The defense problem you choose.

What is the overall problem with the Defense?

• Total voters

Rainger

Reaction score
I am perplexed with this one. Which is why I didn't offer an easy answer of BOTH. The answer is probably both, so please don't pontificate about both, but if you had to choose between the personnel and the defensive scheme and play calls i.e. to much zone not enough blitzing, or the players they keep using at certain positions what would you learned Hawk fans choose. Make an argument, for what is the biggest problem we all know it is both.

I am leaning to the scheme. Just seems like the team is always in the wrong play call or the opposition QB sees it easy and throws for a huge chunk into a open zone. I think they use to much zone very little blitzing, and are not understanding the plays called by the opposing OC.

Your chance to weigh in.

Come on Pitt and Fade I know you can write an entire book here! :)

Fade

Reaction score
I will keep it brief. As I could write a book on this.

Think about the talent on defense and ask yourself, does this collection of players equate to 30th in the league? Which is what they currently rank after 2 games.

Hypothetically, even if you want to put it on the players, who is responsible for the construction of the defense post LOB?

The Seahawks have massive investment on defense over the last 6+ years. From draft picks, to Free Agents, to trades.

They should be top half of the league at the very least, top 5 if you hold them accountable for their investment on defense.

Last year, comparing the top 8 defenses in the league, Seattle would've ranked 2nd in investment, though they ranked 27th in results.

I will analyze it again, but later in the year. Just know, they added Dre Jones, Bobby Wagner, a top 5 pick, and a high 2nd round pick. They will likely be #1 or still #2 again, and now they rank 30th in results. They continue to get worse, no matter the investment.

Schematically, where they are going wrong is--they've built a multiple front defense designed to bring pressure from everywhere. Play the corners up, smother teams, confuse the opponent, blitz from any and everwhere.

Instead, what we see out of these fronts over and over is a vanilla 4 rush, no stunts, or twists, and telegraphed shell coverage. It makes no sense.

Last week in the 2nd half, when they finally started stacking the LoS and showed pressure, and brought pressure--they had some success, 2 sacks + a pick 6. Built a 10 point lead going into the 4th. They squandered it with soft zone.
Luckily Geno bailed 'em out and got the win, or the defense would be getting lit up like a Xmas tree right now.

My final question: Would Clint Hurtt be a DC anywhere else in the league if not on the Seahawks? The previous stooge had to go back to being a LBers coach in college. Not a DC.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
They need to find a Waldron for the defense. He's not always running the show, but when it's required (say, when the 2 starting tackles are out) he comes up with some great game plans to help keep teams off balance. Instead the defense gets a Pete retread and always plays the same conservative defense hoping the opposing team will make mistakes.

Scout

Reaction score
Coaching has to be better on defense.

For the modern NFL a team having an average defense is more than enough to win it all.

seabowl

Reaction score
The Jamal Adams injury was crushing to Petes defense. He was the absolute catalyst to making it work. Without him there his D just does not work. The problem I have with Pete is it seem like there was no Plan B. He rolled the dice on one player and lost.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Definitely a coaching issue more than anything. I don't believe it's a talent issue on the defense, but more of a trust issue but probably more of a coaching issues. I feel like the players either don't believe the guy behind them will be there, or want to make the play themselves.

In coverage I've seen many times a defender carrie the zone to far creating gaping holes. Certain DB's are consistently in the way of other defenders. This d needs to learn to trust that the next guy is going to do their job, and that's on the coaches to make sure it happens.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I know the OP is seeking the answer as to whether it’s a talent or coaching issue but the NFL just isn’t as black and white as these options make it out to be.

You have to account for talent, coaching, youth/experience, injuries, heart and a multitude of other intangibles.

cymatica

Reaction score
The Jamal Adams injury was crushing to Petes defense. He was the absolute catalyst to making it work. Without him there his D just does not work. The problem I have with Pete is it seem like there was no Plan B. He rolled the dice on one player and lost.

I don't buy that at all. If missing a safety neuters your defense, then something is wrong with your defense. The defense was bad with Adams and Pete admitted they were still trying to figure out how to use him at the time. I doubt they would be much better if he never got injured, they would run the same scheme while trying to blitz Adams once in a while and teams would just key in on him.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Eta*I picked scheme issues. Coaches have to be accountable. I get the FO built a World Champ vefore, but the rules on defense changed because of them (haha). Just seems like the coaching hasn't adjusted fully to those changes. If (in their minds) they have, then they need to do better, straight up.

Otherwise, I say use a blaise defense, if you get the stop cool.

