Has a fan base ever flipped

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I never fully doubted Pete. Go ahead and search my message history if you want (parental guidance is advised).

I was always kind of in the middle. I loved Russ, and I thought it was going to hurt to lose him. But I never thought Pete was in over his head, and a lot of posts on this board were quite persuasive in pointing out Russ's limitations. So I was okay with moving on.

I did post before the season to not be surprised if Geno or Lock exceed expectations, because I always felt that Pete gets the most out of his quarterbacks, and many quarterbacks play their best under him. USC was a QB generating machine back in the day. And they were basically Alabama during those years, aka THE college football team everyone expected to dominate year in and year out.

To sum it up, my mentality was always "let it play out". Because as fans, we just really can't get a super accurate reading on these types of situations.

Nunya

Reaction score
Never once have I believed that Pete Carroll was not the right man for the job. I have always believed that he should coach the team for as long as he feels fit. I do believe, however, that Schnieder has whiffed badly on some drafts. He sure hit the last one out of the park though. I think the team gave up way too much compensation for Jamaal Adams, but that was the last major mistake by the organization. That seems like the distant past now. Regardless, if I personally had to pick the next salary to dump at the first feasible opportunity.........
I think the Jamaal Adams trade was a good decision at the time that only hindsight proved it did not work out as planned. Adams made a huge impact when he first arrived. Makes me wonder what "could have been" had he not been hurt so much.

BigMeach

Reaction score
as quickly as this one has from hating back to liking Pete Carroll? I hope everyone can admit that the vast majority of this forum spent the last 3 years calling for Carroll to be fired. And not just here. People all over Seattle.

Now all of a sudden everyone is pretending like they always supported Pete. Like they always knew Russ was the problem. No, that's revisionist history.

I don't know if I've ever seen a coach's legacy get altered so fast as I have with Pete these last few weeks. He went from "carried by Russ" to one of the top coaches in the NFL and utterly redeemed in less than half a season. The way things worked out, Russ leaving and failing, Pete having success, couldn't have been more drastically positive for Pete.

As a guy who has stood by Pete loyally since the beginning this is all very vindicating.
It's pretty much every fan base I've ever looked hard at. Which might be part of why I'm not one to do it? Seen enough of the sillyness.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
as quickly as this one has from hating back to liking Pete Carroll? I hope everyone can admit that the vast majority of this forum spent the last 3 years calling for Carroll to be fired. And not just here. People all over Seattle.

Now all of a sudden everyone is pretending like they always supported Pete. Like they always knew Russ was the problem. No, that's revisionist history.

I don't know if I've ever seen a coach's legacy get altered so fast as I have with Pete these last few weeks. He went from "carried by Russ" to one of the top coaches in the NFL and utterly redeemed in less than half a season. The way things worked out, Russ leaving and failing, Pete having success, couldn't have been more drastically positive for Pete.

As a guy who has stood by Pete loyally since the beginning this is all very vindicating.
I don't know that it was a "Vast Majority" who'd bailed on Pete, it might have seemed that way as the most Vociferous & Angst filled here started gaining traction with the hyped Fans looking to find the culprit to all of Wilson's problems (see Rcaido & John63/deandc and their ilk)
No pretense on my part, I've always stood by my guns on HC & great guy, Pete Carroll.
Not to say that he's never made mistakes, all HC's do

Mick063

Reaction score
I think the Jamaal Adams trade was a good decision at the time that only hindsight proved it did not work out as planned. Adams made a huge impact when he first arrived. Makes me wonder what "could have been" had he not been hurt so much.
You make valid points but.....

I don't like the transaction even if Adams remains healthy for the entire duration and plays every defensive snap. He is a blitzing safety that has zero eye for the ball. A one trick pony. He couldn't intercept a pass if it stuck in his facemask (Which happens more often than not). Politely put, his pass coverage is a work in progress. Sure, Pete might have been able to turn his game around, but considering what the Seahawks gave up for getting him, this isn't just a hindsight call. This was a bad move from day one.

His replacement more than adequately fills in for him. Actually, this is a legit argument for addition by subtraction. I stand by my statement. Adams was the last big mistake the organization has made. Your hindsight argument works much better for players like Jimmy Graham or Percy Harvin. Players that at least had a track record of previous success with the hope that they could continue it. Adams was a reach from day one.

You do have to give credit to the front office for Marshawn Lynch. Without question, the best trade or free agent acquisition in team history. Add to that, Cliff Avril, and you build a lot of equity for future forgiveness. They have hit on enough players that they have definitely earned the benefit of the doubt.

Having said all that, all past mistakes are forgiven because of the last homerun draft. It really is the best draft haul since.......maybe the Cowboys haul of the nineties. I dunno. You got to wait 15+ years to find out HOF nominations to make legit comparisons.

Last edited:

Nunya

Reaction score
You make valid points but.....

I don't like the transaction even if Adams remains healthy for the entire duration and plays every defensive snap. He is a blitzing safety that has zero eye for the ball. A one trick pony. He couldn't intercept a pass if it stuck in his facemask (Which happens more often than not). Politely put, his pass coverage is a work in progress. Sure, Pete might have been able to turn his game around, but considering what the Seahawks gave up for getting him, this isn't just a hindsight call. This was a bad move from day one.

