Who is available for OC?

bigcc

Reaction score
Haven't read through the thread but literally every nfl coach sub coordinator level (sorry Kafka stans) and every ncaa coach.

bigcc

Reaction score
Grubb would be awesome. NFL pro style offense with a dizzying amount of motion, with a physical line and not even close to enough credit for how UW could also run the ball.

Takes advantage of his skill players with deep shots for days......and not just the new dink and dunk flavor of the month offenses we see in the NFL now.

I also want secretly to see DeBoer suffer some more, so losing his OC would give me so much pleasure.
I keep seeing this said, and as a uw fan I truly don't understand so please enlighten me.

How many pro offenses take 95+ percent of their snaps from shotgun and have at LEAST three motions (total, if not players) EVERY play pre-snap minus under 2 yards to go???

Penix bouncing between reads isn't the same as that being scheme driven, and please tell me how you know it's grubb and not deboer?

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
After listening to today’s press conference, if this is the guy that Macdonald and Schneider want, they’ll beat out the competition.
I would definitely be in favor of this hire! Just imagine a Macdonald defense paired with a Ben Johnson-esque offense. Not saying that's exactly how it'll turn out, but if they land him, then next season can't come soon enough!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Grubb is a phenomenal coach. Hell, listen to him talk...he isn't just OC material.
I would love him at OC. (UW screwed up big with this not making him HC but that's another issue.)
He tends to dance on the graves of teams when he puts up big leads...which sometimes lets teams back in games - but that offense won the games for UW. And it was pro-style and innovative.
If you cannot get an OC HC, you get a DC HC with a terrific OC.

I like the Lions passing game, maybe not enough to bring in their passing game coordinator as our OC though. Rather roll the die on someone like Grubb. But we will see.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Grubb is a phenomenal coach. Hell, listen to him talk...he isn't just OC material.
I would love him at OC. (UW screwed up big with this not making him HC but that's another issue.)
He tends to dance on the graves of teams when he puts up big leads...which sometimes lets teams back in games - but that offense won the games for UW. And it was pro-style and innovative.
If you cannot get an OC HC, you get a DC HC with a terrific OC.

I like the Lions passing game, maybe not enough to bring in their passing game coordinator as our OC though. Rather roll the die on someone like Grubb. But we will see.
I don’t understand why UW did give him the job. Any reason? Fisch had one nice season, but imho he got lucky. If DeLaura doesn’t get hurt, he doesn’t win 10 games. He wasn’t going to go the Noah without the injury.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Its probably because neither Grubb nor Kalen could recruit (hell Kalen couldn't even recruit HIS OWN FORMER QB from SD!). In exchange, they worked the portal like magicians.
But no, it made no sense. I thought Grubb turned UW down. When I heard UW turned Grubb down? (that's the rumor, no proof on my end) I was extremely disappointed.
Fisch is an up and comer, but probably not on a tier w/ Grubb. And Fisch seems to be a Grade AAA *sshole/piece of work.
Im hopeful Fisch can keep UW winning, but I doubt anyone who plays for him will love him - because he probably isn't a great guy just based on how he handled recent events.
(Then again, Bill B seems like a colossal pr*ck too but is probably the greatest HC in NFL history. You don't have to be a good person to build a good W/L record)

It makes no sense. Maybe if the Seahawks get Grubb, it will still be worth it. Listen to his press conferences. The guy sounds like someone you would love to play for.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I keep seeing this said, and as a uw fan I truly don't understand so please enlighten me.

How many pro offenses take 95+ percent of their snaps from shotgun and have at LEAST three motions (total, if not players) EVERY play pre-snap minus under 2 yards to go???

Penix bouncing between reads isn't the same as that being scheme driven, and please tell me how you know it's grubb and not deboer?

Almost 70% of NFL snaps are from shotgun now. That's the pro modern NFL offense, deceipt through layered identical motion to confuse and put as much stress on the defense to make correct reads and be assignment sound.

McVay, Shanahan, McDaniel, and just about every coach and coordinator under the age of 50 run some version of this style of offense.

Grubb is no different.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
But then a good defensive coach in Harbaugh nullified him...

although Michigan has a ton of future elite nfl players
It wasn't just 5th year players, Jesse Minter is another Ravens defensive guru.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I don’t understand why UW did give him the job. Any reason? Fisch had one nice season, but imho he got lucky. If DeLaura doesn’t get hurt, he doesn’t win 10 games. He wasn’t going to go the Noah without the injury.
Fisch is a good recruiter and has head coaching experience.

Fade

Reaction score
Cutting edge, modern. Keep that theme. Disruptive to the current market.

I saw a sprinkle of 2 QBs in the backfield in NFL games this year, used only for a play here and a play there. With so many guys able to both run and throw now. In the not too distant future a team is going to implement this much more, and they will be ahead of the curve.

I'm not suggesting the Seahawks are going to do this, just thinking out loud. And I will be very jealous of the team that rolls this out in the future as a staple of their offense.

What I do want for sure that is more realistic. Is a lot of pre-snap motion, and getting DK to use that cheat motion to make him even more hard to cover. DK lined up at X 80% of the time with no motion, it was not maximizing him as a player, but that was the theme of the Seahawks coaching staff for years, and why they went with MM in the first place. So I am not too worried about this hire as this will be a clear emphasis with whoever they bring in.