Who is available for OC?

Parallax

Reaction score
Apparently, Johnson wanted too much money & that's why teams cooled on him. When he didn't get the type of money & offers that he wanted, he decided to stay in Detroit. That's the rumor.

Slowik didn't get 2nd interviews with both the Hawks & Commanders. So, I guess teams didn't think he was ready to become a head coach just yet.

According to Ian Rapoport, he had several teams tell him that Macdonald was the best interview they had. It sounds like he was the Commanders choice as well after Ben Johnson turned them down.

We got very lucky. John & the guys leading this thing played it perfectly. They we're very patient & it paid off.
I've heard similar rumors and my thoughts are similar to yours. Until now, we never really knew which decisions had Carroll's fingerprints on them and which were from Schneider. I suspect that Carroll was calling the shots on the draft until the Wilson trade and then Jody put John in charge. But I've long figured I could be giving Schneider too much credit. The trades in which we overpaid I attributed to Pete. Those few where we got a great deal I credited to John.

So this was the first real world test of who Schneider is and, as far as I'm concerned, he looks great. At least so far.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I've heard similar rumors and my thoughts are similar to yours. Until now, we never really knew which decisions had Carroll's fingerprints on them and which were from Schneider. I suspect that Carroll was calling the shots on the draft until the Wilson trade and then Jody put John in charge. But I've long figured I could be giving Schneider too much credit. The trades in which we overpaid I attributed to Pete. Those few where we got a great deal I credited to John.

So this was the first real world test of who Schneider is and, as far as I'm concerned, he looks great. At least so far.
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Both good & bad.

John has said that they changed their draft philosophy. They reached for need too much in the past. That's what did them in. As far as I'm concerned, John has always been in charge of the draft. Or at least the one leading it. So, I can't give him a pass for that.

Parallax

Reaction score

John has said that they changed their draft philosophy. They reached for need too much in the past. That's what did them in. As far as I'm concerned, John has always been in charge of the draft. Or at least the one leading it. So, I can't give him a pass for that.
My guess is he was being polite and politically correct. Can't take on Carroll and probably wouldn't want to. Just as he said kind words about Geno but what he didn't say spoke so much louder.

chris98251

Reaction score
I read today that Macdonald is the highest paid first year coach ever, they didn't give numbers but I would think it is possible at 6 years, that and if he was THE GUY then they would lock him up. If Johnson wanted too much money it had to be a boat load, I think it would be more along the line of player control since we paid Macdonald. John would not give that up.

Parallax

Reaction score
I read today that Macdonald is the highest paid first year coach ever, they didn't give numbers but I would think it is possible at 6 years, that and if he was THE GUY then they would lock him up. If Johnson wanted too much money it had to be a boat load, I think it would be more along the line of player control since we paid Macdonald. John would not give that up.
Those are the rumors I've seen. That Johnson wanted $15M per year and some control. No way John was giving up the latter, given how long he waited for it. Not sure how wide Jody was willing to open her wallet but, rich as she is, my guess is fairly wide. We could be paying Macdonald quite a bit less and it could still be the largest contract for a first-time coach.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Those are the rumors I've seen. That Johnson wanted $15M per year and some control. No way John was giving up the latter, given how long he waited for it. Not sure how wide Jody was willing to open her wallet but, rich as she is, my guess is fairly wide. We could be paying Macdonald quite a bit less and it could still be the largest contract for a first-time coach.
Macdonald is set to make $9M per year. That's on top of Jody paying Pete his salary ($15M) this year as well.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
9 million for a job you never have done is a nice get, Johnson appears to be less they guy I would want with every news item that comes out.

Parallax

Reaction score
9 million for a job you never have done is a nice get, Johnson appears to be less they guy I would want with every news item that comes out.
Not me. Everything I read and hear encourages me. No guarantees of course. But he seems really smart and engaged, and capable of leading a team. $9M a year is more than I can afford but I'm happy to let Jody spend her money. My God, she has so much more than she can ever spend and the team probably only adds to her wealth.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not me. Everything I read and hear encourages me. No guarantees of course. But he seems really smart and engaged, and capable of leading a team. $9M a year is more than I can afford but I'm happy to let Jody spend her money. My God, she has so much more than she can ever spend and the team probably only adds to her wealth.
I'm talking about Johnson wanting 15 and control of personal without proving he can do the job or manage a roster. Securing Macdonald for 9 million if he was your real target and him getting that is a good get for both sides.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Mike Garafolo said it was $9M. Which is the highest for a 1st time HC.
I would take it with a grain of salt I did an extensive search on the subject and came up with nothing not even something from an unreliable source. Last year Ryans got around $4 million APY I am thinking it will be in that area for a rookie HC

Parallax

Reaction score
The numbers are so unreal to normal folks (like me and I'm guessing for you too), it's just silly. Four million versus nine million? Either is well beyond any sum that I'd know how to spend. But then I'm not one who would even want a private jet or yacht. Stuff like that seems so wasteful. If I had money like that, I'd give most of it away. God knows there are people and places and causes that need it.

Parallax

Reaction score
Getting back on track with the OC search. It seems to have slowed way down. Any news on Grubb or the Lions coach?
I'm not seeing any. There was a mention of the possibility of Jay Harbaugh coming to the Hawks. And of course the Giants move to block us from interviewing Kafka for the OC job.

GemCity

Reaction score

As no one bats a thousand, I do believe JS had some hand in what transpired here the last few years.

But, PC had a unique role in this organization. Lots of autonomy. Lots of power.

When you’re “in charge” of something, ultimate responsibility is yours. The hiring/firing of OCs and DCs. Playcalling. Drafting…

On his very first and likely most important task, JS knocked it out of the park.

I believe that JS wanted to get from under PCs shadow and do the job to its fullest. He wanted the responsibility that comes with the title. That doesn’t mean he disliked PC…

One fact to address any discernment, JS is still here. PC isn’t. If JS was responsible for what Jody ultimately deemed undesired, it would’ve been the perfect time to let JS walk as well.

He’s still here.

OC wise…Grubb is an exciting prospect!

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Bill Musgrave may be a darkhorse candidate. He has a connection with Leslie Frazier and as Frazier is considered a mentor to Macdonald, there could be some synchronicity there. Bill is currently a senior offensive assistant with the Browns. Here are a couple of links on Bill's offense scheme -

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Bill Musgrave may be a darkhorse candidate. He has a connection with Leslie Frazier and as Frazier is considered a mentor to Macdonald, there could be some synchronicity there. Bill is currently a senior offensive assistant with the Browns. Here are a couple of links to how Bill's offense scheme -
I'd file that under the category of "Looking under every rock."