What is our plan?

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Aussie Seahawk":3eum2j44 said:
Grahamhawker":3eum2j44 said:
I'm sitting here eating pancakes saying, "Yup, yup, and yup!" to the points in this post.

Or were they waffles? Sorry, I'l slap myself, that was unproductive.

I admit, I chuckled. As far as a plan, I believe an extension for Earl is on deck with the newfound cap savings.

poly1274

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":ga21jd6q said:
Aussie Seahawk":ga21jd6q said:
Grahamhawker":ga21jd6q said:
I'm sitting here eating pancakes saying, "Yup, yup, and yup!" to the points in this post.

I admit, I chuckled. As far as a plan, I believe an extension for Earl is on deck with the newfound cap savings.

Cant agree with that. What if he gets injured next season? It would be simillar as Kam's situation.

original poster

Reaction score
poly1274":z2gihrbq said:
Hawk Finn":z2gihrbq said:
Aussie Seahawk":z2gihrbq said:
Grahamhawker":z2gihrbq said:

Cant agree with that. What if he gets injured next season? It would be simillar as Kam's situation.

Your options are basically trade him or extend him.

My bet is nobody will give up the asking price so I'm 95% sure he gets an extension.

Earl will be pushing for big guarantees while the team tries to limit those guarantees so they don't have a Kam part deux.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maelstrom,

Cam Robinson was a 2nd round pick.

Ramczyk was a 1st. Sure, hindsight being 20/20 we should have gotten him. But my understanding was Cam was the pick we traded to Jacksonville so we know he was available there. And we are assuming they traded the 1st to get picks for this year for a reload they should have been planning for. Since this thread is essentially a lament about what looks to be the lack of planning on the part of the FO (beyond short term moves).

(It still leads one to wonder, why you do a rebuild with a QB in his prime knowing that in a few years you are likely without a coach and starting the process to find another one.)

adeltaY

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2mgd3xuw said:
Maelstrom,

Cam Robinson was a 2nd round pick.

Ramczyk was a 1st. Sure, hindsight being 20/20 we should have gotten him. But my understanding was Cam was the pick we traded to Jacksonville so we know he was available there. And we are assuming they traded the 1st to get picks for this year for a reload they should have been planning for. Since this thread is essentially a lament about what looks to be the lack of planning on the part of the FO (beyond short term moves).

(It still leads one to wonder, why you do a rebuild with a QB in his prime knowing that in a few years you are likely without a coach and starting the process to find another one.)

Honestly, I think with Cable we would just have Ifedi 2.0 if we drafted Robinson. Zero faith in his ability to develop a guy in Robinson mould.

Own The West

Reaction score
I think they knew the team was good but past its prime, so they went all in trying to squeeze out another superbowl from the current group.

If it would have paid off, they still would have jettisoned all these players because they have to get younger to keep growing. Last year's roster had plateaued and it would be a desperation fire sale a year from now instead of a modest roster churn this year.

I will be interested to see if they try to rebuild a LOB-style unit again, or if they go with a more incremental approach where they are replacing a few pieces each year a la New England.

If we keep Earl and Richardson, I'd say they're looking to be more incremental; if we continue to purge, I'd say they are looking for a full rebuild.

Pete was in the college game for a while, he's used to churning 20-25% of the team every year. We had those huge classes in 2010-2012, so maybe the churn is going to be 30-35% this year, but I don't see it as random or knee jerk.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
Get Wilson some better skill players on offense should be the plan. I love Baldwin, but outside of these two there isn't another player on offense that scares any DC in the league (Well unless we are talking about the Browns). The Offensive line has to be fixed first though.

Hawker8989

Reaction score
I think the window shut at about 7:15 pm on February 1st, 2015. The only playoff win in three seasons following has been against the Lions.

Oh well, SB 48 can't be taken away. At least we aren't the Browns or Jags...

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
Hawker8989":df0bve2g said:
I think the window shut at about 7:15 pm on February 1st, 2015. The only playoff win in three seasons following has been against the Lions.

You mean the Browns or the Lions. The Jags don't look too bad right now lol.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Hawker8989":jkfmd3az said:

We (Blair Walsh) did also beat the Vikings in the playoffs following the 2015 season.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
ducks41468":1vz56kz9 said:
I'm not sure what we're doing. We're not rebuilding, because you don't rebuild with a franchise QB in his prime. But we're certainly not improving. Seems to me like we're just declining. We're going to turn into a less exciting version of the 2014-2016 Saints or the 2010-current Chargers, a team with a barren roster being carried by its one and only asset, the QB.

