You can only sign one... Suh or Thomas??

You can have one player Suh or Thomas. Who would you sign?

• Ndamukong Suh

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Earl Thomas

Votes: 65 69.1%

• Total voters

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":szirj608 said:
Seymour":szirj608 said:
JSeahawks":szirj608 said:
kidhawk":szirj608 said:
Anything we might have gained with a Richardson departure would be immediately nullified with a Suh signing. You don't get picks based on your player losses, it's a formula based on the difference between Free Agent Losses and Signings.

Suh was cut, so I don’t believe he would be a factor in comp picks.

This. No losses with signing Suh, he was released not a FA.

As I told J...the formula isn't public knowledge, all we know for sure is he won't count as a positive for Miami. I haven't seen anything concrete saying he won't count against the teams signing them. It may be so, but until they release the formula (which they aren't going to do) it's hard to be sure either way)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thephi ... tory-picks

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballt ... picks/amp/

It is common knowledge and the awarding of comp picks for multiple years confirms it

bigskydoc

Reaction score
A released player that is signed isn't counted against the signing team's comp picks.

We saw this with New England last year when they traded Garoppolo to the Niners, and didn't take Hoyer as part of the trade, as they had originally planned to do. They waited until he was released, and cleared waivers, before signing him. This protected one of their 4th round comp pick for losing Sheard to the Colts and Bennett to the Packers.

As an aside, they lost the 4th round comp pick for Bennett when GB cut him before the week 10 deadline.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
How about this

Suh @ $14M APY +2nd rd (2018) for Earl Trade +3rd rd (2019 comp) for letting Richardson walk.

or

Earl at $14M APY + Richardson @$14m APY

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RCATES":3f35omih said:
ET has not been the same the last 3 years. He's not flying around making plays like he used too. He's still a great player but just not the disruptive force he once was. Suh would make a immediate impact and be a disruptive force in the middle. Something Richardson just never seemed to get going. I'd take Suh
Umm, let's see....Bennett= Gone....Richardson an incomplete showing last season....Quarterbacks under almost NO pressure, taking their sweet ass time deciding on who they want to throw the ball to?......I believe that Suh would force Quarterbacks off their rhythm, & into making their passes much quicker than they want to.
If I can only keep one, it would have to be Suh.
Besides, I believe that Thomas wants to get away from the Seahawks, and might be trying to price himself out of Seattle.

kidhawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3eojqyuh said:
A released player that is signed isn't counted against the signing team's comp picks.

We saw this with New England last year when they traded Garoppolo to the Niners, and didn't take Hoyer as part of the trade, as they had originally planned to do. They waited until he was released, and cleared waivers, before signing him. This protected one of their 4th round comp pick for losing Sheard to the Colts and Bennett to the Packers.

As an aside, they lost the 4th round comp pick for Bennett when GB cut him before the week 10 deadline.

I understand the point being made and it may be correct, but The Patriots waiting for Hoyer to be cut instead of being part of the trade doesn't have anything to do with comp picks. Comp picks aren't designed for traded players, only higher value UFA. What this move did for them was allow his contract with the Niners to become null and void, thus allowing them to sign him to a contract on their terms. The full value for the 3 years averages less than $1.5 million per season and wouldn't either hurt or gain anyone comp picks at that rate.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
kidhawk":29whd8hi said:
I understand the point being made and it may be correct, but The Patriots waiting for Hoyer to be cut instead of being part of the trade doesn't have anything to do with comp picks. Comp picks aren't designed for traded players, only higher value UFA. What this move did for them was allow his contract with the Niners to become null and void, thus allowing them to sign him to a contract on their terms. The full value for the 3 years averages less than $1.5 million per season and wouldn't either hurt or gain anyone comp picks at that rate.

These guys would argue otherwise

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/925172612677988353[/tweet]

The 49ers are not in line for a comp pick given all the free agents they signed. However, if Hoyer had been dealt to the Patriots, his value on the comp pick chart would have transferred to them.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/10/31 ... ck-formula

The way I understand it, Hoyer being signed to a contract with the Niners carried a negative one comp pick. It didn't matter to the Niners because they had no comp picks coming their way. If he was traded to the Pats, the negative one comp pick would have transferred to them, and since they had picks to lose, they would have lost one of their fourth rounders.

