUINN'S fallback option.
😔

xray

Reaction score
Everyone else is filling coaching slots while there is crickets from Seattle. Multiple coaches they don't even bother interviewing. Infuriating.

What the hell is the plan? If it ends up being DQ I will be utterly disgusted.
I would rather have Vrabel as a last resort ; than Quinn . Maybe we get the leftovers ?

xray

Reaction score
This could actually be a ' popcorn ' 1st episode . ;)

RiverDog

Reaction score
Everyone else is filling coaching slots while there is crickets from Seattle. Multiple coaches they don't even bother interviewing. Infuriating.

What the hell is the plan? If it ends up being DQ I will be utterly disgusted.
Rest assured, they have a plan. But like everything else, ie the draft, free agency, contract talks, etc., we're not privy to the details. We'll find out soon enough.

There are still two very viable candidates, Ben Johnson and Mike McDonald, that we can't talk to or sign as their teams are still involved in the playoffs. If the Lions and/or the Ravens lose tomorrow, then maybe we'll hear something next week.

I, too, will be disappointed if they hire Dan Quinn. He just feels too much like Pete 201. If we're going to go with a defensive minded HC, my first choice would be Mike Vrabel. But I have my heart set on Ben Johnson.

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
Rest assured, they have a plan. But like everything else, ie the draft, free agency, contract talks, etc., we're not privy to the details. We'll find out soon enough.

There are still two very viable candidates, Ben Johnson and Mike McDonald, that we can't talk to or sign as their teams are still involved in the playoffs. If the Lions and/or the Ravens lose tomorrow, then maybe we'll hear something next week.

I, too, will be disappointed if they hire Dan Quinn. He just feels too much like Pete 201. If we're going to go with a defensive minded HC, my first choice would be Mike Vrabel. But I have my heart set on Ben Johnson.
I'm scared the plan is Dan Quinn. I'd like Vrabel as he's a proven commodity. But I feel like Jognson will go to Washington and Seattle will end up with either Quinn or Macdonald. Not sure why there isn't more interest in Vrabel.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm scared the plan is Dan Quinn. I'd like Vrabel as he's a proven commodity. But I feel like Jognson will go to Washington and Seattle will end up with either Quinn or Macdonald. Not sure why there isn't more interest in Vrabel.
There's an old saying that applies here: Don't sweat the petty stuff, rather pet the sweaty stuff. Get some sleep at night, bro. There's no sense worrying about it.

Personally, I think that they're not going with Quinn as if they were, they would have hired him already. They have to know him better than any of the other candidates, so maybe they're just helping an old friend get a little leverage on his new employer by making them think that he might sign with us.

Fade

Reaction score
The plan is to get one of the outstanding coordinators coaching on championship weekend.

If they can't persuade them to come here, then they fallback to the guys they've interviewed already.

The good news is, there is a glutton of coaching talent available, and any guy they hire at this point is an upgrade over what they've had for the last 7 years.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The plan is to get one of the outstanding coordinators coaching on championship weekend.

If they can't persuade them to come here, then they fallback to the guys they've interviewed already.

The good news is, there is a glutton of coaching talent available, and any guy they hire at this point is an upgrade over what they've had for the last 7 years.
Yes. I'm sure the floor of every single head coach in the league is 9-7, 10-6, 11-5, 12-4, 7-10, 9-8, and 9-8 in a 7 year span.

Every team wins all of the time.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yes. I'm sure the floor of every single head coach in the league is 9-7, 10-6, 11-5, 12-4, 7-10, 9-8, and 9-8 in a 7 year span.

Every team wins all of the time.

I don’t think it’s fair to think it’s ridiculous the last three years combined with the fact that we weren’t heading the right direction in key areas after a ton of resources invested. You’re adding Russ years to make your argument stronger. I get people love Pete and for a lot of reasons I do too but it’s entirely ok to think a new coach can make this team better and/or head in a positive direction moving forward.

Geno regressed this year, defense regressed this year and has been bad for YEARS. The cap situation isn’t good, the roster is ok, Pete said he just needed to coach it better when pinned on it and I could go on and on.

Again it’s ok if you wanted to keep Pete for another year or two even if I think that’s baffling, and it’s ok for me, Fade or whoever else to want a change even if you think that’s baffling. We gotta quit remind each other every time and just agree to disagree.

James in PA

Reaction score
I'm still terrified of Quinn. Every time I start to think that it's down to either MacDonald or Johnson, I see something from some "insider" knucklehead stating that they think Quinn is still the front runner. The 12s are going to riot if this happens.

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
There's an old saying that applies here: Don't sweat the petty stuff, rather pet the sweaty stuff. Get some sleep at night, bro. There's no sense worrying about it.

Personally, I think that they're not going with Quinn as if they were, they would have hired him already. They have to know him better than any of the other candidates, so maybe they're just helping an old friend get a little leverage on his new employer by making them think that he might sign with us.
I lose sleep at night over a lot of things. The identity of the Seahawks next coach is not one.

Jac

Reaction score
We need the Lions or the Ravens to lose to start getting resolution on this…but them winning is how the 49ers don’t win a SB, so hopefully the present stays under the tree for a while longer…

Ozzy

Reaction score
Let’s just look at specifics. The defense last year was near bottom. Pete said he would fix it, invested almost all their resources into fixing it and it turned out to be even worse (near worst in the entire league). He said this off season he was close and just needs to coach it better.

In what world is that good enough OR in what world that even if you disagree, is it not ok to want a little better or at least the chance of it being better where even if you disagree you sort of get the sentiment?

Jac

Reaction score
Let’s just look at specifics. The defense last year was near bottom. Pete said he would fix it, invested almost all their resources into fixing it and it turned out to be even worse (near worst in the entire league). He said this off season he was close and just needs to coach it better.

In what world is that good enough OR in what world that even if you disagree, is it not ok to want a little better or at least the chance of it being better where even if you disagree you sort of get the sentiment?
He’s a “defensive head coach”, and that’s been the worst part of this team since the SB era despite all the resources thrown at it. This year’s innovation was having Clint Hurtt up in the box. This wasn’t going to get better.

Latest posts