How do you feel about Russell Wilson now?

erik2690

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3sv7mcmi said:
Hawk-Lock":3sv7mcmi said:
When the team sucks no one likes RW.

When the team does good everyone loves RW.

I guess that's sports for you.
The problem people had with Russell Wilson started in the offseason with the chatter about his contract. He brought the negotiations in the public sphere and was very vocal about wanting to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. He also took a passive aggressive stance that rubbed some people the wrong way. When he finally did sign his deal he was under performing when you consider the amount of money he was bringing in. At the beggining of the year he was not playing good football.

That being said, I really like his progression as a pocket passer. It isn't just improvement in the offensive line, Wilson has really changed up his game. He's getting the ball out of his hand a lot quicker, and he's starting to throw the football with anticipation. His ball placement on short routes is also markidly improved. Wilson is much more decisive with the ball than he ever has been. I think the best way to describe Wilson is that lately he has known when to hold em' and known when to fold em.

I feel like their are some false or at least overblown statements here. Scheinder was the first to say anything publicly I believe (team friendly indication/'he knows we need to keep a lot of pieces'). Wilson really never said much, you can go back and look, it was always very vague 'paid what I'm worth' type stuff. It was public as so many of these are, but not in any outlier sort of way. How can you claim "very vocal" about highest paid when those words literally never came out of his mouth (at least not in the context of demanding that)? How is it possible to be "very vocal" about a thing that he was entirely vague about and never said "highest paid"? "Passive aggressive".... you mean tweets you decided to read specific meaning into?

This is the "highest paid" talk: Cole spoke to Wilson's agent Mark Rodgers who "did not necessarily deny that he has asked" for the biggest deal in the league and "did not dispute it in any way."

So Wilson's agent would not deny wanting the biggest contract.......or Wilson being "very vocal" about wanting it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1lw1q9jp said:
At the time I was very critical of his play. He has addressed the issues which concerned me and is playing like a champ so I'm extremely happy with him.

I think what people don't get about criticism is that it's not a permanent state of being. Criticism happens when a player is playing poorly and does not mean we feel that way forever.

Nice post. My feelings precisely.

Over the course of our first 9 games, I ripped into Russell unmercifully. He was playing like chit IMO, losing games for us. Yet there were some that were contending that because of his stats, he was having a career year. More than I can handle. My bad that I hold the QB responsible for things like offensive points scored, first downs, red zone efficiency, and our W/L record.

Rob12

Reaction score
RiverDog":1ouxfims said:
KiwiHawk":1ouxfims said:
At the time I was very critical of his play. He has addressed the issues which concerned me and is playing like a champ so I'm extremely happy with him.

I think what people don't get about criticism is that it's not a permanent state of being. Criticism happens when a player is playing poorly and does not mean we feel that way forever.

Over the course of our first 9 games, I ripped into Russell unmercifully. He was playing like chit IMO, losing games for us. Yet there were some that were contending that because of his stats, he was having a career year. More than I can handle. My bad that I hold the QB responsible for things like offensive points scored, first downs, red zone efficiency, and our W/L record.

Wouldn't quite say he was losing games for us. He was struggling at times, sure. I was at the Carolina game when we repeatedly went three and out, and the defense was on the field - a lot. But most of that was the offensive line growing up and getting dominated in a big game, and Cam realizing that Cary Williams was his huckleberry. Those issues have seemingly been eliminated. I think RW has always had his recent in him, and can sustain it. But when other parts of the team aren't rolling, he's going to struggle.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
With RW's leadership, skill set, & sharp decision making skills, I have the up most confidence in him going forward, & leading this team! :th2thumbs:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
lobohawk":1r3orfp3 said:
Wilson treats team and OL.

"Russell Wilson played some Santa Claus to the Seahawks today giving every coach, player and trainer 2 roundtrip tickets on Alaska Airlines.
And Wilson's special gift for all of his offensive linemen? Movado watches."

~Bob Condotta

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/16914/predicting-a-seahawks-blowout-over-the-rams

Hell of a lot better gift than Uggs. If I was Cam, I would be a lot more worried about taking some extra hits after this Christmas.

