Please trade Bennett and Irvin for Wilkerson

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2nlymmv8 said:
Also, if Bennett really wanted out of here, he would just give the last two years of his signing bonus back ($4) and renegotiate his deal to be a free agent after this year. Seahawks reap the benefits of a player giving it all in his contract year, save more money over the long term, likely get a 3rd round comp for Bennett's departure, and have a year to develop Frank Clark to take over in 2016.

Bennett risks the chance of injury (which makes this scenario highly improbable) but he would be able to cash in much more significantly (4 years, 35-40m) if he puts together a career year and comes out unscathed.

To add to my own scenario, you could cut McDaniel for 3m and still ask Mebane to restructure down to 4m while guaranteeing his full salary which I think would be a good trade off for 1.5m of freed cap.

You can take that 4.5m. Give 2m to Bennett in performance incentives as incentive to gamble on his contract year.

You can start Rubin at 3T and/or maybe get Kevin Williams for $1.5 - $2.5 m to add depth.

And the Seahawks still could free up more money by maybe adding a year to Graham's contract And converting some of his 2015 salary to signing bonus throughout 4 years.

That should free up space to help re-sign Wilson and Wagner.

With Bennett a free agent in 2016, that would free up the money to re-sign Irvin. Or Okung or Sweezy for that matter depending what the Seahawks think is more valuable to them in the long-term.

crosfam

Reaction score
I say win the SB next year, then trade Bennett for a draft pick and cap space. And of course, Irvin will walk to Atlanta and play for three times his current salary - with thanks for four good years (and some nutty posts). But first take care of business. Extend Wagner, maybe RW this year, and then win the NFC west and the SB.

With that LOB defensive and QB foundation in place, we will get guys to come take their place.

Tical21

Reaction score
JSeahawks":7j7y56bv said:
Irvin will ball out this year looking for a big payday. Bennett is a really good, versatile dline men. Once the season starts all this will be forgotten. Would be stupid to trade either one, IMO, unless we got something ridiculous in return.
Irvin is a 4-3 OLB in a scheme that nobody else uses. He doesn't rush the passer enough to get sacks, and he's not going to put up huge tackle numbers. It is just about impossible for him to do anything that would make him stand out enough to get a huge payday.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":7xgtf0xj said:
I take it nobody here has EVER bitched about how much they are getting paid for the job they are doing.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Most people aren't voicing their complaints publicly via social media, tv, radio, etc.

OP
OP
E

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Rob12":ci3p7nu1 said:
volsunghawk":ci3p7nu1 said:
I am flat out sick of armchair GMs who throw hissy fits over players who have the gall to say anything publicly other than "I love Seattle, and the Seahawks, and hope that I can stay a Seahawk forever. I'd even PAY for the opportunity to play here because it's so awesome! Hometown discount? Seattle's not even my hometown, but you betcha!"

The pettiness here is smothering, sometimes.

I think you're one of .NET's better posters. With all due respect, why come inside threads that you know will be like this? I don't agree with the OP at all, but I give him/her credit for not leaving anything to the imagination with the thread title. I guess I just don't get it. I got tired of the Frank Clark talk, so I quit clicking on the threads that were obviously about Frank Clark.

What is equally smothering are the folks who come in these threads and bring condescension to anyone who lets off some steam here. I get that it gets old. I've even got caught up in it a bit myself. I've been a fan for 26 of my 33 years and I can't remember an offseason that had me more schizophrenic and on edge. It doesn't mean that I or anyone else is less intellectually sound than those who can keep a level head throughout all the noise.

Threads like these are born from passion for the Seahawks, and it's channeled in different ways by vastly different people. Everyone thinks and perceives things differently.

This is a city - and state - that has seen its fair share of superstars bolt from the teams we love. There's a massive investment in not only our teams but the players that comprise them. While your view of not expecting players to always sing the praises of Seattle is logically sound, those that sort of freak out about those things do so out of fear and resignation of a place that we have been before. I can always come back and get myself centered, but it takes discussing things and reading the input of others.

This is a site that survives and thrives on discussion - which can easily be described as MMQB. I've been here a long time and that's kinda what this place does.