I think this is pretty esoteric stuff, which is why no one in the Pats org caught it until the ninth hour.

kidhawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1lrdbamw said:
kidhawk":1lrdbamw said:

These guys would argue otherwise

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/925172612677988353[/tweet]

The 49ers are not in line for a comp pick given all the free agents they signed. However, if Hoyer had been dealt to the Patriots, his value on the comp pick chart would have transferred to them.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/10/31 ... ck-formula

The way I understand it, Hoyer being signed to a contract with the Niners carried a negative one comp pick. It didn't matter to the Niners because they had no comp picks coming their way. If he was traded to the Pats, the negative one comp pick would have transferred to them, and since they had picks to lose, they would have lost one of their fourth rounders.

I think this is pretty esoteric stuff, which is why no one in the Pats org caught it until the ninth hour.

That sounds like Hoyer's contract had a negative comp pick attached to it and trading it would have carried that to the patriots. Which is far different than signing of a cut player. His Patriots contract is too low to really matter one way or another as far as comp picks go.

Either way though, it really doesn't matter, because I think putting the amount of money into Suh that we'd need to put into him is not going to make us that much better. We're better off re-signing Thomas where his ability and range can help out our DB's especially now that we've lost a few of them. We can fill the middle a lot easier than replacing Thomas and our Dline is solid enough.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Point being, if a player is cut, he doesn't carry comp pick consequences anymore.

If you still don't believe me, then look at this chart from Over The Cap, listing all the current predicted comp picks

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-dra ... ion-chart/

Sherman at 9 million APY should be listed as a 4th round negative comp for the Niners if cutting doesn't eliminate the comp pick consequences. (Graham at 10 APY is 4th round negative for the Packers, and Albert Wilson at 8 mill APY is negative comp for Miami). Sherman isn't listed.

kidhawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2sndj5is said:
Point being, if a player is cut, he doesn't carry comp pick consequences anymore.

If you still don't believe me, then look at this chart from Over The Cap, listing all the current predicted comp picks

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-dra ... ion-chart/

Sherman at 9 million APY should be listed as a 4th round negative comp for the Niners if cutting doesn't eliminate the comp pick consequences. (Graham at 10 APY is 4th round negative for the Packers, and Albert Wilson at 8 mill APY is negative comp for Miami). Sherman isn't listed.

You do realize that I never said I don't you guys. All I said was without them releasing the data it's impossible to be 100% sure about every little detail. Everything that is posted out there is 100% speculation based on what comp picks have been given out in the past.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I had a hard time picking earl after seeing that photo with Garrett. Still think we just give him his wish and trade him.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3o72r1jj said:
I had a hard time picking earl after seeing that photo with Garrett. Still think we just give him his wish and trade him.

Interesting that more are siding with Earl to me. I picked the worst moments in each players history to use to gauge the pulse of the fan base as to which pisses them off more. Both were acts of selfishness, but to me, being a dick to the opponent is more forgivable.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
love Earl, tho this last episode with the cowboys wasn't a highlight moment for me but I'm going Suh. Eagles showed this year, a dominant front makes up for a weaker secondary. We need pressure up front and a decent secondary, any secondary with little pressure gets picked apart, we saw that in action far too often.

12forlife

Reaction score
Wenhawk":39pfuxrr said:
How about this

Suh @ $14M APY +2nd rd (2018) for Earl Trade +3rd rd (2019 comp) for letting Richardson walk.

or

Earl at $14M APY + Richardson @$14m APY

This is how the Tread should have been stated in the first place. Earl is under contract.

With that said I like Suh @ $14M APY +2nd rd (2018) for Earl Trade +3rd rd (2019 comp) for letting Richardson walk.

Simply gives us a dynamic Dline right now, with less of a cap hit, and gives us more early draft capital moving forward.

or maybe Sign Sue @ 14 mil, trade ET to Pitt for M Bryant + 4th or 5th (2018), let SR walk for 3rd comp pick (2019)

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
Time to get young on defense and try to catch lighting in a bottle again. Bring on the guys with chips on their shoulders and something to prove. Bring on guys changing teams for a fresh start .

Love me some ET III but I'm picking Suh .

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sterlinghawk":14lmndjc said:
Time to get young on defense and try to catch lighting in a bottle again. Bring on the guys with chips on their shoulders and something to prove. Bring on guys changing teams for a fresh start .

Love me some ET III but I'm picking Suh .

How is signing a guy who is 2 years older than Earl Thomas getting young on defense?

AVL

Reaction score
Suh, so Wilson will have a red jersey on when facing him. Earl is acting too iffy.

Latest posts