-bsd

RiverDog

Reaction score
Rob12":2a9izy1k said:
RiverDog":2a9izy1k said:
KiwiHawk":2a9izy1k said:

Wouldn't quite say he was losing games for us. He was struggling at times, sure. I was at the Carolina game when we repeatedly went three and out, and the defense was on the field - a lot. But most of that was the offensive line growing up and getting dominated in a big game, and Cam realizing that Cary Williams was his huckleberry. Those issues have seemingly been eliminated. I think RW has always had his recent in him, and can sustain it. But when other parts of the team aren't rolling, he's going to struggle.

Losing games for us might be a little strong. But he damn sure wasn't winning them for us like he had in the past. He wasn't converting on 3rd down or in the red zone.

Sure, the OL was new and struggling mightily. But that doesn't explain all of our offensive troubles. Russell wasn't making his reads or finding the open receiver. As all quarterbacks must, he bears a disproportionate share of the responsibility for that woefully inadequate offense of 5 weeks ago.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Rob12":33wnre4x said:
RiverDog":33wnre4x said:
KiwiHawk":33wnre4x said:

Same holds true for every great QB, if everyone around them play bad they do not look as good, only here on this forum do we have some that think if we loose or play bad it is all because of Wilson. There is a difference between balanced knowledgeable criticism, and blind over the top finger pointing blame. But that is what happens when you some looking for excuses to pounce even when the facts, and stats show they are wrong.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Anthony!":nt0u9x9l said:
Same holds true for every great QB, if everyone around them play bad they do not look as good, only here on this forum do we have some that think if we loose or play bad it is all because of Wilson. There is a difference between balanced knowledgeable criticism, and blind over the top finger pointing blame. But that is what happens when you some looking for excuses to pounce even when the facts, and stats show they are wrong.

Only here in this forum? And exactly who was it that said that if we lose or play bad that it's all because of Wilson? I know it wasn't me.

You're making things up. I have never seen anyone anywhere say that we lost or played poorly ALL because of Wilson.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RiverDog":knkasuaj said:
Anthony!":knkasuaj said:

Only here in this forum? And exactly who was it that said that if we lose or play bad that it's all because of Wilson? I know it wasn't me.

You're making things up. I have never seen anyone anywhere say that we lost or played poorly ALL because of Wilson.

LOL I rest my case

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Willyeye":3k9xmtdg said:
Just saw a little fan article on our WR's. Lockett, Baldwin and Kearse are all having an insanely good season...is it the WR's, or is it Russell?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/12/22/10 ... onal-stats

Classic 'chicken or the egg' argument.

Best answer is rather cliché, but it takes all parties to have this kind of success. IMO, the WR's, especially Baldwin, have always been pretty good. Lockett improving at an astronomical rate helped immensely. The QB has always been good, with sky-high potential. The up-tempo offense and improved OL play has finally ALLOWED the progression we were expecting from Russell earlier in the season. Russ can be capable all day, but unless he gets the outlets and protection, that potential will be untapped. That brings me back to Lockett. He compliments an up-tempo offense because of his quickness/ability to get open. Our offense came alive in similar fashion when P-Rich was healthy last season. Baldwin's quickness has ALWAYS better suited to up-tempo, so I guess the "alarming sack rate" we saw in the first half of the season was a blessing in disguise. It forced the coaches hand to re-design some of the offense in a way that suits not just the WR strengths, but the aggressive, athletic OL and current stable of running backs. Overall improved OL play was a very large cherry on the top, but the tweak that Baldwin claims was 100percent 'execution' was the catalyst that set all of the good things we see in motion, IMHO.

irocdave

Reaction score
I will take the bait. I have been critical of RW, especially considering what he was going to be paid this year. He has shown the progress he needs to in the 2nd half of the season that he needs to. Some Hawk fans were crowning RW greatest ever before he is ready to be crowned, like 2 years ago. Deal with it, at the time, he wasn't close. He still has a way to go, and like I said last year I "believe" he can be, just had not been leaned on to show it game in and out. He is now showing that "it" thing CONSISTANLY that all great QB's have that make them sustainable in the NFL as "Elite". Take away the run game, defense, receivers and see if the Hawks are competitive. I don't understand how people get butt hurt over criticism with RW's game when he wasn't playing well, then try and toss that back in to people face.

