How do you feel about Russell Wilson now?

razor150

Reaction score
Anthony!":2q2li6gd said:
RiverDog":2q2li6gd said:
Anthony!":2q2li6gd said:
Dude first off did I say you? NO but the fact you had to come out and act like a guilty person says a lot. Only the guilty feel they need to defend themselves. My observation is not a fabrication but a fact tell you what reread all the stuff posted here over the last few months, and you will see, oh and do so with an open mind if you can. If I were you I would just move on.

No, you didn't say it was me because I never said anything close to what you are claiming, and you know it.

The question still stands: Name just one poster in this forum that said anything remotely close that has blamed our losing or poor play EXCLUSIVELY on Wilson? Just one name will do.

And earlier this year, didn't you bug out of another Hawks forum due at least in part to the criticism being leveled towards Russell? Doesn't that fact render false the other part of your claim, that it's only on .net that Russell has faced this imaginary criticism of yours?

If you will just admit that you over exaggerated, I'll leave you alone and move on. I'm not trying to embarrass or humble you, just trying to get you to admit that like the rest of us, that you can be wrong on occasion.

dude you are making your self look pretty foolish just stop.

I am pretty sure you are the only one looking foolish here, but that is just me. What you claimed is complete nonsense, and you refuse to back up your claim.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
razor150":29kcg1mn said:
Anthony!":29kcg1mn said:
RiverDog":29kcg1mn said:
Anthony!":29kcg1mn said:
Dude first off did I say you? NO but the fact you had to come out and act like a guilty person says a lot. Only the guilty feel they need to defend themselves. My observation is not a fabrication but a fact tell you what reread all the stuff posted here over the last few months, and you will see, oh and do so with an open mind if you can. If I were you I would just move on.

No, you didn't say it was me because I never said anything close to what you are claiming, and you know it.

The question still stands: Name just one poster in this forum that said anything remotely close that has blamed our losing or poor play EXCLUSIVELY on Wilson? Just one name will do.

And earlier this year, didn't you bug out of another Hawks forum due at least in part to the criticism being leveled towards Russell? Doesn't that fact render false the other part of your claim, that it's only on .net that Russell has faced this imaginary criticism of yours?

If you will just admit that you over exaggerated, I'll leave you alone and move on. I'm not trying to embarrass or humble you, just trying to get you to admit that like the rest of us, that you can be wrong on occasion.

I am pretty sure you are the only one looking foolish here, but that is just me. What you claimed is complete nonsense, and you refuse to back up your claim.
Downers dog pile?...Pretty lame.

Anthony!

Reaction score
razor150":3j4x1tof said:
Anthony!":3j4x1tof said:
RiverDog":3j4x1tof said:
Anthony!":3j4x1tof said:

I have baked it up numerous times in this forum and he knows it, he can go find it himself, as can you. To actually come out her ad try to deny some of the BS said is just plain stupid. so no I look fine, I am not in denial like others here.

Seafan

Reaction score
Bevell's play calling has been why Russ has been up and down this season. Putting in the quick rhythm/spread offense has played to RW's strengths while minimizing the OLs weaknesses and the lack of a running game. When you try to have slower developing stuff the offense gets killed. Bevell's inconsistency sucks. He needs to stick to what works and I blame him for taking 9 games to figure it out.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seafan":3qe8ye66 said:
Bevell's play calling has been why Russ has been up and down this season. Putting in the quick rhythm/spread offense has played to RW's strengths while minimizing the OLs weaknesses and the lack of a running game. When you try to have slower developing stuff the offense gets killed. Bevell's inconsistency sucks. He needs to stick to what works and I blame him for taking 9 games to figure it out.

I agree and it seemed like he tried going back to it today a little, dumb

Seafan

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":jyz2rze0 said:
Rumor floating around that Russ has a serious injury. Possibly his knee. Just a rumor at this point.

If that is true the season is over.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":fk9grhe5 said:
Russ at podium now, looking ok. There was word that he was receiving pretty extensive treatment on his knee, which delayed his appearance at the post game press conference.

