Sherman underrated in our own fan base.

Ozzy

Reaction score
4a29ea4299d394ae860d311df8b00b52.jpg

Twitters response to this is incredible lol

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I'm sure Sherman isn't underrated by our fanbase. Pretty much everyone here agrees Sherman is the undisputed number one cornerback in the NFL and one of the best defensive players overall.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sherman is consistently ranked 4th or 5th best player on the team and I think the stronger argument is him being the best player on the team. Although having 4 or 5 other guys in the argument is a nice predicament to be in

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's cool having a team where so many names could come up in an argument over best on the team etc.
We have come a long way since the Mora(n) era.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
My top three in order are Earl, Sherman and Wilson

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sherman, Lynch, Earl, and Kam are all the best players in the league at their respective positions.

I would say Kam is more underrated by the fan base than Sherman. For whatever reason, there is more appreciation for Kam, as the most feared played in the game, by our opponents and the rest of the league than by our own fans.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
pmedic920":4cftwt1s said:
#4 & #9 = 13......
IMHO that's the two most under rated players by our own fans.

I see what you are saying by doing the math. He he he :mrgreen:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
There were definitely people on this site last year that were complaining about his performance , especially early in the season.

Dave Brown is held in high regard by Hawks fans and rightfully so. But to my eyes Richard is a superior corner.

For those that have an issue with his play I say perhaps you ought to remember the Herndon and Jennings days.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2zpesamn said:
Sherman, Lynch, Earl, and Kam are all the best players in the league at their respective positions.

I would say Kam is more underrated by the fan base than Sherman. For whatever reason, there is more appreciation for Kam, as the most feared played in the game, by our opponents and the rest of the league than by our own fans.

This. Kam is one of the most under appreciated players by the fans. Dude straight up sets the tempo for the D, which the O then feeds off of. #31 is the only jersey I wear on game days.

kearly

Reaction score
As great as Sherman is, I don't know what he'd be doing today had he not landed in Seattle with Pete Carroll. You could say the same thing about Shawn Kemp with George Karl, or Joe Montana with Bill Walsh, etc. Greatness, even GOAT level greatness, doesn't quite feel the same when it is manufactured. Especially when seemingly every other corner in Seattle's system looks pretty good too.

Lynch and Wilson benefit from their surroundings too, but I think Wilson would have been a success almost anywhere, and same for Lynch. Earl probably would have been very good anywhere. Guys like Sherman and Kam, I think they could leave the Seahawks for another team and still be very good, but I don't know if they would have developed into the players they've become without Pete.

As far as who is the best right now, it probably is Sherman, in terms of who stands the tallest among his peers around the league at his position. But considering the difficulty of the jobs Wilson and Lynch do, I think it has to be one of them, and Earl is more vital to the structure of the defense.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":3t3n27p8 said:
As great as Sherman is, I don't know what he'd be doing today had he not landed in Seattle with Pete Carroll. You could say the same thing about Shawn Kemp with George Karl, or Joe Montana with Bill Walsh, etc. Greatness, even GOAT level greatness, doesn't quite feel the same when it is manufactured. Especially when seemingly every other corner in Seattle's system looks pretty good too.

Lynch and Wilson benefit from their surroundings too, but I think Wilson would have been a success almost anywhere, and same for Lynch. Earl probably would have been very good anywhere. Guys like Sherman and Kam, I think they could leave the Seahawks for another team and still be very good, but I don't know if they would have developed into the players they've become without Pete.

No one on this team would be as good as there are today without the development they have received under Carroll, especially Wilson. Our balanced offensive attack and play action passing complements Wilson's strengths and weaknesses extremely well. Even a porous offensive line plays to Wilson's strengths by allowing him to improvise, while still holding the ball longer than any other QB.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":14szcx8i said:
kearly":14szcx8i said:

No one on this team would be as good as there are today without the development they have received under Carroll, especially Wilson.

I agree with your larger point, but disagree about the last two words. Wilson was good right out of the box. He blew away coaches in his very first OTA and forced his way into the QB competition years earlier than planned. Then he dominated the preseason, then had one of the best rookie seasons of all time. I do think having an accommodating coach helped Wilson, but these days any competent coach will accommodate his QB.

