What is your gut telling you?

Will we look better when the real bullets start flying?

• This is a 4 wins or fewer team

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • This team will be middling between 5 and 9 wins

Votes: 82 62.6%
  • This team will surprise us all by winning 10 or more games

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Fire everybody, we are only delaying the inevitable long term re-build

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

toffee

Reaction score
But it is not a fair question Keasely. That was was the reason for the sarcastic comment. ALMOST EVERY Seahawk fan would take that roster back, if it gave you Lynch, Kam, & Earl.

I would happily have a zero win season if you assured me Lynch and 3/4 of the LOB in their prime were back.

Way unfair.

I would pick that roster 10 of 10 if you gave me back Lynch and Kam, 2 of my most beloved Seahawks ever. Right up there with Walt.

So yes, please make the trade. Get our legends back.
In 2010, those names weren't HOF yet. In 2010, those names were some misfit that Pete Carroll signed or drafted. In 2010, fans were calling for firing Pete for getting those names. By the way, you sir do not speak for all fans.

OP
OP
M

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
It weird how we keep telling people what will happen, it happens, then they move the goalpost.

I keep seeing things like people saying 'Pete will get the most from this team' (that is not an accomplishment, because there is no way to measure it, it is a subjective assessment).
So I will make a declarative statement.

#1 (Almost assured)
Pete will never win another playoff game in the NFL for the rest of his coaching career. That is a reasonable prediction, and if true, it is hard to be excited about keeping him. Because I expect that not this year, but next year, Russ will. And he will continue to win them in additional years.

#2 (Not a given but very likely)
Pete will leave this team in worse shape (in terms of roster strength/viability) than when he got here, as he did at USC.

But this is about the expectations for this season, which is what the QB controversy is about. So what are the #s?

For Detractors:
What would make you jump on the Pete train if you are off it and jump off it if you are on it?
How many wins would get you completely on board?

For me?
Top 5 Defense or 10+ wins or 2 playoffs wins (in any order)

For Supporters:
What would make you want to see change?
How many wins would make you want to go in a different direction than Pete?

(The whole, who else question is a canard. Before you fix a problem, you must admit you have one.)
I’ll take that bet that you think Pete will never win another playoff game and I’ll raise you that Pete will win another Super Bowl before he’s done. I’m a season ticket holder. I’ll put two regular season tickets up to any game you want to go to against something equally valuable from you. This bet can’t be settled until Pete retires or wins the Super Bowl so we’ll have to be in for the long term to make this work.
Let me know if you’re in twisted husky.

OP
OP
M

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
Keasely,

Come on. I suspect most people would rather the 2010 roster than this one. Credit where credit is due, Carroll arranged trades that brought in guys like Lynch. But let's be realistic.

If you are right, then the downtrend Carroll & this team has been on for 5 years can be stymied. Nobody wants you to be wrong because nobody (of the Seahawk fans) wants to see us lose.
But for the past 5 years, it has been a flurry of sometimes plausible excuses. The 2 constants have been Russ and Pete.
Otherwise, it feels like we are past the excuses stage.

Now Russ is gone. So it is either Pete and things continue or it was Russ and they improve.

But

Yes

Things that suck for us in the preseason continue to be problems for us all year long. Very rarely is that different.
You are living in the past. Live in the now

JPatera76

Reaction score
my guts telling me this team is utter shit and PC has gone completely f'n senile.
Defense looks no different.. if not WORSE then its ever looked under PC, mr "Defensive guru" ... and the Offense.. well... Every damn teams BACKUP plays better then both lock and Geno.

This preason has left abosulety nothing to be desired. And left really little to look forward. Our rookies growth will be stunted here if we saw anything especially after today. Eason.. EASON looks smoother than out supposed 2 starting qbs...

morgulon1

Reaction score
Feels like a 6-11 team, but hopefully the running game is legit and it keeps them in a lot of games. I suspect they will struggle until around November. But, a lot of really good young players are getting their experience and reps this year. Add that to a lot of draft picks in 2023, and this team can be good sooner than later imo.
Yep. Get some experience, another excellent draft then compete for superb owls for the next 5-6 years. Without a midget fake azz wanna be homie
For quarterback.

Go Hawks!!!

JPatera76

Reaction score
I may be a little drunk... But i feel A Jim Mora Led seahawks team would walk all over us right now.

OP
OP
M

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
my guts telling me this team is utter shit and PC has gone completely f'n senile.
Defense looks no different.. if not WORSE then its ever looked under PC, mr "Defensive guru" ... and the Offense.. well... Every damn teams BACKUP plays better then both lock and Geno.

This preason has left abosulety nothing to be desired. And left really little to look forward. Our rookies growth will be stunted here if we saw anything especially after today. Eason.. EASON looks smoother than out supposed 2 starting qbs...
You might be utterly correct about this team falling short of the accolades that they are striving for. However, I don’t think
Pete is senile. I do agree that the QB situation is teetering on serviceable/horrible. PC IS responsible for leading the league in lowest points against for 5 years in a row. That’s top three in modern (since passing was a real thing) league history. I believe that he is putting together his legacy team. He knows he can’t rebuild it again after this. IIRC, I don’t think he called it a rebuild in 2010 when he first came to Seattle. Lol.
This guy has one attitude and that is I will build it, I will never consider failing. I will always focus on things that make me successful. That’s powerful. Anyone who doesn’t recognize how powerful that is, is selling themselves short.
He doesn’t ignore problems because solving problems makes you successful and that’s what the focus is always on.
Some people hear a person who is 100% focused on success and things they can control, while giving no attention to things that are detractors other than dealing with the inconveniences and re-focusing on the goal and get upset at that person for being unrealistic. Pete doesn’t overreact to the situation. He has big goals and a solid plan along with inspiration and experience.
Let me add that Pete does suffer from emotional decisions at times. He is the poster child for having a situational coach who can get Pete to make the right decision most of the time.
Lastly, I see some positive things coming from the preseason. We got to see some players who are young and talented. We saw that Geno is safe from a turnover standpoint but pretty limp in terms of attacking prowess. I don’t think that we’ve seen a full accounting of Drew Lock at this point. However, he does appear to be as he was in Denver a turnover machine with massive decision making problems. This year is about developing the rest of the roster in my opinion.

silvergun

Reaction score
Before preseason I thought this team was going to surprise a lot of people. Thought they could be better than many were predicting.