We are rebuilding. Just because were not in the market for a QB doesn't change that. We have no reliable running game no reliable skill position players on offense at all other than Doug and Wilson. We have a below average offensive line. We lost our best redzone target in Jimmy and the best CB in the league when healthy, We may be losing one of the best SS in the league and i'm not sure if Cliff will be back or Sheldon Richardson. We have turned over the entire coaching staff with the exception of Pete. They are rebuilding next year is a transition year we will not be a playoff team unless we strike gold in the draft and the other teams in the division regress.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3df1fnh4 said:
ducks41468":3df1fnh4 said:
I'm not sure what we're doing. We're not rebuilding, because you don't rebuild with a franchise QB in his prime. But we're certainly not improving. Seems to me like we're just declining. We're going to turn into a less exciting version of the 2014-2016 Saints or the 2010-current Chargers, a team with a barren roster being carried by its one and only asset, the QB.

We are rebuilding. Just because were not in the market for a QB doesn't change that. We have no reliable running game no reliable skill position players on offense at all other than Doug and Wilson. We have a below average offensive line. We lost our best redzone target in Jimmy and the best CB in the league when healthy, We may be losing one of the best SS in the league and i'm not sure if Cliff will be back or Sheldon Richardson. We have turned over the entire coaching staff with the exception of Pete. They are rebuilding next year is a transition year we will not be a playoff team unless we strike gold in the draft and the other teams in the division regress.

If cap cutting and trading potential liabilities off of the roster was a surefire way to miss the playoffs, nobody would ever get there. The sky is not falling. Business decisions are being made.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Overpaying early in Free Agency is not always the way to go. I'm glad they are letting this first rush of players go thru. But, whatever they decide to, people will complain, so there is that.

RCATES

Reaction score
I think the best route for this team is to continue to unload (bad contracts/ injured and dragging it out players) and hope for a great draft in 2019. This team suddenly is the 3rd best team in the division and even that's a stretch. Arizona came in here last year with 3/4 of their team on IR including their starting QB and stud RB and still beat us. Front office has been terrible the last 3 drafts and they traded away most of this years draft. This team is in a tough spot and not making a run this year. Might as well continue to build up the Cap and reload next year. They won't though. Today they will use up there remaining Cap on another FA bust and put this team back another 2-3 years.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
The Rams and 49ers are getting much better, after years of drudgery (and high draft picks). Don’t forget that fact.

Seattle is not getting better. It is as plain as day.

I lean towards being an optimist about most things in life. However, I just don’t see it here. What, we’ve lost 7-8 key players, it appears? Maybe more to come there (ET?). We’ve done nothing to improve the OL (outside of a new coach - which should be positive). Ifedi still gonna Ifedi. Our running game appears to be pinned on an unproven 7th round RB coming back from a gruesome leg injury, another RB who was largely cast aside (PC’s doghouse?) last year and another who can’t stay healthy. The WR room is in fact now mostly “pedestrian”, with the exception of Baldwin. Maybe Lockett too. We have no kicker and last year, couldn’t find anyone better than the Blair Walsh Project.

We may be in for a very difficult couple of years.

I am sure some of you will bash this outlook but in doing so, you’re simply signing up for the “trust PC and JS” mantra. That was fine for me, at one time. However, among other things, the fact that they ever thought the OL abomination of the last 2 years would work is beyond me. The fact that they let it continue from 2016 to 2017 is even more perplexing. It was kind of the joke of the NFL last year. It is a minor miracle Wilson wasn’t dismembered at some point.

For me, it’s time to reset expectations and watch a rebuild over the next 2-3 years. I hope I am proven wrong.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":7mpa0xt1 said:
Seattle is not getting better. It is as plain as day.

Make no mistake, this is a rebuild.

I know Pete and others don't like that word, and are trying to soften it to a "reload." But that's not accurate, "reload is what the Patriot's do every year, they target 4-5 key positions, and go after the best fit for their system.

We have half our roster to fill, that's impossible to "reload" with only 30M of cap space and no 2nd or 3rd round draft picks.

The only thing for me as an unknown is will Pete and John draft well again over the next 2-3 years and get this roster packed full of young, hungry and talented athletes so we can make another run at a SB? Or are they going to continue the cycle of the past 3-4 years of missing horribly in the draft and making bone headed FA moves and trades?

Cause the trend right now is unfortunately the latter, and not the former. But we'll see.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":ua6d5m8u said:
We? This team will rebuild it up and be back.

Yes, sometimes fans use the pronoun "we" in a possessive grammatical form to show allegiance and passionate self involvement.

I know I do not own the Seattle Seahawks. Can we move on now?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2blq2cc2 said:
SoulfishHawk":2blq2cc2 said:
We? This team will rebuild it up and be back.

Yes, sometimes fans use the pronoun "we" in a possessive grammatical form to show allegiance and passionate self involvement.

I know I do not own the Seattle Seahawks. Can we move on now?

We?