Please trade Bennett and Irvin for Wilkerson

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I am flat out sick of guys not wanting to be here . Let them leave . I know Wilkerson only has one more year on his contract but he is a dominant player and an all pro .
I am sick of Bennett's act . After signing a deal a year ago AFTER he tested the market now he decides he wants more ? Get rid of him .
I use to respect Bruce Irvin ,but he wasn't worth that money on this team . We have to pay other people . Bruce only hurts himself tweeting . Organizations around the league are watching him on the field and now talking idiotic . Why would they pay him big money ? Why would Atlanta give him big money ? I don't see him making more then 4m a year. As of today

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Irvin will ball out this year looking for a big payday. Bennett is a really good, versatile dline men. Once the season starts all this will be forgotten. Would be stupid to trade either one, IMO, unless we got something ridiculous in return.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I am flat out sick of armchair GMs who throw hissy fits over players who have the gall to say anything publicly other than "I love Seattle, and the Seahawks, and hope that I can stay a Seahawk forever. I'd even PAY for the opportunity to play here because it's so awesome! Hometown discount? Seattle's not even my hometown, but you betcha!"

The pettiness here is smothering, sometimes.

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
I'm with ya'. I don't know who the screw put Bennett in charge as the players spokesman but someone needs to tell him to shut his big mouth. He's good but not that good and he just renegotiated his contract last yr. and now he's whining about how he wants a raise? Kiss my cushy tushy ! And now he thinks he's Irvin's agent. screw him!

Basis4day

Reaction score
Good thing Wilkerson isn't looking for a new contract :roll:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":3icc43vh said:
I am flat out sick of guys not wanting to be here . Let them leave . I know Wilkerson only has one more year on his contract but he is a dominant player and an all pro .
I am sick of Bennett's act . After signing a deal a year ago AFTER he tested the market now he decides he wants more ? Get rid of him .
I use to respect Bruce Irvin ,but he wasn't worth that money on this team . We have to pay other people . Bruce only hurts himself tweeting . Organizations around the league are watching him on the field and now talking idiotic . Why would they pay him big money ? Why would Atlanta give him big money ? I don't see him making more then 4m a year. As of today

Good thing the real life NFL isn't Madden.

Bennett and Irvin will both be in the lineup against St. Louis. Both will play well.

OP
OP
E

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1kb8exkv said:
I am flat out sick of armchair GMs who throw hissy fits over players who have the gall to say anything publicly other than "I love Seattle, and the Seahawks, and hope that I can stay a Seahawk forever. I'd even PAY for the opportunity to play here because it's so awesome! Hometown discount? Seattle's not even my hometown, but you betcha!"

So what are your thoughts exactly on a player wanting a new contract less then 11 months after signing it ?
What are your thoughts about a player talking about playing for another team when currently under contract ?
Since you said nothing that related to my post .

I also consider myself a pretty good armchair gm

Rocket

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1u9ca5we said:

People gotta take what they read with a grain of salt... and in some cases a salt mine.
Don't shoot your ducks 'till after they're hatched. Please.

Rocket

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":2ddw6n0t said:
I'm betting that EVERY armchair gm feels that he or she is a pretty good armchair gm.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with Bennett wanting a raise. There's nothing wrong with you wanting a raise either. Whether either of you will get one is a different story, and up to employers to evaluate based on what they think the employees will accept and what they expect them to produce.

The only "problem" here is that we are in the middle of the off-season and so publicly second guessing all of the ongoing negotiations is the only thing a subset of bored fans can think to do with their time. Worry about on-field production and let the FO do their jobs regarding contracts. There is no upside to getting emotionally invested in salary negotiations even if you are the player involved, let alone if you are a third party outsider.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":28z3biia said:
volsunghawk":28z3biia said:

So what are your thoughts exactly on a player wanting a new contract less then 11 months after signing it ?
What are your thoughts about a player talking about playing for another team when currently under contract ?
Since you said nothing that related to my post .

My thoughts on Bennett are that he's about to turn 30, and it's pretty well-documented that Seattle's much, much more fond of younger players. I think he's very concerned about his earning ability and that the end of his career is staring him right in the face. The guy came into the league as a UDFA, and he hasn't earned much, really, compared to other top-level DEs in the league. I think Bennett is worried that he'll be an age casualty after this season, and his age will make it very hard for him to get another solid contract. So that's why he's talking right now. That talk doesn't bother me one bit. Now, if he ends up holding out into the season, then I'll be concerned.

