How do you feel about Russell Wilson now?

rigelian

Reaction score
It seems like he was finally convinced to trust his receivers and what he saw on his initial read. He now will throw the ball in some very tight windows when before he would pull it back down. So is that Russell or has he been told to just get the ball out on time. I honestly think Pete's emphasis on protecting the ball may have straight jacketed Russell a bit..

RiverDog

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3mqawarf said:
The same way I always felt about him. He's a great quarterback to have on your team. He's at best one of the top quarterbacks in the league and at worst he's still top 10. Any team would be happy with finding a talent like him.

Best answer.

That doesn't mean I wasn't disappointed with him over the course of the first 9 games, but I never thought of him as regressing or that he was no longer our franchise QB, only that he hadn't taken that next step in his development.... and I am not surprised at his performance over the past 5 games.

slateman77

Reaction score
He's the savior we've been looking for all these years...!! And now that the line is giving him a little more time and him getting comfortable with it, look what he is doing....with No Lynch..no Rawls and he is flat out tearing it up...!!..Patience Grasshopper....it's all coming together now...and what a great time for it to happen..!!

Seafan

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":28te94vw said:
Any thread that even pretends to debate the merits of Russell Wilson is a total waste of time.

Just watch the man play and enjoy it.

This.

mrt144

Reaction score
Mojambo":1tokwe93 said:
northseahawk":1tokwe93 said:
Personally, I couldn't stand him anymore during the first half of the season. But I knew it wasn't that he was lacking talent or skills. It was him playing like he just didn't care anymore and was prioritizing his out of football life and on the field he was playing awful, from not trusting his oline, not trusting his recievers, and making dumb choices.

So the frustrating part was knowing what kind of person n player he is but seemed totally like a different person in that phase.

But now, I can see his passion, desire n passion being back. He seems to be in the zone again and fully dedicated. And it's translating on to his play.

Coincidentally, ever since he's come on this streak n his excellent play, we haven't heard a word about Ciera or any celebrity parties, photo shoots, property purchases, etc. :D

You should read up on confirmation bias some time.

For real.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Still love him. I love the decision making.

I said at the beginning of the season that I hoped that we would utilize a quick passing attack to help with expected protection limitations. I wanted Wilson to get the ball out quicker and capitalize on the openings that were apparent on the all 22 that he was missing when he was looking to scramble and extend. And I wanted Seattle to threaten the middle of the field with crossing patterns to make defenses defend us honestly.

Seattle is now doing all of those things. I always felt like Wilson was capable of this kind of production. We've seen it in flashes consistently. But it really seemed like the last several weeks, that we've really locked in to maximizing his opportunities from the pocket and turn flashes of ability into sustained consistency.

Wilson is now making teams pay for modifying their pass rush as a containment rush. They don't sell out and sacrifice containment for openings to create pressure. Even up the middle, you could see pass rushers aborting their rush as they approach him, to peel back and be in position to tackle him when he scrambled up the middle. And Wilson is making them pay for that weaker rush concept. When they spy Russell, we're getting productivity via crossing patterns that the spy is supposed to be responsible for. When teams start to sacrifice containment in order to try to create pass rush -- Wilson will need to adapt and do his scramble thing.

And I think Wilson is capable of making the correct decisions to gash them on scrambles when defenses aren't sound in their rush. He's now at a point where if they don't sell out to get to him, he'll kill them from the pocket. And he's got the mental game to make the right choices and even added the ability to elude rushers in the confines of the phone booth sized pocket to still deliver -- like all franchise QBs can.

Russell is really an amalgam of the best of all worlds. And he's in his third evolution in his development. He is now a QB that can execute the offense from the pocket at an elite level. He's still every bit the maddeningly elusive scrambler he's always been. And he's got the ability mentally to apply his skills equally in response to the dynamic flow of how the defense wants to defend him. He is making that evolution towards an unstoppable force.

Defenses, by their nature have to decide to be aggressive or cover. But either way they have to make a conscious choice to provide points of weakness. Wilson is now at the point where he can exploit whatever weakness a defense decides to offer. And his decision making is now entering the realm where he can consistently exploit every weakness a defense can present in a dynamic fashion.

It's one thing to say you trust your team mates. But it's altogether another to play like it. Wilson's confidence and trust level in his protection and in his receivers is at an all time high. He's seeing plays develop before they are there and his anticipation level and trust level are aligned in almost perfect symmetry. He's throwing guys open and everything seems to be recognizable to him before it develops and unfold.

We may well be at a point where the gold standard for our OL changes from a run first skill set to a protection first skill set. It'll be interesting to see the kinds of OL Seattle targets in UFA and the draft this offseason to see if this sea change manifests itself in our roster building efforts going forward.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I'm still convinced there is only like 4 Wilson haters on the .net, if that. The number people think there are is overblown.

Mick063

Reaction score
Lots of internet folks deal in absolutes. Some folks can't discern micro criticism from macro criticism.

Like if you think Russell is playing poorly, you must believe he will play that way forever.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
It seems like all you have to do is mention Wilson in a subject line and numerous people get mad at you. My purpose here was simple: I feel like Wilson has turned a corner and is playing at another level. I was just curious if fans that are harder to please than me are more confident in Russell now. It was NOT meant to be any debate. Just a simple, "Do the more critical/harder to please fans think Wilson has improved, or am I just being an easy homer?"

bigskydoc

Reaction score
rcaido":1g3wvvjz said:
I'd hate to be your son. In 4 years he has broken pretty much every record for the first 4 years. Has been in the playoffs 4 for 4. Gone to two Superbowls. Won one & is currently a top 5 QB...