----------

I don't spend hardly any time at all on social media. The tweets and postings that I see from players are usually posted here. But to constantly bemoan social media is a fruitless endeavor. It's here to stay, and players are deeply entrenched in it. My grandma also told my dad that television would be the death of social sanity 60 years ago, but here we are. Information is constantly available for us to dissect and discuss, and it's going to conjure up a wide array of thoughts and emotions.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that everyone should cut everyone some slack on all ends. We're all Seahawks fans. I'll continue to avoid threads that I know I will disagree with.

As for this thread, the Seahawks are much better with Bennett + Irvin. - even if they're a bit unhappy.

Thanks man , i agree with everything except I think we would be better with Wilkerson instead of Bennett and Irvin. The guy is just flat out a monster . one who rarely goes offsides :stirthepot:

Rocket

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3d4tjlyl said:
The_Z_Man":3d4tjlyl said:
I take it nobody here has EVER bitched about how much they are getting paid for the job they are doing.
Most people aren't voicing their complaints publicly via social media, tv, radio, etc.
Yes they are. Millions of them are. Some get fired for doing so. Duh.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":3s4wormj said:
JSeahawks":3s4wormj said:
Irvin will ball out this year looking for a big payday. Bennett is a really good, versatile dline men. Once the season starts all this will be forgotten. Would be stupid to trade either one, IMO, unless we got something ridiculous in return.
Irvin is a 4-3 OLB in a scheme that nobody else uses. He doesn't rush the passer enough to get sacks, and he's not going to put up huge tackle numbers. It is just about impossible for him to do anything that would make him stand out enough to get a huge payday.

He did have 6.5 sacks last year while being a low reps player. He can cover very well for a LB, getting two picks (one for a TD).

If he does that again in 2015, he'll get paid for sure. Even if he doesn't, he'll get paid decent money for being a size + speed guy that can play all over a defense.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Rocket":1gwidaqg said:
hawkfan68":1gwidaqg said:
The_Z_Man":1gwidaqg said:
Yes they are. Millions of them are. Some get fired for doing so. Duh.

Then maybe they should stop. Duh.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Rocket":2j3uxeah said:
hawkfan68":2j3uxeah said:
One must let one know first that one is fulla poo... perhaps they don't know.

Yes maybe my comment was untrue. However, we're discussing an athlete who is making millions of dollars. Most people on here may not be in that salary range. If they were, most likely wouldn't identify themselves as such. In the general world, people's salaries are private. They probably should be in the NFL but they are not. Bennett is probably also making money off merchandise sales (jersey with his number), personal appearances, etc. yet he feels underpaid. Seems like he's the one "full of poo" to me.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2yi60cwx said:
Tical21":2yi60cwx said:
JSeahawks":2yi60cwx said:

He did have 6.5 sacks last year while being a low reps player. He can cover very well for a LB, getting two picks (one for a TD).

If he does that again in 2015, he'll get paid for sure. Even if he doesn't, he'll get paid decent money for being a size + speed guy that can play all over a defense.
If Malcom Smith can get a decent deal for his body of work in Seattle, Irvin will get a good haul.

Rocket

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3rkwjd3h said:
Rocket":3rkwjd3h said:
hawkfan68":3rkwjd3h said:
One must let one know first that one is fulla poo... perhaps they don't know.

Yes maybe my comment was untrue. However, we're discussing an athlete who is making millions of dollars. Most people on here may not be in that salary range. If they were, most likely wouldn't identify themselves as such. In the general world, people's salaries are private. They probably should be in the NFL but they are not. Bennett is probably also making money off merchandise sales (jersey with his number), personal appearances, etc. yet he feels underpaid. Seems like he's the one "full of poo" to me.
I had forgotten that we were talking about two players and not just one. While both athletes are making millions, only one is making the big bucks due to more than just physical abilities. Bennett should know better, but it seems he does. Bruce, OTOH, doesn't seem to get the whole social media restraint that Pete just spoke about. Hopefully Pete's not doing the Obfuscation Dance he does so well. He's a helluva dancer.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2fn82jdk said:
kearly":2fn82jdk said:
Tical21":2fn82jdk said:
JSeahawks":2fn82jdk said:

If Malcom Smith can get a decent deal for his body of work in Seattle, Irvin will get a good haul.

On the contrary, Smith signed with the Raiders, who had money to burn in order to reach the spending limit floor. And whose DC is Ken Norton. Norton and Smith have extensive history together dating back to USC.

Again the biggest questions to ask are does Quinn even want Irvin in Atlanta?