He did look like he hurt his knee, but that was either in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. If it was anything serious, there's no way they would have let him continue.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1usieznh said:
FlyHawksFly":1usieznh said:
Russ at podium now, looking ok. There was word that he was receiving pretty extensive treatment on his knee, which delayed his appearance at the post game press conference.

He did look like he hurt his knee, but that was either in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. If it was anything serious, there's no way they would have let him continue.

agreed

Hawks46

Reaction score
Oh no, he sucks again ! :twisted:

Seriously ,it looked like he took a helmet to his knee when he slid (which I don't understand how a defender gets away with hitting a QB while sliding helmet first, but that's a post for another thread).

I'm guessing it's just a bruise of some sort. Nothing looked tweaked or strained. He definitely had some issues with it during the game; I saw him grab it twice after a hit and he was a bit gimpy. First time I've ever seen him hurt, he handled it well.

RiverDog

Reaction score
razor150":2i4bpf8p said:
[I am pretty sure you are the only one looking foolish here, but that is just me. What you claimed is complete nonsense, and you refuse to back up your claim.

Agreed, except that it ain't just you that thinks he's looking foolish.

I'm still waiting for that answer, Anthony. Which poster was it that blamed our losing and poor play all on Russell? And are you sure you want to stand behind your statement that it's only here in .Net that Russell has had to face this make believe criticism of yours?

olyfan63

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2a1x1zb1 said:
rcaido":2a1x1zb1 said:
I'd hate to be your son. In 4 years he has broken pretty much every record for the first 4 years. Has been in the playoffs 4 for 4. Gone to two Superbowls. Won one & is currently a top 5 QB...
--snip--
--snip--
In spite of a league average offensive line, and a group of second and third tier receivers, Wilson has arguably had the best first four years of any NFL QB in history. Certainly his team statistics exceed those of any other QB in history.

He has had the luxury of the #1 defense during that stretch, as well as the support of a RB that masks many of the deficiencies in the offensive line and the game plan, at least up until this year. Combine this with the fact that most scrambling QBs experience a steep drop off when they lose a step, and are required to carry the team on their arm, and perhaps you can understand why someone might want to see more success in the passing game from a guy who will be tying up a huge percent of our salary cap for the foreseeable future.

What he hasn't done, until the second half of this season, is demonstrate his ability to excel in the skills that will be necessary to have long-term success in the NFL. I believe, and I think he believes, that he can be an elite passer. He will need to be able to dissect a defense with his arm, instead of his legs, to maintain his current level of success when he loses a step (unless you think his success is, and will be, attributable to his supporting cast).

This last five games, he has demonstrated these abilities. If my expectations for Wilson are sky high, that is because they match the expectations that Wilson has for himself. The fact that I am critical of his areas of weakness in no way belies my opinion that Russell Wilson will be competing for a position in the pantheon of the ten best quarterbacks to ever play the game. If other quarterbacks went from average first four years to elite careers, just imagine what Wilson can do with the foundation of success that is represented by his first four years.

- bsd

I felt the post that made it about your children was an off-topic cheap shot, approaching trolling. It didn't really deserve a response on that. Your original critique of Wilson was more than fair and I expect involved things that Wilson would have even higher expectations of himself.

As most of us other than RCaido realize, analyzing the play of a sports celebrity making $20M a year is a whole different deal than supporting the overall development of a family member, who may or may not ever be a professional athlete. None of us has any responsibility for Russell's *development* as an NFL QB. We only get to watch, *evaluate* (critique) from afar, and hopefully enjoy. All of us ARE responsible for helping our children in their own ongoing development in ALL areas of life, not just sports. Development of a family member, vs. evaluation from afar of sports celebrities, two very different things.

Jville

Reaction score
Willyeye":xmfm64ta said:
Just saw a little fan article on our WR's. Lockett, Baldwin and Kearse are all having an insanely good season...is it the WR's, or is it Russell?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/12/22/10 ... onal-stats

If I had to chose, I would credit the quicker and shorter stride receivers.

