"How aggressive do you want to be here?"

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Okay - I don't have specific examples, but there's one thing that makes me see red pretty much every time it happens.

End of the first half approaching. Whatever team is down a score or some points. They have like, you know 1:15 or :53 or :45 or something on the clock. A couple/three time outs in the bag.

One of the announcers inevitably says something like: "How aggressive do you want to be here?".

Every single time I'm basically yelling at the screen: "******* aggressive. Go for it. Why the hell would you do anything else?!".

And at least 1/2 the time (seemingly), I see the team (us included) - just basically take a knee and head to the locker room.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding some basic fundamental principle of competition or some basic football premise, or something - but it drives me NUTS. Particularly when WE do it.

I mean, take a couple deep shots or a hail mary or two. I gotta think that the analytics on intercepted plays in the final minute of a half, and being returned for points is like VERY small.

Rant off ;)

sutz

Reaction score
Probably mostly depends on how deep in your own territory you are and whether or not you get the second half kickoff or not. Not to mention where you are in the season and the standings. Taking deep throws from your own 10 yard line risks giving the ball back to the other guy in several different ways with time left on the clock.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Probably mostly depends on how deep in your own territory you are and whether or not you get the second half kickoff or not. Not to mention where you are in the season and the standings. Taking deep throws from your own 10 yard line risks giving the ball back to the other guy in several different ways with time left on the clock.
Well if you heave it 50 or 60 yards down, and do it when you're over your own 20 - c'mon - ! It's not coming back and surrendering field position unless it's intercepted and run all the way back - which was kinda my point -

AND, with the Refs handing out DPI calls like Lynch with a bag of Skittles - chances are like 50/50 you're gonna get the call anyhow?

I'm not seeing the downside......

keasley45

Reaction score
Well if you heave it 50 or 60 yards down, and do it when you're over your own 20 - c'mon - ! It's not coming back and surrendering field position unless it's intercepted and run all the way back - which was kinda my point -

AND, with the Refs handing out DPI calls like Lynch with a bag of Skittles - chances are like 50/50 you're gonna get the call anyhow?

It's all about the situation. If you're down by a ton, sure. You go for it. But if the game is a chess match and relatively close, if you're getting the 2nd half kickoff, you might not want to risk having your qb get sack stripped and giving the opponent the ball.

The laws of probability lead most coaches to NOT be overly aggressive if they don't have to or if the likelihood of success isn't high. The game truly is more often lost than it is won. And so as much as keeping your foot on the gas sounds smart because it's putting pressure on the opposition, it's also providing them opportunity.

There's also the knowledge that the more plays you run, the higher the likelihood of unnecessary injury.

But I do see teams like the 9ers and Rams often staying aggressive late in the half. But again. It depends on the opponent and the their ability / tendency to put up big points themselves.

Raifers

Reaction score

It depends. Forgot which game I was just watching but a team had it with under a minute left and were aggressive. They ended up barely using any time and punting to the other team with plenty of time for them to come back and they had a pretty good shot and getting 3 points.

xray

Reaction score
What would Air Coryell do ? :)