How do you feel about Russell Wilson now?

Willyeye

Reaction score
In the past, there have been a number of posters on this site that regarded Russell in a bit of a negative light (you know who you are!). I don't want to debate that, but I'm just curious if any of his doubters have changed their opinions of him, and to what extent? It seems to me like he has turned a corner, and I want to know if I'm still just being a homer. Let me know how you really feel :D

northseahawk

Reaction score
Personally, I couldn't stand him anymore during the first half of the season. But I knew it wasn't that he was lacking talent or skills. It was him playing like he just didn't care anymore and was prioritizing his out of football life and on the field he was playing awful, from not trusting his oline, not trusting his recievers, and making dumb choices.

So the frustrating part was knowing what kind of person n player he is but seemed totally like a different person in that phase.

But now, I can see his passion, desire n passion being back. He seems to be in the zone again and fully dedicated. And it's translating on to his play.

Coincidentally, ever since he's come on this streak n his excellent play, we haven't heard a word about Ciera or any celebrity parties, photo shoots, property purchases, etc. :D

Mojambo

Reaction score
northseahawk":ym00sapn said:
Personally, I couldn't stand him anymore during the first half of the season. But I knew it wasn't that he was lacking talent or skills. It was him playing like he just didn't care anymore and was prioritizing his out of football life and on the field he was playing awful, from not trusting his oline, not trusting his recievers, and making dumb choices.

So the frustrating part was knowing what kind of person n player he is but seemed totally like a different person in that phase.

But now, I can see his passion, desire n passion being back. He seems to be in the zone again and fully dedicated. And it's translating on to his play.

Coincidentally, ever since he's come on this streak n his excellent play, we haven't heard a word about Ciera or any celebrity parties, photo shoots, property purchases, etc. :D

You should read up on confirmation bias some time.

Rob12

Reaction score
Same way I felt the moment we drafted him - ecstatic.

Kid is the real deal and this is just the beginning.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Wow, we have a mind reader in the thread. I guess his early 'struggles' had nothing to do with a totally new offensive line combo that couldn't initially do anything right. Nope, we will just chock it up to watered-down 'desire' because of external factors or some other cliché cause fabricated by somebody's over-active imagination.

Now, when he starts doing well, which SO VERY ODDLY has coincided with improved OL play and Bevell installing a more quick-hitting game plan (driven by an 'ALARMING' sack rate), we should just chalk all of that up to coincidence. Also we should ignore that he and Graham were still a work-in-progress synergy-wise.

Gotcha! Whew, some of you should be in sports psychology.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
The same way I always felt about him. He's a great quarterback to have on your team. He's at best one of the top quarterbacks in the league and at worst he's still top 10. Any team would be happy with finding a talent like him.

Threedee

Reaction score
I always assumed he could be a good pocket passer based upon his instincts and accuracy he has flashed on some of his passes over the years. Then again, I haven't doubted Wilson since midway through his rookie season. The NFC title game was the only time he's ever pissed me off.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Threedee":3a1v2n0n said:
I always assumed he could be a good pocket passer based upon his instincts and accuracy he has flashed on some of his passes over the years. Then again, I haven't doubted Wilson since midway through his rookie season. The NFC title game was the only time he's ever pissed me off.

All he's ever needed is a hint of consistency from OL pass pro. Sprinkle in a TY Hilton-style receiver with even better hands and feel for the game, and VIOLA! Suddenly you see the man (Russ) separate himself from the boy (Andrew Cluck).

AVL

Reaction score
I feel about the same since I first saw him playing at state. I was a casual observer of football with no alliances at the time.

I have always found Wilson's on field play to be highly entertaining, especially when he slips through time slightly gaining a step. I also laugh at those who don't see it, quietly, of course.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":2xaql926 said:

Uhhh....no.
http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20975664,00.html

justafan

Reaction score
To me it seems like a light came on and he has the confidence to let it rip and get rid of the ball in sync with the routes consistently.I really didnt see it happening this year if ever.

He has amazed me at every step of his career

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I would say my opinion is pretty much unchanged. Barring injury, he will be competing for a spot amongst the top ten QBs to ever play the game*. Hig biggest obstacle will be the historical bias against scrambling QBs. Even if he concludes his career with elite passing numbers, there will be those who view him as a scrambling QB. He will need better numbers than the classic statues to get the consideration he will deserve.