They have made Russell more comfortable and confident with their symbiotic relationships. I think receivers that can work with shorter gaits, when necessary, can adjust to the ball better and more safely. Wilson often gets the ball off late. On vertical routes the ball comes in under thrown. On crossing routes it shows up thrown behind the receiver. It seems to me that there is some correlation between balls coming out late and injuries. The long striding receivers are paying a higher price. While the shorter quicker receivers are thriving with their opportunities.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Jville":1swmn1m4 said:
Willyeye":1swmn1m4 said:
Just saw a little fan article on our WR's. Lockett, Baldwin and Kearse are all having an insanely good season...is it the WR's, or is it Russell?

They have made Russell more comfortable and confident with their symbiotic relationships. I think receivers that can work with shorter gaits, when necessary, can adjust to the ball better and more safely. Wilson often gets the ball off late. On vertical routes the ball comes in under thrown. On crossing routes it shows up thrown behind the receiver. It seems to me that there is some correlation between balls coming out late and injuries. The long striding receivers are paying a higher price. While the shorter quicker receivers are thriving with their opportunities.

I agree that Russell seems to perform better with the shorter, quicker receivers. I commented earlier in the season that he didn't seem to know how to throw to a big receiver, like Jimmy Graham, to allow him to take full advantage of his height differential over DB's. It seemed to me that he was always trying to drop passes over Graham's shoulder like he would Baldwin or Lockett instead of putting more air under it and forcing him to go up and get it, particularly in the red zone.

I don' think that is by any means a permanent condition, that Russell can teach himself to alter his normal trajectory when the target is Jimmy Graham, but it's going to take some repetition. I'm not familiar with the WR's he's worked with at Wisconsin and NC State, but I know that he really hasn't had a receiver like Graham since he's been with the Hawks, with the closest being Sidney Rice back in his rookie season.

That's part of Russell taking the next step in his development and is a good demonstration that he's not quite there yet and that there are still some refinements in his game that he needs to make.

ospreyhawks

Reaction score
RiverDog":3jnnr0pp said:
Jville":3jnnr0pp said:
Willyeye":3jnnr0pp said:

I agree that Russell seems to perform better with the shorter, quicker receivers. I commented earlier in the season that he didn't seem to know how to throw to a big receiver, like Jimmy Graham, to allow him to take full advantage of his height differential over DB's. It seemed to me that he was always trying to drop passes over Graham's shoulder like he would Baldwin or Lockett instead of putting more air under it and forcing him to go up and get it, particularly in the red zone.

I don' think that is by any means a permanent condition, that Russell can teach himself to alter his normal trajectory when the target is Jimmy Graham, but it's going to take some repetition. I'm not familiar with the WR's he's worked with at Wisconsin and NC State, but I know that he really hasn't had a receiver like Graham since he's been with the Hawks, with the closest being Sidney Rice back in his rookie season.

That's part of Russell taking the next step in his development and is a good demonstration that he's not quite there yet and that there are still some refinements in his game that he needs to make.

At Wisconsin Russell threw for 3k, 33TD/4INT his leading receivers that year were Nick Toon(6'4") 64 receptions 926 yards and 10 TDs and Jared Abbrederis(6'2") 55 receptions 933 yards and 8 TDs

rcaido

Reaction score
olyfan63":1mod1s3m said:
bigskydoc":1mod1s3m said:
rcaido":1mod1s3m said:
I'd hate to be your son. In 4 years he has broken pretty much every record for the first 4 years. Has been in the playoffs 4 for 4. Gone to two Superbowls. Won one & is currently a top 5 QB...
--snip--
--snip--
In spite of a league average offensive line, and a group of second and third tier receivers, Wilson has arguably had the best first four years of any NFL QB in history. Certainly his team statistics exceed those of any other QB in history.

He has had the luxury of the #1 defense during that stretch, as well as the support of a RB that masks many of the deficiencies in the offensive line and the game plan, at least up until this year. Combine this with the fact that most scrambling QBs experience a steep drop off when they lose a step, and are required to carry the team on their arm, and perhaps you can understand why someone might want to see more success in the passing game from a guy who will be tying up a huge percent of our salary cap for the foreseeable future.