For me, i never saw him play in college but i was really rooting for him to get the starting job over Flynn. Ever since he continues to amaze me. As a sports fan, we are lucky & blessed to have Wilson play for our state. He will go down as one of the best of all time.

Are you saying it is wrong for me to hope for him to become an elite pocket passer, with the potential for long-term success, in addition to being one of the best young, scrambling QBs in history? That I shouldn't expect any improvement in his game after the first three years? Just because he set such a high threshold as a foundation, doesn't mean we shouldn't look for areas of potential growth.

Wilson has negotiated the second highest contract in the history of the NFL. He behaves like he believes he is one of the all-time greats. I believe he will be one of the all-time greats. My expectations of him are commensurate with his demands of the team, and our apparent shared belief in his potential.

My son is 10. He is a gray and white belt in Jiu-Jitsu. My expectations of him are commensurate with his current potential. I am proud of him when he wins a consolation round at a tournament. In school, I expect straight A's in math, science, and spelling, but am happy with C's in handwriting. I have slightly different expectations for my daughter. My differing expectations are commensurate with their differing aptitudes.

In spite of a league average offensive line, and a group of second and third tier receivers, Wilson has arguably had the best first four years of any NFL QB in history. Certainly his team statistics exceed those of any other QB in history.

He has had the luxury of the #1 defense during that stretch, as well as the support of a RB that masks many of the deficiencies in the offensive line and the game plan, at least up until this year. Combine this with the fact that most scrambling QBs experience a steep drop off when they lose a step, and are required to carry the team on their arm, and perhaps you can understand why someone might want to see more success in the passing game from a guy who will be tying up a huge percent of our salary cap for the foreseeable future.

What he hasn't done, until the second half of this season, is demonstrate his ability to excel in the skills that will be necessary to have long-term success in the NFL. I believe, and I think he believes, that he can be an elite passer. He will need to be able to dissect a defense with his arm, instead of his legs, to maintain his current level of success when he loses a step (unless you think his success is, and will be, attributable to his supporting cast).

This last five games, he has demonstrated these abilities. If my expectations for Wilson are sky high, that is because they match the expectations that Wilson has for himself. The fact that I am critical of his areas of weakness in no way belies my opinion that Russell Wilson will be competing for a position in the pantheon of the ten best quarterbacks to ever play the game. If other quarterbacks went from average first four years to elite careers, just imagine what Wilson can do with the foundation of success that is represented by his first four years.

- bsd

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
At the time I was very critical of his play. He has addressed the issues which concerned me and is playing like a champ so I'm extremely happy with him.

I think what people don't get about criticism is that it's not a permanent state of being. Criticism happens when a player is playing poorly and does not mean we feel that way forever.

mrt144

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3cc43twj said:
At the time I was very critical of his play. He has addressed the issues which concerned me and is playing like a champ so I'm extremely happy with him.

I think what people don't get about criticism is that it's not a permanent state of being. Criticism happens when a player is playing poorly and does not mean we feel that way forever.

Except it's infuriating when criticism is a permanent state of mind.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Willyeye":1yc6vmeb said:
It seems like all you have to do is mention Wilson in a subject line and numerous people get mad at you. My purpose here was simple: I feel like Wilson has turned a corner and is playing at another level. I was just curious if fans that are harder to please than me are more confident in Russell now. It was NOT meant to be any debate. Just a simple, "Do the more critical/harder to please fans think Wilson has improved, or am I just being an easy homer?"

You know that little emoji with the shit raining down? Thats a RW thread on .net. Particularly when he's not breaking records.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
mrt144":2kzwy114 said:
KiwiHawk":2kzwy114 said:

Except it's infuriating when criticism is a permanent state of mind.
It may appear that way because criticism invites discussion. Agreement is great but it doesn't encourage discussion.

"I think this."
"I agree."
/thread

Vs.

"I think this."
"I disagree and think this."
"I think this because of this."

When all is going well, there's not as much to talk about except how well we're doing, and it's not very controversial.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
We go as far as he carries us. He now is in fact a franchise quarterback like I've believed since 2012 in Kansas City.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
When the team sucks no one likes RW.

When the team does good everyone loves RW.

I guess that's sports for you.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2xss2dnw said:
When the team sucks no one likes RW.

When the team does good everyone loves RW.

I guess that's sports for you.
The problem people had with Russell Wilson started in the offseason with the chatter about his contract. He brought the negotiations in the public sphere and was very vocal about wanting to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. He also took a passive aggressive stance that rubbed some people the wrong way. When he finally did sign his deal he was under performing when you consider the amount of money he was bringing in. At the beggining of the year he was not playing good football.

That being said, I really like his progression as a pocket passer. It isn't just improvement in the offensive line, Wilson has really changed up his game. He's getting the ball out of his hand a lot quicker, and he's starting to throw the football with anticipation. His ball placement on short routes is also markidly improved. Wilson is much more decisive with the ball than he ever has been. I think the best way to describe Wilson is that lately he has known when to hold em' and known when to fold em.