I have had my criticisms, especially early this season, about his struggle to play up to what I believe is his potential, and his lack of progress as a passer. I think some people, in this hyperbole driven board, have interpreted that as me thinking Russ is a bad QB or something. (Kind of like people think I am criticizing Russ when I say that he makes his offensive line look worse than it really is)

Even though I thought it was, perhaps, premature to offer him the contract they did, I didn't think it was a bad decision to lock him up. The contract signed is probably a little low for his potential, a little premature given his lack of progress as a passer before this season, but necessary to prevent a bidding war next year. In retrospect, the Hawks look like they got a great deal.

The biggest change I have been looking for (and have started to see since mid-season) is in his early game confidence and calmness. He has always excelled once he settled down into a game and got into his rhythm, but frequently struggled and played tight early in the game. Errant early passes were pretty common, especially overthrowing wide open receivers. He also tended to be less patient in the pocket early in the game. He has made big strides in improving this part of his game. Certainly other team aspects have helped (pass pro, game plan), but I really think his early game accuracy and patience is markedly improved.

He still needs to get better about stepping into his deep throws and getting them past the receiver. Compared to other elite passers, his receivers too frequently need to adjust their routes (either slowing down or coming back for the ball). If he starts hitting those guys in stride...

All in all, my opinion isn't much changed, but that is because I have had extremely high expectations for him, probably similar to his expectations of himself, and my criticisms have come when he doesn't meet up to these expectations.

-bsd

*My official position. Feel free to quote it back to me at any time.

Rat

Reaction score
If you didn't like him before, after two consecutive Super Bowl seasons where he also lit up the stat sheet, I don't know why you would suddenly like him now.

rcaido

Reaction score
bigskydoc":205hh5o4 said:
I would say my opinion is pretty much unchanged. Barring injury, he will be competing for a spot amongst the top ten QBs to ever play the game*. Hig biggest obstacle will be the historical bias against scrambling QBs. Even if he concludes his career with elite passing numbers, there will be those who view him as a scrambling QB. He will need better numbers than the classic statues to get the consideration he will deserve.

I have had my criticisms, especially early this season, about his struggle to play up to what I believe is his potential, and his lack of progress as a passer. I think some people, in this hyperbole driven board, have interpreted that as me thinking Russ is a bad QB or something. (Kind of like people think I am criticizing Russ when I say that he makes his offensive line look worse than it really is)

Even though I thought it was, perhaps, premature to offer him the contract they did, I didn't think it was a bad decision to lock him up. The contract signed is probably a little low for his potential, a little premature given his lack of progress as a passer before this season, but necessary to prevent a bidding war next year. In retrospect, the Hawks look like they got a great deal.

The biggest change I have been looking for (and have started to see since mid-season) is in his early game confidence and calmness. He has always excelled once he settled down into a game and got into his rhythm, but frequently struggled and played tight early in the game. Errant early passes were pretty common, especially overthrowing wide open receivers. He also tended to be less patient in the pocket early in the game. He has made big strides in improving this part of his game. Certainly other team aspects have helped (pass pro, game plan), but I really think his early game accuracy and patience is markedly improved.

He still needs to get better about stepping into his deep throws and getting them past the receiver. Compared to other elite passers, his receivers too frequently need to adjust their routes (either slowing down or coming back for the ball). If he starts hitting those guys in stride...

All in all, my opinion isn't much changed, but that is because I have had extremely high expectations for him, probably similar to his expectations of himself, and my criticisms have come when he doesn't meet up to these expectations.

-bsd

*My official position. Feel free to quote it back to me at any time.

I'd hate to be your son. In 4 years he has broken pretty much every record for the first 4 years. Has been in the playoffs 4 for 4. Gone to two Superbowls. Won one & is currently a top 5 QB...

For me, i never saw him play in college but i was really rooting for him to get the starting job over Flynn. Ever since he continues to amaze me. As a sports fan, we are lucky & blessed to have Wilson play for our state. He will go down as one of the best of all time.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Any thread that even pretends to debate the merits of Russell Wilson is a total waste of time.

Just watch the man play and enjoy it.