Irvin? I think the team that drafted him just told him that he's not worth the amount of his 5th year option, and that probably goes a long way into making him not feel wanted or part of that "core" that Schneider talks about. So he's got a ring and one year left on his deal, and his team just implied that he's not part of their long-term plans. It doesn't surprise me one bit that he's talking about going to play for his old DC in his hometown. I wish he hadn't said anything, though, because his comments have hurt his leverage as a free agent, and we want him getting the biggest contract he can. It will help our compensatory pick the following year.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Are some of these same irate posters the people that were accusing Lynch of being "MEshawn" last year?

Before you rip Irvin (Bennett might just be shaking the tree too hard, even by my standards), or Marshawn for not "understanding" that the team has a limited budget and they "need to make sacrifices to help the team" please consider what happen with Z Miller.

Miller was a tremendous TE, but has to ALSO make sacrifices for this team. Among them, he was asked to play hurt, which he did. Also, because our protection was so poor, he was asked to perform more of a blocking role and he did that too.

What was his reward for making those sacrifices? His lower production #s were used to justify his need to take a pay cut. WHICH HE DID. Later, the team cut him.

I love the Seahawks but let us be fair. We want the players to be totally loyal to the team but we shrug and say "This is a business" when the team cuts a great player or good player that is hurt, too expensive or just simply replaceable with cheaper talent. Not begrudging the Seahawks on that, you have to do what you need to do - but then you have to be fair and apply that rationale to both sides.

Players shouldn't be castigated for trying to get as much as they can when they can, because the truth is every game could potentially be the end of their career, they risk permanent injury, and most likely lifelong complications. (I know someone that works with former NFL players that are still dealing with medical issues because of their playing career. Many qualify for public assistance...)

Now contrast that to their alternatives. You know Irvin's story, he was homeless when he was found and given an opportunity to play football. You think he doesn't realize the need to earn as much as he can when he can given he likely has to live off that for the rest of his life?

I want to the Seahawks to be competitive too. But I also realize these are human beings that need to live & be happy outside of football years later. Which means they do need the money, especially if there is no other cushion for them.

You get into a bigger issue here about how players can prepare for later, why they need so much now, etc - that goes beyond the scope of this thread but it shouldn't freak people out when players ask for as much as they can get given their quality of life will hinge on some of those differences.

Is Irvin handling this one in a way that helps him? It does not appear so. Does it make him a bad person or selfish because he is upset and feels he earned more? Not really. So the piling on is a little much. He is upset and voiced his displeasure. Take that at face value and stop trying to use that as an indicator of the type of person or teammate he could be.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rocket":3nfbf41u said:
volsunghawk":3nfbf41u said:

People gotta take what they read with a grain of salt... and in some cases a salt mine.
Don't shoot your ducks 'till after they're hatched. Please.
The voice of reason has spoken. 8)

kearly

Reaction score
Pass rushers tend to be around their best from ages 28-32. Bennett is on an affordable deal and has the profile of a player that would age well. Cutting Bennett before his deal is up would probably require injury issues.

I think Bennett is being a little dumb about this. Is he worth more than he's getting? I ask this because he was a UDFA a couple years ago coming off a good season and nobody sent huge money his way. Then he was a UDFA again the next year with back to back good seasons, and still didn't get a ton of money. He had not one but two chances to see what the market bore out and the result was mid-tier money.

Bennett did play more snaps in 2014 than in 2013. But the NFL doesn't pay for overtime. It pays what the market dictates.

Regarding Irvin, he's being an idiot of course but his frustration makes complete sense. You ever have that point where you know you're about to be let go from a job? That's what Irvin is feeling right now. The signing of KJ Wright for big money and then declining Irvin's option sends a fairly clear message.

Additionally, Irvin has made it no secret that he'd much rather be a dedicated pass rusher than a 4-3 OLB. In Seattle, Irvin as a LEO is a ship that long since sailed.

Jville

Reaction score
I think they are simply playing with the media and media parrots. It's like spooking a flock of birds and watching them scatter and take to the skies. Resisting the temptation of triggering such dramatic cause and effects must be difficult.

Most everyone is under contract for 2015 ..... extensions are the exception and not the rule.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If we're are being realistic though.

On Bennett: Bennett is not going to be traded this year. He'll be traded next year if the Seahawks are willing because he'll save $3 mil against the cap. And Frank Clark has a season of experience under his belt.

On Irvin: The Seahawks are just putting a chip on Irvin's shoulder. Not optioning Bruce doesn't mean they dont want him long term. Irvin isn't the smartest tool in the shed but the Seahawks can realistically pay him more than his 7.8m option that they declined in 2016 while costing much less against the cap. But maybe Irvin just wants to play in Atlanta. Maybe that's his dream. Who cares if it is, he's his own person, he can do what he wants.