After watching this clown show in action I think we have a real shot at the number one pick in the draft.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score

Either you're really drunk, you lost money betting on one or more preseason games or you are expressing poorly designed sarcasm.

I suggest you stop watching football and enjoy the rest of summer away from visual stimulation.

OP
OP
M

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
Yep. Get some experience, another excellent draft then compete for superb owls for the next 5-6 years. Without a midget fake azz wanna be homie
For quarterback.

Go Hawks!!!
Wait…are you calling Russs m
“Midget fake azz wanna be homie?”
That would be hilarious. He is such a great person in terms of being generous with his time and money. He’s an ultra talented quarterback who kept the Seahawks in the spotlight for a decade. I respect this man greatly even though I am happy that he is gone because his agenda didn’t coordinate with the Seahawks franchise agenda and so we had to part ways. He was amazing when he was here. I think that we will miss his magic but I think that he will miss the magic of the Seahawks as well.

JPatera76

Reaction score
at least we're are laughing.. im laughing at myself still because idk if we can top jim mora bad

silvergun

Reaction score
My gut is also telling me that we probably should’ve taken a chance on Mayfield.

camdawg

Reaction score
I disagree with your take that extending Pete was a mistake. I’m actually stunned by how much vitriol there is for Pete on this site. He brought this team to the promisedland and if it weren’t for one **** up at the end of Super Bowl 49 he would have two Super Bowls. If your franchise QB would buy into your head coache’s plan you would be very successful but when your franchise QB thinks that he needs to be putting up stats to make his Hall of Fame case or his case as one of the best QBs of all time then you lose the team concept. It takes an entire team to be successful in the NFL.
You're right, it does take an entire team. So there's no excuse for Pete and John to be so bad at putting together a RB and OL roster, that RUSS had to be the team's leading rusher in 2017.

And speaking of that season...after all the injuries and bad signings...we'd still make the playoffs if Pete doesn't sign the scrub kicker that choked against us in the Ice Bowl playoff game.

And that season was one of many Pete and John screwups. Why did we sign Blair Walsh in the first place? Because Stephen Haushka struggled the year before. And why did Haushka struggle? You took away his reliable long snapper, Clint Gresham, because they thought he made too much money and we needed to save a couple hundred grand at that position.

The point is, Pete and John have made screwup after screwup from Super Bowl 49 onward. That doesn't mean you can't be grateful for Super Bowl 48 and those great early drafts.

But you can't tell me that "Always Compete" was a truly honest slogan when Paul Allen gave Pete and John all the money needed to have the best coaching staff money can buy. And yet the coaching staff was always full of USC cronies, or even Pete's own kids. The crumbling of our elite team started at the very top and the lack of accountability there. How different would team morale have been after SB49 if Darrell Bevell had been given the sack?

OP
OP
M

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
You're right, it does take an entire team. So there's no excuse for Pete and John to be so bad at putting together a RB and OL roster, that RUSS had to be the team's leading rusher in 2017.

And speaking of that season...after all the injuries and bad signings...we'd still make the playoffs if Pete doesn't sign the scrub kicker that choked against us in the Ice Bowl playoff game.

And that season was one of many Pete and John screwups. Why did we sign Blair Walsh in the first place? Because Stephen Haushka struggled the year before. And why did Haushka struggle? You took away his reliable long snapper, Clint Gresham, because they thought he made too much money and we needed to save a couple hundred grand at that position.

The point is, Pete and John have made screwup after screwup from Super Bowl 49 onward. That doesn't mean you can't be grateful for Super Bowl 48 and those great early drafts.

But you can't tell me that "Always Compete" was a truly honest slogan when Paul Allen gave Pete and John all the money needed to have the best coaching staff money can buy. And yet the coaching staff was always full of USC cronies, or even Pete's own kids. The crumbling of our elite team started at the very top and the lack of accountability there. How different would team morale have been after SB49 if Darrell Bevell had been given the sack?
I wont disagree that some bad decisions were made but I argue that having an HC and a QB with different opinions about how the team should be made up is too divisive to be successful. Pete was far too deferential and should have, in retrospect, moved on from Russell Wilson earlier if he didn’t agree with Pete’s plans. For the record I would’ve been crushed and crushed the entire organization had this happened.
Also, when you’ve had success under the plan of the HC or the QB and then you interject the thoughts of the one who’s plan it wasn’t, you end up with a mediocre byproduct more often than a successful hybrid. IMO
Even with congruent communication and faithful effort it’s difficult to win the Super Bowl. For me Super Bowl 48 was the culmination of that.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Wait…are you calling Russs m
“Midget fake azz wanna be homie?”
That would be hilarious. He is such a great person in terms of being generous with his time and money. He’s an ultra talented quarterback who kept the Seahawks in the spotlight for a decade. I respect this man greatly even though I am happy that he is gone because his agenda didn’t coordinate with the Seahawks franchise agenda and so we had to part ways. He was amazing when he was here. I think that we will miss his magic but I think that he will miss the magic of the Seahawks as well.
Thanks Mike D cause you get respect.