NFL’s top 10 offensive coordinators (PFF)

ivotuk

Reaction score

Ranking the NFL’s top 10 offensive coordinators entering 2023​

4. SHANE WALDRON, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

When Shane Waldron was initially hired, the focus was on how he was going to help unlock the best play from Russell Wilson.

As it turns out, he was to preside over a breakout season from Geno Smith instead. It’s very difficult to parse where the credit for that unexpected season belongs, or even how real it was, but transforming a journeyman quarterback into a top-10 starter is a seriously impressive thing to put on a resume. Waldron’s offense last season ranked 13th in expected points added per play and 12th in successful play percentage.

Also of Interest:

10. BRIAN SCHOTTENHEIMER, DALLAS COWBOYS

This will be Brian Schottenhemer’s fifth stint as an offensive coordinator between the NFL and college football — and his first since he was let go by the Seattle Seahawks. With Kellen Moore departed from Dallas, the Cowboys and Mike McCarthy clearly have defined ideas about where they want this offense to go, and Schottenheimer has always leaned toward the run game (in part, seemingly in search of the magic number 53).

bileever

Reaction score
This list is a bit misleading because the three top offensive coordinators are head coaches, Reid, Shanahan and McVay. And maybe LaFleur as well. Which would push Waldron down to 7th or 8th on the list.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
They actually mention that, saying that Kyle and Andy are 2 of the best, but they are sticking strictly to OCs.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Love Schottenheimer. Happy as hell that he's got a chance in Dallas, reunited with Solari's erotic power line play and hosses like Tyler Smith. He deserves another shot, both do.

That said, I'm happy to keep the gravy train rolling with Waldron. He gets cute as hell at times, but overall, not much to complain about. We got a good thing going!

sutz

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to some more creativity on offense this year. I hate to refer back to what's his name, but now that we have a QB that actually works within the system and tries to execute the plays actually called I think we can go far. The personnel upgrades will help as well.

As for Waldron "getting too cute" from time to tiime, I give him a bit of a pass as a young guy on his first gig. I think he learns from his mistakes, or at least I hope so. In his 3rd year in the system and 2d year with a more cooperative QB I see great things in our future from the offense in general.

Fade

Reaction score
Shane Waldron is the most underrated coach in the league. Great to see PFF giving him his props. I don't know if he has the chops to be a Head Coach in the NFL, but with some tweaks I think he can be top OC going right now.

He needs a guy to run his zoom sweep stuff, then the offense will go to another level from that added wrinkle. I propose Kenny McIntosh when he gets healthy.

Waldron needs to lean in more on playaction in general, and use the TEs more when they get down in the red zone to bump those numbers up.

Never had any problems with Schotty when he was here, far better than Bevell. Schotty fixed Seattle's red zone issues they had under Bevell immediately, going from one of worst teams, to one of the best. And Bevell had Marshawn Lynch, Schotty didn't.

if you want to build a run heavy team, which I think Dak needs at this point, Schotty is a great choice for them.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Shane Waldron is the most underrated coach in the league. Great to see PFF giving him his props. I don't know if he has the chops to be a Head Coach in the NFL, but with some tweaks I think he can be top OC going right now.

He needs a guy to run his zoom sweep stuff, then the offense will go to another level from that added wrinkle. I propose Kenny McIntosh when he gets healthy.

Waldron needs to lean in more on playaction in general, and use the TEs more when they get down in the red zone to bump those numbers up.

Never had any problems with Schotty when he was here, far better than Bevell. Schotty fixed Seattle's red zone issues they had under Bevell immediately, going from one of worst teams, to one of the best. And Bevell had Marshawn Lynch, Schotty didn't.

if you want to build a run heavy team, which I think Dak needs at this point, Schotty is a great choice for them.

That is an excellent post Fade, completely agree.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I like Waldron. I would be happy with him being the next head coach if that happens.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think Schotty has a great feel for playcalling but less of a feel for game planning. Too much Marty in him.

Waldron can run hot and cold. When he's hit on a great gameplan the team looks unstoppable, but when he misses (like the plan against the Rams) he looks inept. His play-calling similarly runs hot and cold. The second halves of the Rams game and Panthers game are prime examples of both how bad and how good he can be.

I'm hoping as time goes on, the cold streaks will lessen and he'll be a bit more consistent.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I think Schotty has a great feel for playcalling but less of a feel for game planning. Too much Marty in him.

Waldron can run hot and cold. When he's hit on a great gameplan the team looks unstoppable, but when he misses (like the plan against the Rams) he looks inept. His play-calling similarly runs hot and cold. The second halves of the Rams game and Panthers game are prime examples of both how bad and how good he can be.

I'm hoping as time goes on, the cold streaks will lessen and he'll be a bit more consistent.
I think the injuries to both OT's threw a monkey wrench in the second half of the Rams game, so there is that to take into consideration.
One Tackle goes down Dickerson can maybe jigger with a quick replacement, but when both went down, and being it the McVay Coached Rival Rams Defense? nah, too little time to adapt, & too much blood in the water.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think Schotty made Bevell look like a genius

Lord, not me. I think Schotty wanted to do some different things and Pete wouldn't allow him and forced him to stick to the script.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
Love Schottenheimer. Happy as hell that he's got a chance in Dallas, reunited with Solari's erotic power line play and hosses like Tyler Smith. He deserves another shot, both do.

That said, I'm happy to keep the gravy train rolling with Waldron. He gets cute as hell at times, but overall, not much to complain about. We got a good thing going!
Erotic? 😳