So...Our base defense is a 2-4 this year?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Poona was/is the opposite of a anchor/hold the LoS. Poona's 1 gap penetrating 1-Tech. He is too small to be a 2 gap player and anchor, and is why he sucked last year when they moved him from 1-Tech to 4i.

Jordan Davis is a huge NT, he doesn't play anywhere else. He isn't moving up and down the LoS. On passing downs he is coming off the field where they will rush Cox and Carter. They still drafted him in the 1st round even though they supposedly moved away from that. Carter is as versatile as any other pass rushing 3-Tech. Like Warren Sapp, you could play him anywhere on the LoS, but his best spot is 3-Tech.

The "ever fluid disguisable unpredictable dynamic attacking style of defense" comment was a riot as well. It's called nickel, everyone in the league has a nickel package. Ha-ha.

Well except the Hawks will put 3 safeties in their nickel package i.e. Big Nickel. So everything is a bit more fluid.

But I see that Philly is a bit of the flavour of the week, where if you aren' copying what they are doing, you are destined to be an also ran. There is more than one way to skin the cat. And there is more to defense to being stout up the middle.

It's a passing league. It's an Edge pressure league. This is where you must be at your best. So much of the failures last year was not getting run on up the gut. It was failing to hold the edge, failing to tackle well at the second level, dropping too deep in zones. We fix those things and I can live with giving up some "power" runs up the gut.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Poona was/is the opposite of a anchor/hold the LoS. Poona's 1 gap penetrating 1-Tech. He is too small to be a 2 gap player and anchor, and is why he sucked last year when they moved him from 1-Tech to 4i.

Jordan Davis is a huge NT, he doesn't play anywhere else. He isn't moving up and down the LoS. On passing downs he is coming off the field where they will rush Cox and Carter. They still drafted him in the 1st round even though they supposedly moved away from that. Carter is as versatile as any other pass rushing 3-Tech. Like Warren Sapp, you could play him anywhere on the LoS, but his best spot is 3-Tech.

The "ever fluid disguisable unpredictable dynamic attacking style of defense" comment was a riot as well. It's called nickel, everyone in the league has a nickel package. Ha-ha.

Not sure what we're arguing about, most of the league is going to a 4-2-5 Eagles-esque defense with a rotation of more versatile linemen, rather than a traditional 4-3 or 3-4.

Mint Front, Jack LB, Jack Safety. It's all the same using different terminolgy.

And if Poona was a one gap like you said, he sure was a bad one. What, 5? 6? TFL's? Pete and John turned the D-line over because they stunk and were too predictable. Thus the switch to the newer scheme.

The question is what scheme are the Hawk's trying to employ. This is it. Aggressiveness, versatility, attacking.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I was up late last night and started watching MNF Pittsburgh Steelers VS
Minnesota Vikings 1976 . The thing that struck me oddly was the 2 teams basically used the same formations 97% of the time. Offense had 2 RB side by side with 1 TE and 2 receivers of course.
No shotgun, no 3 receiver sets. I remember one occasion where Pittsburgh used 2 tight ends . When did things change ? Was it Bill Walsh in SF?

Now everything is specialized ,situational.

Those players from the 70s wouldn't have a chance against the players of today IMHO. The athleticism isn't close.
The punter for Pittsburgh looked like my Dad's drunk welder buddy . It was also pre Free agency so these teams stayed the same for years.

Smellyman

Reaction score
the athleticism is the same, just now there is year round training, nutrition, medical advances, training from very young ages etc etc. Back then they had day jobs and were smoking on the sidelines, wearing helmets that concussed easily and then went back on the field. Humans didn't evolve from sloths to lions in a couple of generations.

Fade

Reaction score
Not sure what we're arguing about, most of the league is going to a 4-2-5 Eagles-esque defense with a rotation of more versatile linemen, rather than a traditional 4-3 or 3-4.

Mint Front, Jack LB, Jack Safety. It's all the same using different terminolgy.

And if Poona was a one gap like you said, he sure was a bad one. What, 5? 6? TFL's? Pete and John turned the D-line over because they stunk and were too predictable. Thus the switch to the newer scheme.

The question is what scheme are the Hawk's trying to employ. This is it. Aggressiveness, versatility, attacking.
The league went 4-2-5 10 years ago.

I was referencing the OP calling it a 2-4.

The key to any 4-2-5 defense is whether your team has three components:
https://footballadvantage.com/4-2-5-defense/

1. A strong, big-bodied, traditional nose tackle who can clog up the middle of the offensive line.

"The nose tackle in a 4-2-5 defense could be perhaps the most important position on the field. That’s because the nose tackle might be the only “big body” the defense has on the field."

Whelp, the Seahawks are boned.

Jville

Reaction score
I've just finished reviewing my recordings of the preseason games and the Hawks were primarily running a 2-4 with an NT and a 3-Tech on the strong side. With the OLBs on the line, it looks more like a 4-2. I don't have access to all 22 so I'm assuming the extra DB is a Safety, but that may change if they decide Witherspoon will take the slot receiver. I guess this will be our base defense this year. An interesting decision to have 6 in the box for our base D, especially for a team that couldn't stop the run last year.

A week or two ago a forum member posted uncertainty as to the distinction between defensive ends and outside linebackers. Hybrid players confuse the distinction for many of us. Offenses tend to dictate personnel. If the most common personnel group on offense is 11 personnel, then defenses are going to reflect that with nickle personnel.

With regards to what's going on up front, the man handler Al Woods is gone. i don't expect to see as much in the way of a defensive lineman aligned head up with the center in a two gap look. Coaches have described an attacking gap and a half technique. Gap discipline is a goal. I'm also especting to see more in the way of an unbalanced line.

There used to be some talk about the run triangle. Consisting of a head up nose tackle and two inside linebackers in the case of a 3-4 defense. And, in the case of a 4-3 defense a run triangle consisted of two defensive tackles and one middle linebacker. As multiple offenses and multiple defenses became the norm, one hears those terms less and less.

It's less clear as to what they are doing in real time on defense for for both opponents and fans ....... by design.

sutz

Reaction score
They've been using that new term "edge" for guys that I guess are kind of a DE/OLB hybrid of some sort.

Maybe they figure having a big, slow guy clogging up the middle isn't so necessary any more. 🤷‍♂️

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
They've been using that new term "edge" for guys that I guess are kind of a DE/OLB hybrid of some sort.

Maybe they figure having a big, slow guy clogging up the middle isn't so necessary any more. 🤷‍♂️
I think they believe disruption is the goal now all fast everywhere. Iotally works at least 75% of the time in video games most the time far more but the risk you have to accept is sometimes you are a horrible match-up and have no answer. It's risky but it's a top tier strategy.

Last edited: