Who is available for OC?

zelter

Reaction score
Kingsbury is now available again. I think with his NFL experience he would be a better fit than Grubb

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score

Not sure what role he'd have on the Hawks so I didn't want to create a new thread

BlueTalon

Reaction score

WarHawks

Reaction score
So a team can block another team from interviewing their OC? If that's the case, why is an OC getting poached a concern? I don't understand.

CactusJack

Reaction score
So a team can block another team from interviewing their OC? If that's the case, why is an OC getting poached a concern? I don't understand.
A team can block a lateral move (OC to OC). Assuming they're still employed by the team.

You can't block someone from getting a promotion in title (OC to HC).

The Hawks want to interview Kafka, but it's not a promotion. That's why the Giants are allowed to say no to an interview.

Parallax

Reaction score
A team can block a lateral move (OC to OC). Assuming they're still employed by the team.

You can't block someone from getting a promotion in title (OC to HC).

The Hawks want to interview Kafka, but it's not a promotion. That's why the Giants are allowed to say no to an interview.
Exactly. And since the trend is to hire offensive minded head coaches, your guy is more likely to get poached if you have a defensive minded head coach paired with a smart, effective OC. Of course McDonald's the exception. After just a couple of years in the DC role, he's off to greener (literally, in our case) pastures.

That said, I'm very happy with Schneider's choice to with McD. Not sure what the issues were with Johnson and Slowik but I trust our GM to make the smart call.

Parallax

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't love the idea of Kafka. So, I'm completely fine with the Giants keeping him.

Grubb would be a fantastic hire.
Loved what Grubb did with the Huskies and I'd be happy if he were the guy. But play calling in the NFL is not the same as in college, so I won't be skipping over myself in joy just yet. Would want to make sure the skill set transfers well.

CactusJack

Reaction score
That said, I'm very happy with Schneider's choice to with McD. Not sure what the issues were with Johnson and Slowik but I trust our GM to make the smart call.
Apparently, Johnson wanted too much money & that's why teams cooled on him. When he didn't get the type of money & offers that he wanted, he decided to stay in Detroit. That's the rumor.

Slowik didn't get 2nd interviews with both the Hawks & Commanders. So, I guess teams didn't think he was ready to become a head coach just yet.

According to Ian Rapoport, he had several teams tell him that Macdonald was the best interview they had. It sounds like he was the Commanders choice as well after Ben Johnson turned them down.

We got very lucky. John & the guys leading this thing played it perfectly. They we're very patient & it paid off.