What is our plan?

ducks41468

Reaction score
I'm not sure what we're doing. We're not rebuilding, because you don't rebuild with a franchise QB in his prime. But we're certainly not improving. Seems to me like we're just declining. We're going to turn into a less exciting version of the 2014-2016 Saints or the 2010-current Chargers, a team with a barren roster being carried by its one and only asset, the QB.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Are there even any exciting FA players to target with this new cap space? Or are these to just resign Earl, Duane, and Sheldon? Offense was the culprit for most of the issues last year and are losing their only TD scorer. They better step up because it’s likely there will be some growing pains on defense.

Fade

Reaction score
The problems with the Pete Carroll Seahawks have always boiled down to offense.

They will be fine on defense, Pete is amazing on that side of the ball and knows what he is doing.

The problem with the offense is somewhat complicated, but I will try to simplify it because I don't like writing walls of text.

Pete wants complete control and say on offense even though it isn't his expertise. So coaches on that side of the ball are always going to be inferior yes men, he doesn't want anyone challenging his "philosophy".

He had 2 black holes in Cable & Bevell, players on offense just in general had no shot at developing.

Alex Collins on the Seahawks is a bum. Alex Collins on the Ravens is a top 5 DVOA runningback.

It isn't bad drafting. it is bad coaching.

Jimmy Graham the most dangerous redzone weapon in football with the Saints, is relegated to inline blocker & decoy for his 1st 2.5 seasons with the team. Not a bad trade, just bad coaching.

The final litmus test was Duane Brown. I watched that dude get worse every game he played. After being very impressed with his 1st game, by the end of the year he looked like just a guy at the position.

In terms of how I would rank the Seahawks problems of the last few years it would be.

1 Bad offensive coaching.

2 Bad early free agency signings.

3 Mediocre drafting.

1 & 2 need to get fixed or it won't matter who you're drafting. They won't develop, and they won't play because they will be stuck behind $$$$$ free agent scrubs like Cary Williams, Luke Joeckel, J'Marcus Webb, & Eddie Lacy. :pukeface:

To simplify it even more though it just boils down to running the football at the end of the day.

Pete can take care of the D, Russ can take care of the passing game, now insert a competent running game and the team will be fine. Despite Pete's foibles as a coach.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
What I saw was our defense starting the year as a slower older D and we are going to be getting younger and faster with growing pains assuredly but all the other teams minus the pats have faced it so we will have to hope our new coaches do their jobs well and PCJS do what they did the first time around
Hopefully we will get 2 more SB's this time instead of 1
Go Hawks

renofox

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3v0o4mz1 said:
Finding new franchise players? Have they found any in years?

You are expecting this to change?

We won because we had players that were measurably better than players on the opposing team. It isn't enough to get 'good' players. They need to be great, or we won't even make the playoffs.

I don't see a plan either. Last year they didn't know they might lose ET soon? Why not draft Baker then? Why draft a worthless DT and not Cam Robinson, who the Jaguars picked WITH THE PICK WE TRADED THEM. He will probably solidify their line for the next 6-8 years.

Our front office might have a plan but since it is clear they are over their heads or don't know what they are doing? Does it matter?

They will no longer have a loaded roster to make up for all their bad decisions.

This was very much true with Bevell as OC.

Is it still true? Probably, but I'll choose to be optimistic and believe new coordinators can turn around the sub-par utilization of talent that has been a hallmark of the PC era.

renofox

Reaction score
Fade":1jc20oi1 said:
He had 2 black holes in Cable & Bevell, players on offense just in general had no shot at developing.

Alex Collins on the Seahawks is a bum. Alex Collins on the Ravens is a top 5 DVOA runningback.

Jimmy Graham the most dangerous redzone weapon in football with the Saints, is relegated to inline blocker & decoy for his 1st 2.5 seasons with the team. Not a bad trade, just bad coaching.

The final litmus test was Duane Brown. I watched that dude get worse every game he played. After being very impressed with his 1st game, by the end of the year he looked like just a guy at the position.

Truth.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Aros":2w1j9mb2 said:
If this was Billichick it would simply be another day at the office.

This. Which is why I am not going ballistic right now. These tough decisions have to be made. The problem is that Pete & John are NOWHERE near as good as Belichick is at REPLACING the players that they let go. This is what worries me. We could very well be battling the Cards for the cellar of the NFC west this year. Our defense has almost always kept games close. Take that away, and we are in trouble. Right now, our defense has gotten worse and our offense hasn't improved. That is a recipe for disaster with this team. There is still a lot of time left, which is why I am just going to sit back and watch and see what happens. Really, that is all we can do as fans anyway.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
We don't appear to have a plan.

What a mess. Lose Sherman for NOTHING in return.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
WmHBonney":6e4bhys7 said:
Aros":6e4bhys7 said:
If this was Billichick it would simply be another day at the office.