His replacement more than adequately fills in for him. Actually, this is a legit argument for addition by subtraction. I stand by my statement. Adams was the last big mistake the organization has made. Your hindsight argument works much better for players like Jimmy Graham or Percy Harvin. Players that at least had a track record of previous success and a hope that they could continue it. Adams was a reach from day one.

Having said all that, all is forgiven for the last homerun draft. It really is the best draft haul since.......maybe the Cowboys haul of the nineties. I dunno. You got to wait 15+ years to find out HOF nominations to make legit comparisons.
He was named to the Pro Bowl in his first 4 years in the league. In 2019, other players in the league voted him at 37 in NFL Top 100. In 2020, he was voted 27th in NFL Top 100. Doesn't seem like the one trick pony you feel he is...though I do agree with you that two 1st round picks an a 3rd round pick is an awfully steep price.

Mick063

Reaction score
He was named to the Pro Bowl in his first 4 years in the league. In 2019, other players in the league voted him at 37 in NFL Top 100. In 2020, he was voted 27th in NFL Top 100. Doesn't seem like the one trick pony you feel he is...though I do agree with you that two 1st round picks an a 3rd round pick is an awfully steep price.
Valid points. I was never personally impressed though. Not like I was with Harvin or Graham before they arrived.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I can comfortably say I was wrong about Carroll.

I didn’t think Carroll could adopt current modern NFL concepts but he was able to transition and evolve his system when he got rid of the main problem, Russell Wilson.

Carroll, simultaneously “protected” Wilson from Wilson and the things Wilson could not do well (which Wilson probably still thinks can do well) and doing so, restricted Seattle from “evolving” their offense to a modern offensive NFL system.

I think most dot net posters here are happy to be wrong about Carroll.

I for one, am happy about where Seattle stands right now. It’s like this dark cloud has been lifted with Wilson now on a different team and what we are now seeing from Carroll and Seattle is VERY promising!

Let’s not forget, Seattle has had very terrible drafts over the last decade! Seattle essentially struck gold 3 years, 2012, 2013, and 2022. 3/10 years is not good for keeping the morale up with a fanbase so I cannot be angry with any posters here that has/was falling for Carroll to be fired.

It’s amazing how a solid/elite draft, very quickly, can swing the momentum and morale and energy of a fanbase. We should be no strangers to this.

Great draft by the front office gives this team life again!

I am eager and excited to see how this team does the rest of the season. My 5-12 record prediction can now turn 180 degrees and be 12-5 now!

No shame in admitting posters here may have been “wrong” and now are celebrating and high fiving each other every where we see a 12 with a Seahawks jersey on!

You gotta love it!

Let’s goooooooooooo!!!!

irfuben32

Reaction score
I can admit I thought Pete was done.

I will never doubt Pete Carroll again. Even if they fall back to Earth and end the season around .500.

I have a theory though. I feel like Jody Allen being in the draft room had something to do with this. I think she laid down the edict to quit trying to be so clever and just take quality players with your early round picks. Tariq Woolen was speculative, but that was the 5th round. The proper place to be speculative.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You mean you had an opinion and may have been wrong? Oh the horror. We better start another thread telling everyone how wrong they were. All while telling everyone how we are always right, AND have fans everywhere.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I can admit I thought Pete was done.

I will never doubt Pete Carroll again. Even if they fall back to Earth and end the season around .500.

I have a theory though. I feel like Jody Allen being in the draft room had something to do with this. I think she laid down the edict to quit trying to be so clever and just take quality players with your early round picks. Tariq Woolen was speculative, but that was the 5th round. The proper place to be speculative.
Give me a break. I have heard this Jody Allen put pressure on PC/JS in the draft room and that's why we had a good draft theory from almost every Pete basher on here. It is a completely ridiculous take. Just as ridiculous as the PC/JS keep getting burned in the draft because they get "cute" or think they're clever take.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

You mean you had an opinion and may have been wrong? Oh the horror. We better start another thread telling everyone how wrong they were. All while telling everyone how we are always right, AND have fans everywhere.
Oh good old SoulfishHawk! You have always been such a good fan of mine.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Welshers I suspect the quiet majority while not being happy with Pete in his every decision was not truly hating on him unlike the very vocal minority here.

Let’s face it, it is truly hard to stay on top or near the top of the league year after year. Pn’J have for sure made a lot of personnel moves that have raised eyebrows or have been suspect or simply wrong but they work the problems to try to find answers and have the record which shows they’re more often right.

When he’s finally gone we will miss the heck out of him.
I agree completely. Of course this is just anecdotal but the season ticket holders and longtime fans I know in the region were never particularly down on Pete the coach. After all, he brought us a Super Bowl and lots of playoff runs. Of course there has been concern about our personnel quality and bickering over particular moves, but not the kind of internet vitriol you saw with Seahawks Twitter bleeding off into forums like this one. It's easy to get a incomplete view of the fanbase if you only interact with specific online communities.

Pete's best quality is his leadership and I'm concerned that we don't have a viable option to replace that. The NFL has been full of smart coordinators turning into failed head coaches lately and being good with X's and O's hasn't been translating well to leading organizations. Then again, I would have thought Urban Meyer would bring leadership in spades and that situation was a disaster.

Polk738

Reaction score
I think any fan base will flip if you give it enough time, saw plenty of that watching home games during 2017 when the offense couldn't get a first down to save its life. It was the first time I'd ever heard the fans boo.....I mean REALLY boo, like....damn....so that is what it's like lol.