KJ Wright please...

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I really wish that the Seahawks would bring back KJ Wright for the remainder of the season. He could be like a coach on the field as well as being a proven quality veteran player. Our linebackers, especially #52, #56 and #57 are being overpowered, and outsmarted. In the YouTube highlights you can see both inside linebackers blitz into a screen pass to Kamara for a big gain. They were both tricked on that play and have been "suckered" before. Everyone can see that we have a problem at linebacker.

In the past, KJ has saved our team in circumstances like that, even calling out "screen" as the play develops...Since this year is not expected to be a Super Bowl run, why not bring him back in to help our inside linebackers? I am sure he would love to play and would bet that he is close to being in shape to do it. He could mentor our young players while providing some much needed tackling.

Come on Seahawks management...maybe you were wrong on this one.

Rainger

Reaction score
It makes sense but, I think the staff is committed to a youth movement and the lumps that come with that to build for the future.

They are going to go through the hard times to give experience to their young guys for a brighter future.

Pull the young guys for Irvin and KJ and you could do serious damage to the confidence of the guys you see potential in.

evergreen

Reaction score
Some of these guys are gone next year after we’re done with the $40 in deadcap penalties. Plus all the new draft picks and FAs. This year is also about spending nothing on D except for our safeties….

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I love the idea. I mean, come on. At this stage can any one of us say having KJ out there, even on his last legs, would be any worse than what we are seeing on gameday? He would be a unifying field general out there, especially for this crapfest that is our LB situation.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
While I’m on board with them signing Irvin, I find it interesting that they didn’t actually sign KJ instead. They are both essentially LBs but play different positions. Is this a possible indictment on who is now playing the position that Irvin could potentially play and unseat or mentor? Is that the weakest of the LB positions? I’m more of an offensive guy so sometimes the nuances of the defense escape me. Maybe it’s as simple as KJ saying to the team that he is without a doubt retired.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The youth movement is odd.

Being young isn't enough. You need to be young and good. Not sure we are there yet.

chrispy

Reaction score
KJ retired, officially, and may not want to come back....

Also, if learning from mistakes and "slowing the game down" has any value, it makes some sense to let inexperienced players sink or swim in a "down" year. For x number of players that fail, y number grow and learn and contribute next year. At this point, it's an educated guess who fails and who succeeds...but still an early guess. It's the same as Geno's performance was a risk and a guess.

This cost/benefit has already been decided by the FO. If the Seahawks win a few more games this season by bringing in FAs, the team also loses 1)Cap and 2) playtime for inexperienced players. ...and we're only 5 games into a 17 game season.

The same cost/benefit decision referenced in the Re-sign Geno thread is relevant. 5 games is too small a sample-size to commit to a starting-QB-money contractngor Geno. Why would it be obviously enough to decide oppositely on trashing an inexperienced player? Geno is playing as well as Barton is playing bad.... Withholding judgement both ways makes sense for the time being even if your predictions end up being accurate.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I was honestly waiting for this right after the Bruce announcement, I bet they're talking, KJ fills the BWagz role of salty vet tipping off the young guys, and, KJ will probably be able to step off the couch when he's 55 and kill a screen play.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It's not always possible to get a spurned lover back, especially if you only want a mistress.

toffee

Reaction score
Speed may be an issue, both are ancient, Bruce is actually older. At the point, Bruce may still be a 4.9 kind of guy, but KJ might be a 5.1? ie Irvin is barely serviceable but KJ not as much? Could KJ be a silent lead by example type? Irvin can and will get into under performing youngsters' face, which is another consideration. Although I always felt that KJ has higher football IQ.
KJ Wright Bruce Irvin
AgeJuly 1989Nov 1987
Draft class20112012
40 yards4.754.41
20 yards split2.782.57
10 yards split1.691.55
3 cones7.266.70

ivotuk

Reaction score
KJ did retire. And he does NOT want to come back. 10 years takes a toll on one's body. Especially when you're almost always in the Playoffs.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I love the idea. I mean, come on. At this stage can any one of us say having KJ out there, even on his last legs, would be any worse than what we are seeing on gameday? He would be a unifying field general out there, especially for this crapfest that is our LB situation.
What's missing is leadership. Left with Bwagz.

KJ and/or Bruce? Exactly what the youngsters need. I'm all for it. Been saying we lack leadership since about game 1.25 ;)

I actually thought Kam might be more involved.... but I'll take what leadership they can scrape together at this point!