RW has been playing lights out and deserves the credit he is getting the last 5 games, even against lower end defenses. It's the NFL, the difference between great and mediocre is small. And that's what people that crowned RW 2 years ago need to understand.

Keep it up for another 5 years and he may have a shot at the HOF. That is what it will take. Crowning him greatest ever right now is just dumb. I really hope and think he can be the GOAT, but he hasn't done it yet. Wait until he has before giving him the crown.

Enjoy the ride, it can only go down from here, it is the best run of the Hawks history, why squabble over why. Enjoy it, it doesn't last long.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Anthony!":1847xm3x said:
RiverDog":1847xm3x said:
Anthony!":1847xm3x said:

LOL I rest my case

You can't face up to my challenge that your observation is a complete fabrication so you are going to let my accusation stand by resting your case?

But to give credit where credit is due, you are wise to quit while you're behind. :0190l:

mrblitz

Reaction score
i remember when russell seemed disinterested and we were losing, i was saying to (next season) release russell and bring in kaep.

since then, i don't think kaep will ever be as good as russell has proven to be. russell is uncanny.

i do think kaep could be coached into a pretty good qb, but russell has moved on to another level.

sometimes, it's good to be mistaken (wrong)...

Anthony!

Reaction score
RiverDog":f4il7x96 said:
Anthony!":f4il7x96 said:
RiverDog":f4il7x96 said:
Anthony!":f4il7x96 said:

LOL I rest my case

You can't face up to my challenge that your observation is a complete fabrication so you are going to let my accusation stand by resting your case?

But to give credit where credit is due, you are wise to quit while you're behind. :0190l:

Dude first off did I say you? NO but the fact you had to come out and act like a guilty person says a lot. Only the guilty feel they need to defend themselves. My observation is not a fabrication but a fact tell you what reread all the stuff posted here over the last few months, and you will see, oh and do so with an open mind if you can. If I were you I would just move on.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Anthony!":11afg932 said:
Dude first off did I say you? NO but the fact you had to come out and act like a guilty person says a lot. Only the guilty feel they need to defend themselves. My observation is not a fabrication but a fact tell you what reread all the stuff posted here over the last few months, and you will see, oh and do so with an open mind if you can. If I were you I would just move on.

No, you didn't say it was me because I never said anything close to what you are claiming, and you know it.

The question still stands: Name just one poster in this forum that said anything remotely close that has blamed our losing or poor play EXCLUSIVELY on Wilson? Just one name will do.

And earlier this year, didn't you bug out of another Hawks forum due at least in part to the criticism being leveled towards Russell? Doesn't that fact render false the other part of your claim, that it's only on .net that Russell has faced this imaginary criticism of yours?

If you will just admit that you over exaggerated, I'll leave you alone and move on. I'm not trying to embarrass or humble you, just trying to get you to admit that like the rest of us, that you can be wrong on occasion.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RiverDog":2kdd3sd7 said:
Anthony!":2kdd3sd7 said:

No, you didn't say it was me because I never said anything close to what you are claiming, and you know it.

The question still stands: Name just one poster in this forum that said anything remotely close that has blamed our losing or poor play EXCLUSIVELY on Wilson? Just one name will do.

And earlier this year, didn't you bug out of another Hawks forum due at least in part to the criticism being leveled towards Russell? Doesn't that fact render false the other part of your claim, that it's only on .net that Russell has faced this imaginary criticism of yours?

If you will just admit that you over exaggerated, I'll leave you alone and move on. I'm not trying to embarrass or humble you, just trying to get you to admit that like the rest of us, that you can be wrong on occasion.

dude you are making your self look pretty foolish just stop.