Then I would absolutely field a monster offense that scored at will. Who cares about defense when the team is scoring 70+ points a game. Just roster a stupid amount of offense stars and steamroll teams. It plays perfectly into how the nfl caters the rules to obe side of the field anyway. Why not.

BASF

Reaction score
Fade's post is almost word for word what I would post except that of course he thinks it's Pete's hiring yes men. He allowed Norton Jr. and Hurtt to make changes to his defense to the point where it only had Pete's influence. He wants his coordinators to earn their promotions to become head coaches later in their careers. Much to our detriment. Both hires were not good hires. Pete's faith in them was misplaced and I hope that we let go of Hurtt faster than we did with Norton.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I chose coaching but I think it's a combination of both. The lack of talent on DL (specifically at the interior DL) is a major problem. They spent a lot of capital on edge players didn't do anything for the interior of the line. So there's a talent issue there along with a coaching issue which hasn't really adjusted to lack of talent or developed anyone in those positions. They relied on vets like Al Woods. There is no one on the current team that is comparable to Woods level of production in the middle of DL.

Chawker

Reaction score
In time Hurtt will start to bring the pressure, watch for it on 3rd and long situations. We need to be patient, for those who not exspecting it when needed.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Had I owned team, I would have paid Al Woods the $2,250,000 to stay here another year.
Woods was the only good defensive lineman they had last year, so why not build around him this season?
  • That isn't much in NFL money.
  • Jarran Reed would be playing defensive end.
  • Al Woods would be my starting nose tackle.
  • Cam Young would be my number two nose tackle.
This coaching staff is playing too many players out of their natural positions.
Mainly because they cannot acquire the 3-4 linemen they need for this scheme.

We see this in the defensive secondary as well.
  • Let's take our CB (fifth pick over all) and make him a nickle corner back. He has zero experience at it.
  • Let's take our nickel corner back and make him a safety. Again no experience at it.
  • Matt Stafford loved this formula, I however did not.

I chose "players" because they just don't have the physical tools for this defensive front 7 scheme.
Expect that to get worse as we head into the rain and snow season.
Give me at least a 3 man rush, with a forth man containing the quarterback from long runs... Please!

On the brighter side of things, I'm really glad to see CB Tre Brown back again. I think he has real talent.

hawks85

Reaction score
I am perplexed with this one. Which is why I didn't offer an easy answer of BOTH. The answer is probably both, so please don't pontificate about both, but if you had to choose between the personnel and the defensive scheme and play calls i.e. to much zone not enough blitzing, or the players they keep using at certain positions what would you learned Hawk fans choose. Make an argument, for what is the biggest problem we all know it is both.

I am leaning to the scheme. Just seems like the team is always in the wrong play call or the opposition QB sees it easy and throws for a huge chunk into a open zone. I think they use to much zone very little blitzing, and are not understanding the plays called by the opposing OC.

Your chance to weigh in.

Come on Pitt and Fade I know you can write an entire book here! :)
At this point I'm tired of analyzing the D. A win is a win. I don't care how they do it, as long as it's a W.

knownone

Reaction score
Eh, I thought the defense played fine. There were a few drives extended by questionable penalties, and Dalton is a gamer. The run defense looks legit, which is a significant upgrade over last season.

Polk738

Reaction score
They did hold the Panthers to 44 rushing yards this game, a complete turn around from the game last season-with that being said it pretty much forced Dalton to throw almost 60 times, obviously they are having breakdowns in coverage probably due to the constant fill ins for the secondary, the defense isn't great right now but they are trending in the right direction.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Had I owned team, I would have paid Al Woods the $2,250,000 to stay here another year.
Woods was the only good defensive lineman they had last year, so why not build around him this season?
  • That isn't much in NFL money.
  • Jarran Reed would be playing defensive end.
  • Al Woods would be my starting nose tackle.
  • Cam Young would be my number two nose tackle.
This coaching staff is playing too many players out of their natural positions.
Mainly because they cannot acquire the 3-4 linemen they need for this scheme.

We see this in the defensive secondary as well.
  • Let's take our CB (fifth pick over all) and make him a nickle corner back. He has zero experience at it.
  • Let's take our nickel corner back and make him a safety. Again no experience at it.
  • Matt Stafford loved this formula, I however did not.

I chose "players" because they just don't have the physical tools for this defensive front 7 scheme.
Expect that to get worse as we head into the rain and snow season.
Give me at least a 3 man rush, with a forth man containing the quarterback from long runs... Please!

On the brighter side of things, I'm really glad to see CB Tre Brown back again. I think he has real talent.
Woods was a cap casualty, plus he wanted to play in a different style defense where he could be more of an attacking player and not just have to take on double teams as the nose.