I agree with you that Kam is more under-rated than Sherman.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":2s02holj said:
hawknation2015":2s02holj said:
kearly":2s02holj said:

No one on this team would be as good as there are today without the development they have received under Carroll, especially Wilson.

I agree with your larger point, but disagree about the last two words. Wilson was good right out of the box. He blew away coaches in his very first OTA and forced his way into the QB competition years earlier than planned. Then he dominated the preseason, then had one of the best rookie seasons of all time. I do think having an accommodating coach helped Wilson, but these days any competent coach will accommodate his QB.

. . . While being supported by a balanced offensive attack, dominant running game and defense.

I doubt Russell would be as good as he is today without those elements of Carroll's philosophy in place.

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":2nfcp1p1 said:

As far as who is the best right now, it probably is Sherman, in terms of who stands the tallest among his peers around the league at his position. But considering the difficulty of the jobs Wilson and Lynch do, I think it has to be one of them, and Earl is more vital to the structure of the defense.
Ahh, I just don't know dude. I don't know that I've ever seen a corner play with as great of anticipation as Sherman, especially on in-breaking routes. Watching him practice is absolutely insane. Then watching tape, he's even better. I've never seen a guy that so often has to resist breaking on a route because he anticipated it too early. I totally get that we make the most of his abilities, and he is a fantastic fit for what we do, but I think if he is in a scheme that requires more man and more press, I think he might be even better than he is now, and that is scary.

I'm also not totally sure that if Wilson played for a more conventional coordinator that forced him to try to play predominately from the pocket and wing it 40+ times a game, that he would have had tremendous success. I'm sure he'd be good, but to this level? I agree that there aren't that many of these types of coaches left, but this thing was built around his best traits very well. I think we have brought him along absolutely perfectly. When we have relied on him to throw it around, we've looked pretty pedestrian at times.

Earl is a great football player. In any scheme. Kam isn't a cover-2 safety, and needs to be in the box more often than not to be hugely successful.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's tough to see how Sherman could be underrated when every Hawks fan I have talked to considers him the best corner in the NFL. He absolutely had things work out in his favor being drafted by the Seahawks, but every player who has succeeded in the NFL has done so in part because they were in a situation to succeed. To think that Wilson hasn't hugely benefited from Pete's philosophy is a little crazy.

As far as rankings among Hawks players I would probably put Sherman #1 in technical skill, Earl #1 in physical talent, and Kam and Lynch would be tied for #1 in physicality and demeanor. I don't think you could make a strong case that any of those four are better on our team than the others are.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":cq7kf3on said:
I'm also not totally sure that if Wilson played for a more conventional coordinator that forced him to try to play predominately from the pocket and wing it 40+ times a game, that he would have had tremendous success. I'm sure he'd be good, but to this level? I agree that there aren't that many of these types of coaches left, but this thing was built around his best traits very well. I think we have brought him along absolutely perfectly. When we have relied on him to throw it around, we've looked pretty pedestrian at times.

Wilson played in a wide-open passing offense, like the one you describe, at NC State. His production in that kind of offense was not nearly as impressive as his production under the balanced offensive attack that he had at Wisconsin and currently. He never completed 60% of his passes and threw a lot more INTs in three years in that kind of offense.

IMO, Wilson is the perfect QB for our system, and our system is perfect for Wilson.

Rocket

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3thv340s said:
IMO, Wilson is the perfect QB for our system, and our system is perfect for Wilson.
Can we get you to write a letter like this and send it to Wilson's agent?
Purty Pleeze?

Rocket

Reaction score
AgentDib":9t9oy8g3 said:
As far as rankings among Hawks players I would probably put Sherman #1 in technical skill, Earl #1 in physical talent, and Kam and Lynch would be tied for #1 in physicality and demeanor. I don't think you could make a strong case that any of those four are better on our team than the others are.

While Earl is an extreme physical talent, the same must be said about the Beast. His balance and his strength are at the top of the list... and he does it with a bad back. And Earl did it with a bad shoulder.

They are the same, only one's a tad smaller and a bit faster.

EDIT - add the Tight End to that "extreme physical talent" list. Ain't it great? :th2thumbs:

EDIT - add the Quarterback and the Strong Safety too. What the hell, right? :mrgreen: