Why are we fretting over the Saints game?

Shock2k

Reaction score
Why are we worried about the Saints anyways?
I think we’ve built up the Saints to big in our minds. Sure they are 9 and 2, but their toughest games are ahead of them right now. Even a surging Tampa Bay at the end of the season isn’t going to be a gimmie game. You know Tampa would love to send the Saints off to the playoffs with a spoiler.

Let’s look at the last 4 games the Saints have played.

Saints 20 at Jets 26
Against whom did they get busted up against, well none other than the powerhouse duo of Geno Smith and… wait who the jets is running back… oh ya, wait Chris Ivory! I thought they ran that Bilal Powell guy! Well Chris Ivory put up 139 Yards rushing with a TD. Yes Chris Ivory ran for 7.7 yards a carry… Chris Ivory… Suspect I tell ya. Ok Ivory was averaging 4.6 yards per carry until he got injured, but come on; you know Marshawn is licking his skittles right now.

Ok Brees threw for 348 yards, 118 of which went to Jimmy Graham + 2 touchdowns. But against the 23rd ranked defense against the pass, makes sense.

Cowboys 17 at Saints 49
Oh man, this is it, this is why we should be scared right? Wow they really destroyed the Cowboys. Well wait, it was at home and they just play really well at home. And wait a minute; the Cowboys are ranked 31st against the pass, and 30th against the rush. God why does Tony Romo keep getting blamed for the Cowboys woes. If I were him I would spit in my defenses Wheaties.
So what we can take form this is one of the most efficient offenses in the league put up big numbers vs one of the worst defenses in the league.

49ERS 20 at Saints 23

Hahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha… Oh ok, I’m good. Man sorry I just can’t help laughing every time the 49ers loose, the 5 year old comes out in me pointing my finger saying nya, nya, nya, nya, nya… But I digress.
This was another game where the opposing QB throws for nothing but manages 2 touchdowns, against 3 turnovers by the Saints (2 Fumble Recoveries and 1 Interception). This game was at home for the saints against a team with almost no offense.

The point being, against a decent defense the saints are not as good, even at home. Though this was a STRANGE game, and it’s really hard to deduce a lot from it. My take is there were so many mistakes because Breese was never allowed to get comfortable in the pocket, and Jimmy Graham was allowed a catch longer than 15 yards (which if you look at all their games there is statistical significance).
Also San Francisco limited the Saints to 3 field goals of 5 scores. So though Breese through for 305 yards, it was more bend not break.

Saints 17 at Atlanta 13
Do I really need to go on a diatribe about Atlanta, and how the vaunted Saints offense could only put up 17 points? Atlanta is a team the Seahawks beat a week before 33 to 10? The Hawks basically handed New Orleans the road map for playing the game.

What point am I trying to make?
Their last 4 starts aren’t really blowing my socks off. And there is an obvious defensive road map for slowing Brees down.

Other things I find interesting.
- Drew Breese QBR is 119 in the first half of games and 90 in the second half of games. At the beginning of the season the Seahawks had some truly awful starts to games. Though I don’t think that has carried into the second half of the season, this isn’t the time to have a bad start. Think a ground and pound, pass dink and dunk, time draining first half, then an explosive second half. It’s possible the Saints will have a lead going into the second half, don’t panic.
- Don’t think Drew Breeze can’t play in cold weather; he actually has a decent QBR in the limited games he’s played in the cold, which Includes a 149 QBR effort in Cleveland.

- Surprisingly this doesn’t translate to road games without wind and without cold, in which his QBR is much lower… Strange. So I guess we should hope for a game that’s above 40 degrees with no wind.

- Jabari Greer, the Saints best cornerback is out for the Season with a torn ACL. Ya the have weapons, but I give you Tate, Kearse, Harvin, Baldwin

- Beyond Greer Cornerbacks Chris Car and Rod Sweeting are both injured and questionable. So we are not the only team with cornerback woes.

Anyways, the Saints are a very good team, but the Seahawks are a better team playing with the 12 man at home.
I’m pretty confident in the Seahawks closing this deal.

As for the Saints, after playing St. Louis, Carolina twice, and Tampa, I have a feeling we will be sliding into home plate up a couple of runs by the end of the season.

Cartire

Reaction score
Let's not get over-zealous now. We has a patch of games at home to that we weren't stellar in.

I like the optimism, but if your not taking the game seriously, your the only one.

daketah

Reaction score
Is this a rhetorical question?

We are Seahawks fans. Being concerned, even feeling like they will lose is a defense mechanism. If we keep our hopes and expectations tempered, the fall into despair isn't as far.

Axx

Reaction score
the same people who were worried about the niners in week 2 are back.

After all Wison and Carroll have proven there are still doubters in the 12th gram fanbase.

formido

Reaction score
Who's building the Saints up to be bigger than they are? A very good case can be made that they're the second best team in the NFL. But Seattle is pretty clearly the best and has a bunch of extra advantages in this game. You definitely can't take the game lightly but Seattle wins this game more than 60% of the time.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Drew Brees, Jimmy Graham, Darren Sproles. Those are the 3 big reasons to be concerned with the Saints.

I'm most worried about Sproles and how we are going to cover him. He is a guy our D could struggle with.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'm not even a little worried. Seriously. 31-17. And probably not as close as the score.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I definitely appreciate the anti-worry thread. Plus I couldn't help but crack up at some of your comments.

I think a lot of people are scared because of the Dallas game since it was national TV. But we have to realize that Dallas has practically no D and previous the defensive coordinator of Dallas was on the other team giving tips on how to beat them.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Basically, because this is a loss we may not be able to afford, and obviously there's some reasonable non-zero chance that we lose. Hard not to get a bit tense about a crucial game that is basically must-win for purposes of getting the 1 seed.

But we do win this matchup most of the time.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm shakin' my damn head. I think we've got a very good chance to win, but come on. A good (not great) Saints defense, and Drew Brees? They definitely have the ability to beat us. As far as their last four start not really blowing your socks off; I guess you were impressed at halftime of our Tampa Bay @ Seattle game, eh?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
They have a good pass rush and a good running attack. With Brees, they have a chance if they are able to establish said running attack and it is close in the 4th quarter.

That said, we have a better defense and we're at home on Monday night with a crazed 12th man, we have Lynch, Harvin, and Russell Wilson. Bottom line, Seattle will have to lay an egg to lose this game and I just don't see that happening. Prime time, at home, for first place, nope. I think we win by 9 to 14 points.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I get the sentiment of the original post but it's going to be a tough game, that is a good team.

That being said I'm not liking this vibe I'm getting from the media (not that i overly care - just annoying is all) that we are somehow the underdog here.

We have been competitive in every single game we've played since the game against the bengals three seasons ago. Every game. Every game we played has been winnable in the 4th quarter. In that span we've never lost a game by any more than 1 TD, and the losses are few and far between in that span.

We will be in this game at the end, the 12th man will be unleashing two weeks of pent up anticipation onto the field, the team will be hungry to get out there and bury this suspension garbage in the past. it won't be easy but I have a good feeling this time next week we will be 11-1 and talking about liking our chances @SF the following sunday and all but locking up HFA throughout the playoffs.

Wartooth

Reaction score
I'm not worried about the Saints...
The Hawks with Russell take care of business.
This new found faith I have is sometimes even uncomfortable for me, being a long time fan.
But I'm embracing it!
I think this is the year!
Can't wait for the game...Go Hawks!

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Hawknballs":ens4mghl said:
That being said I'm not liking this vibe I'm getting from the media (not that i overly care - just annoying is all) that we are somehow the underdog here.

:?

8rPeaVn

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawknballs":301lxa8l said:
We will be in this game at the end, the 12th man will be unleashing two weeks of pent up anticipation onto the field, the team will be hungry to get out there and bury this suspension garbage in the past. it won't be easy but I have a good feeling this time next week we will be 11-1 and talking about liking our chances @SF the following sunday and all but locking up HFA throughout the playoffs.

Yep...I agree....a Monday Night "high" will get us through this game. However, I'm very concerned about playing the Niners the following Sunday.

Cartire

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":izrzcbcf said:
Hawknballs":izrzcbcf said:

:?

8rPeaVn

Yea, I don't sense much of the underdog approach either. Jerome Bettis is the only guy I have seen picking the Saints. And well, (shack) that guy.

kearly

Reaction score
I am not so worried about the Saints so much as I am worried about the very minor chance that Seattle goes 0-2 in the next two weeks. If that happens, Seattle would only be a game up on the division with SF possibly owning the tiebreaker.

Seattle wins either of those games, and division is salted away all but statistically. If we lose to the Saints but beat SF, we will almost assuredly get a bye week, and still have a pretty good shot at the #1 seed.

Latest posts