Why are we fretting over the Saints game?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Why are we fretting the Saints game? Because it's the next game we play.

jdblack

Reaction score
Shock2k":1tpgmavr said:
Why are we worried about the Saints anyways?
I think we’ve built up the Saints to big in our minds. Sure they are 9 and 2, but their toughest games are ahead of them right now. Even a surging Tampa Bay at the end of the season isn’t going to be a gimmie game...

So you think a 9-2 team should feel threatened by a 3-8 team, but a 10-1 team should not feel threatened by a 9-2 team? :lol:

HawkWow

Reaction score
253hawk":3fc4sosh said:
MidwestHawker":3fc4sosh said:
Ditka is the only ESPN talking head picking the Saints so far.

Ditka always homers out for the Bears and the Saints. Always.

Exactly. Ditka remains Papa Bear and is still apologizing to NO for the set back he gave them known as Ricky Williams. Throw in the fact senility is setting in on him, I'll give Papa Bear a break.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure win/loss records will have anything to do with this game monday nite. The preparation and execution of these teams will. The Saints know this is a BIG game and their mental approach will be at its peak. They will have the game plan down, they have to! Playing the Hawks alone is tough, in our house, outside in the cold/rain and the 12th man, really tough. This Hawk team is like no other, we've seen them start out slow and come back time and time again, it is a incredible ride and I find it hard to even think that their isn't a player on the team that won't be ready to counter what ever the Saints come with. The winning percentage after the BYE week is 54% and going up. The 12th man will be as influential in this game as any player on the field! GO HAWKS

5280Hawk

Reaction score
His steakhouse Ditka's is in Chicago - Thats why he picks the Bears,

Is there one in New Orleans? I dont know.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":4ioq6ojl said:
I am not so worried about the Saints so much as I am worried about the very minor chance that Seattle goes 0-2 in the next two weeks. If that happens, Seattle would only be a game up on the division with SF possibly owning the tiebreaker.

Seattle wins either of those games, and division is salted away all but statistically. If we lose to the Saints but beat SF, we will almost assuredly get a bye week, and still have a pretty good shot at the #1 seed.

Yea I'm in agreement here. If we win the Saints game, we can all take a big deep breath. If not, we're holding that breath against SF.

The other big issue I'm having is that both the Rams and the Cardinals are surging right now. The rest of the division will still probably all beat up on eachother, but it only takes one of these teams to win out and us to stumble to start an issue. Before this last weekend, I felt the Cards and Rams were an afterthought; sure they could be good in a game here and there, but they hadn't put anything consistent together. Well, we barely beat the Rams, and the Cards just destroyed Indy, who handed us our only loss.

Winning this Monday night game proves two things: we can beat the 2nd best team in the NFC, and we're the hands down front runner for HFA throughout the playoffs.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Few teams get up for these primetime games like we do. N.O. shares similar success in such games and I think even that plays to our advantage. With so much on the line for them, and knowing the impact of HFA in such games, has to be creating some doubt in them. I listened very carefully to Brees and watched his body language after their Atl win. The consummate professional, Brees wasn't going to give the Hawks any bulletin board stuff, but he wasn't exactly exuding confidence either.

Yes the Saints are deadly with Graham, Thomas and Sproles (etc) but those guys are not going to do much to stop Wilson, Lynch, Tate and Harvin (etc). Conversely, IIRC, the Saints have about 3 x more passing TDs than rushing TDs. A great offense, but not exactly balanced, and as I stated earlier, their offensive strengths play to our defensive strengths. Payton is a damn good coach. I expect him to come out mixing it up more than usual..and why not? IF he can find success running the ball against us, and some have, he'd be wise to go that route knowing Quinn will have our pass rushers knocking the sh*t out of Brees at every opportunity. Especially with audibles practically impossible thanks to the 12 in attendance.

The strategy above even more important now that we have Harvin. They will want to keep our O off the field as badly as we want to keep their O off the field. Brees is most effective setting up the long ball with his patented short dump offs, screens etc. I think our main focus should be limiting those, confident we are better equipped than most to stop his long ball.