And more importantly how many teams in general are going to want to pay an immature 29 year old player with no true position that has a PED violation. Irvin isn't a plug and play player in any scheme. And its hard to gauge how much of his ability is helped by having an all-star supporting cast.

I love me some Bruce Irvin. But I only know him as a Seahawk. I think he has the potential to be a great player in the Seahawks system with the great players surrounding him. But I can't say the same things for other teams.

If Irvin and Seahawks are both smart, they would reach a deal that similar to what Whitney Mercilus got. 4 years, 26 million. 6.5 apy. You could give Irvin a $6 m signing bonus and guarantee $3m of his 2016 contract. He would make $9m guaranteed in 2016. $1.2m more than his $7.8m option but.... he would only cost $4.5m against the cap. And for the posters who are saying Seahawks don't value Irvin in future plans because they didn't pick up the option. No, they didn't pick up his option because they can be much more flexible in how they structure the cap hit. For example, $4.5 m cap hit is a lot better than $7.8 cap hit, with Irvin getting more more for it in his first year.

I also think it would be bad on Irvin's part to ask more or the same for what Wright and Wagner would get. Seahawks made Irvin a 1st round pick on a contract that paid him $9m-$10m. Wagner and Wright both have done more in terms of starting and as leaders for substantially less money.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Rob12":1rvvpa3r said:
volsunghawk":1rvvpa3r said:
I am flat out sick of armchair GMs who throw hissy fits over players who have the gall to say anything publicly other than "I love Seattle, and the Seahawks, and hope that I can stay a Seahawk forever. I'd even PAY for the opportunity to play here because it's so awesome! Hometown discount? Seattle's not even my hometown, but you betcha!"

The pettiness here is smothering, sometimes.

I think you're one of .NET's better posters. With all due respect, why come inside threads that you know will be like this? I don't agree with the OP at all, but I give him/her credit for not leaving anything to the imagination with the thread title. I guess I just don't get it. I got tired of the Frank Clark talk, so I quit clicking on the threads that were obviously about Frank Clark.

What is equally smothering are the folks who come in these threads and bring condescension to anyone who lets off some steam here. I get that it gets old. I've even got caught up in it a bit myself. I've been a fan for 26 of my 33 years and I can't remember an offseason that had me more schizophrenic and on edge. It doesn't mean that I or anyone else is less intellectually sound than those who can keep a level head throughout all the noise.

Threads like these are born from passion for the Seahawks, and it's channeled in different ways by vastly different people. Everyone thinks and perceives things differently.

This is a city - and state - that has seen its fair share of superstars bolt from the teams we love. There's a massive investment in not only our teams but the players that comprise them. While your view of not expecting players to always sing the praises of Seattle is logically sound, those that sort of freak out about those things do so out of fear and resignation of a place that we have been before. I can always come back and get myself centered, but it takes discussing things and reading the input of others.

This is a site that survives and thrives on discussion - which can easily be described as MMQB. I've been here a long time and that's kinda what this place does.

----------

I don't spend hardly any time at all on social media. The tweets and postings that I see from players are usually posted here. But to constantly bemoan social media is a fruitless endeavor. It's here to stay, and players are deeply entrenched in it. My grandma also told my dad that television would be the death of social sanity 60 years ago, but here we are. Information is constantly available for us to dissect and discuss, and it's going to conjure up a wide array of thoughts and emotions.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that everyone should cut everyone some slack on all ends. We're all Seahawks fans. I'll continue to avoid threads that I know I will disagree with.

As for this thread, the Seahawks are much better with Bennett + Irvin. - even if they're a bit unhappy.

Sorry, but that "everyone channels things in a different way" sounds like the "everyone gets a gold star for participation" line of thought. I think that sometimes, bullshit statements need to be called out for what they are.

I should probably avoid threads that I know are going to be rooted in knee-jerk, emotional, reactionary thought, but I can't help opening them. Maybe it's rooted in my own delusion... I like to believe that we as a fanbase have paid so many dues and have wandered in the wilderness for so long, that we have earned some kind of wisdom borne of suffering... that as a result of our long struggles, we might have avoided the irrationality and ridiculousness that plague other, more bandwagony fanbases. And when I see threads like this, I get a harsh reminder that all fanbases are the same, and I lash out... much like the people I am lambasting are lashing out at our players/FO/etc.

So maybe I'm doing the same thing they are, just with a different target. Or maybe I'm just an asshole. Probably both.