What he hasn't done, until the second half of this season, is demonstrate his ability to excel in the skills that will be necessary to have long-term success in the NFL. I believe, and I think he believes, that he can be an elite passer. He will need to be able to dissect a defense with his arm, instead of his legs, to maintain his current level of success when he loses a step (unless you think his success is, and will be, attributable to his supporting cast).

This last five games, he has demonstrated these abilities. If my expectations for Wilson are sky high, that is because they match the expectations that Wilson has for himself. The fact that I am critical of his areas of weakness in no way belies my opinion that Russell Wilson will be competing for a position in the pantheon of the ten best quarterbacks to ever play the game. If other quarterbacks went from average first four years to elite careers, just imagine what Wilson can do with the foundation of success that is represented by his first four years.

- bsd

I felt the post that made it about your children was an off-topic cheap shot, approaching trolling. It didn't really deserve a response on that. Your original critique of Wilson was more than fair and I expect involved things that Wilson would have even higher expectations of himself.

As most of us other than RCaido realize, analyzing the play of a sports celebrity making $20M a year is a whole different deal than supporting the overall development of a family member, who may or may not ever be a professional athlete. None of us has any responsibility for Russell's *development* as an NFL QB. We only get to watch, *evaluate* (critique) from afar, and hopefully enjoy. All of us ARE responsible for helping our children in their own ongoing development in ALL areas of life, not just sports. Development of a family member, vs. evaluation from afar of sports celebrities, two very different things.

Wow just wow & ill leave it at that.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":2m1hbpic said:

Maaaan, SERIOUSLY????
Good grief, This is even more ridiculous than the "Russell Wilson Is Too Short" crap that we've all had to endure since BEFORE he was even Drafted.
At 10 to 20 yards the adjustments that he'd have to make for the six or seven inch difference in height between players is MINISCULE, and at 25 to 50 yards?, forget about it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":vvx576n1 said:
RiverDog":vvx576n1 said:

Maaaan, SERIOUSLY????
Good grief, This is even more ridiculous than the "Russell Wilson Is Too Short" crap that we've all had to endure since BEFORE he was even Drafted.
At 10 to 20 yards the adjustments that he'd have to make for the six or seven inch difference in height between players is MINISCULE, and at 25 to 50 yards?, forget about it.

I'm speaking primarily of red zone opportunities, not the 40-50 yarders. It doesn't appear to me that he's putting the ball high enough when he's throwing to Graham vs. other receivers. The play that Graham got hurt on is a good example. It's just my opinion, but it seems to me that Russell should have put that ball in a spot where the only one that could catch it was Graham and if he's going to miss to miss long, but he under threw it by quite a bit. That play came from the Steelers 24 yard line.

I appreciate the previous poster noting the names and heights of Russell's college receivers. I am not claiming that my observation is correct, only that it's something to think about, ie that Russell may not have that much experience, at least recent experience, in throwing to the big framed receivers like Graham. I think most quarterbacks will tell you that there is a difference throwing to a 6'0 receiver vs. one that's close to 6'8". You can allow for yourself a much larger margin for error, at least in missing long or high on the relatively short routes common in the red zone.

There's really no correlation between my observation and the short quarterback debate. I am simply trying to explain why our red zone offense, particularly as it involved Graham, was a disaster in the first 9 games of the season.

Anthony!

Reaction score
RiverDog":17dxgyf1 said:
razor150":17dxgyf1 said:
[I am pretty sure you are the only one looking foolish here, but that is just me. What you claimed is complete nonsense, and you refuse to back up your claim.

Agreed, except that it ain't just you that thinks he's looking foolish.

I'm still waiting for that answer, Anthony. Which poster was it that blamed our losing and poor play all on Russell? And are you sure you want to stand behind your statement that it's only here in .Net that Russell has had to face this make believe criticism of yours?

And you can do as I said and look for it because you know darn good and well it was said and you are just being hard headed

Anthony!

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2p11hao9 said:
RiverDog":2p11hao9 said:

Maaaan, SERIOUSLY????

Don't worry when he "Masters" that they will come up with something else, like him having to master how to hike it to himself.