Lots of people paying attention to our Hawks now, but bettors have known about Brees and his vaunted passing attack for quite some time. Going against arguably the best passer in the sport, and down 2 premier corners, we remain close to a TD favorite (MGM). Very telling. Thinks me.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Wartooth":hgcnxog3 said:
I'm not worried about the Saints...
The Hawks with Russell take care of business.
This new found faith I have is sometimes even uncomfortable for me, being a long time fan.
But I'm embracing it!
I think this is the year!
Can't wait for the game...Go Hawks!

Gotta love the Haiku form. Im very confident Seattle takes this game for ALL the reasons listed above but for me I keep thinking of one.

BEAST MOE

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Any Given Sunday (monday in this case) has been applicable for reason. Go Hawks!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
We fret over all games because they are all traps from sinister enemies that want to catch us off guard. Don't kill my paranoia buzz, darnit! ;)

HawkWow

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2bytfr06 said:
Because they're a very, very good team?

No question, but it would take a herculean effort of biblical proportions for this very good Saints team to upset this great Seattle team at home in primetime.

Makes for good discussion though. And if I am wrong in predicting a 2 TD win for us, I will dine on crow (I currently have no plans of feasting on a feral bird, but stranger things have happened....but not recently, not to us in front of the 12, anyway).

We have seen some flashes of brilliance from our D front. Now, knowing they will be counted on more than ever, I expect that brilliance to come much more consistently Monday night.

Before taking the field, if I'm Pete, my pregame speech would be "OK guys, no speech tonight, instead I pose to you 2 simple questions: WHO WANTS TO GO TO THE SUPERBOWL and DO YOU WANT TO GO ON THE ROAD TO GET THERE"?

Then I would slap my hand with the my playsheet, in dramatic fashion, and yell "LETS GO KICK SOME ASS"! It always works in the movies. Worth a shot.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
No "fretting" as in a worried feeling actually affecting my behavior or emotions. But I'm prone to goosebumps just thinking of a Seahawks home game on MNF, regardless of opponent.

Could we lose the game? Any week. That's what makes the wins so awesome.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I'm with you OP! This'll be a bloodbath. Finesse dome team from the south comes to our cold, wet, dark and LOUD stadium... that can't end well for them.

For all that we all seem to be bunged up, "fretting" over how to deal with big scary Jimmy Graham, Saints are like that x3 fretting on how to handle Marshawn Lynch. They're TURRBL at defending the run, giving up almost 5 YPC. We have one of the best and definitely THE most physical run game there is. We are going to beat the living piss out of them on the ground. Drew and Jimmy aren't even going to be a factor in this one because Drew and Jimmy are going to spend the majority of the game on the bench, watching Beastmode tear their D a new arsehole... And I hope hope HOPE they decide the only answer is to stack the box. Then we unleash Harvin and Tate.

No disrepect for them, they've got a good little team, but there's just no way this ends well for New Orleans. They haven't played anyone that can do what we do on offense, who also has a defense that can match head on anything their much ballyhooed offense can do. It's going to be a massacre. I can't wait...

strohmin

Reaction score
Yep, We said the same thing about Bucs, Rams, Tennessee and Colts.

CANHawk

Reaction score
strohmin":33uw0qeg said:
Yep, We said the same thing about Bucs, Rams, Tennessee and Colts.

Yeah but those are crap teams. They always play down to crap teams. Playing a good team in prime time? They're going to be foaming at the mouth...

CANHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2jv0l80c said:
Atradees":2jv0l80c said:
Jerome Bettis is picking the Saints. :177692:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10042080
I wish he'd get hit by a bus.

That'd be terrible... nfl network would go into 24 hour vigil mode, making various forms of "a football life" about him and such. it'd be all Bettis all the time. Puke.

No, I hope he gets caught with a a big pile of coke and a thai lady boy...

Latest posts