This. Which is why I am not going ballistic right now. These tough decisions have to be made. The problem is that Pete & John are NOWHERE near as good as Belichick is at REPLACING the players that they let go. This is what worries me. We could very well be battling the Cards for the cellar of the NFC west this year. Our defense has almost always kept games close. Take that away, and we are in trouble. Right now, our defense has gotten worse and our offense hasn't improved. That is a recipe for disaster with this team. There is still a lot of time left, which is why I am just going to sit back and watch and see what happens. Really, that is all we can do as fans anyway.

Lotta truth there.

Regarding the Pats, the Belichickian decision to let a player go makes a lot more sense when it is part of an overall Belichickian plan, which probably includes the replacement player as a key idea. I'm not sure we have one of those. And while the Pats do straight up release players, it seems like they often get a high return by trading at the right time as a regular part of that plan. The context of doing the opposite for years makes it a problem for the Hawks. If this was the plan, it should have been implemented after XLIX if not sooner.

adeltaY

Reaction score
ducks41468":2q7meazd said:
I'm not sure what we're doing. We're not rebuilding, because you don't rebuild with a franchise QB in his prime. But we're certainly not improving. Seems to me like we're just declining. We're going to turn into a less exciting version of the 2014-2016 Saints or the 2010-current Chargers, a team with a barren roster being carried by its one and only asset, the QB.

Oh man, that is DARK. You captured it pretty well though. We will basically be the Chargers if we don't start hitting on picks and signings and doing so ASAP. At least Russ got a ring. The Chargers have had a fantastic and very underrated QB in Rivers for years and nothing's come of it. Man, those Saints teams were just bad too. Poor Brees was throwing for 5K yards and they couldn't even break .500. The worst part of the rebuild/retooling will be watching Russell Wilson in his prime on a crap team.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Fade":v64fl0gw said:

They will be fine on defense, Pete is amazing on that side of the ball and knows what he is doing.

The problem with the offense is somewhat complicated, but I will try to simplify it because I don't like writing walls of text.

Pete wants complete control and say on offense even though it isn't his expertise. So coaches on that side of the ball are always going to be inferior yes men, he doesn't want anyone challenging his "philosophy".

In terms of how I would rank the Seahawks problems of the last few years it would be.

3 Mediocre drafting.

1 & 2 need to get fixed or it won't matter who you're drafting. They won't develop, and they won't play because they will be stuck behind $$$$$ free agent scrubs like Cary Williams, Luke Joeckel, J'Marcus Webb, & Eddie Lacy. :pukeface:

To simplify it even more though it just boils down to running the football at the end of the day.

Pete can take care of the D, Russ can take care of the passing game, now insert a competent running game and the team will be fine. Despite Pete's foibles as a coach.

Nicely said bro. Everything is spot on, nice job. You need to start posting more here.

massari

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why Duane Brown's name is never mentioned as a trade piece.

He's going to be 33 by the start of the season and it'd open up almost $10M in cap room.

If they can get at least a 2nd rounder back for him, why not get something while you can during the "youth movement"?

adeltaY

Reaction score
massari":1n2hnghw said:
What I don't understand is why Duane Brown's name is never mentioned as a trade piece.

He's going to be 33 by the start of the season and it'd open up almost $10M in cap room.

If they can get at least a 2nd rounder back for him, why not get something while you can during the "youth movement"?

There's no way we would get anything close to a second for DB. If we traded him we would probably get a 4th and Russ would be even more screwed.

massari

Reaction score
adeltaY":m5febmdk said:
massari":m5febmdk said:

There's no way we would get anything close to a second for DB. If we traded him we would probably get a 4th and Russ would be even more screwed.
I guess I seem to overvalue Seahawks players. Thought they could get a 3rd for Bennett, a 3rd for Sherman and a 1st for Thomas.

But like I wouldn't have traded Bennett for anything less than a 3rd, I wouldn't trade DB for anything less than a 2nd.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2iv4wa9f said:
Why draft a worthless DT and not Cam Robinson, who the Jaguars picked WITH THE PICK WE TRADED THEM. He will probably solidify their line for the next 6-8 years.

Oh boy, another hot take about Cam Robinson.

Malik McDowell was a decent prospect for pick 34. He got in an ATV accident that I'm sure you could have predicted. Pass rushing 3T was a need and we drafted it.

Cam Robinson did not have a good rookie season. Ramczyk with the Saints had a very good one, but Cam Robinson did not. You'd be whining about that pick too had it happened.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Fade":2f110m4m said:

3 Mediocre drafting.

This is right on, the changes in the O staff will allow the team to Pete’s style of O which relies upon a running game. I blame Cable as much as Bevell as Pete deferred to much to Cable and bought into his nonsense which most everyone except him could see wasn’t working. When the wheels fell off this last season Cable’s incompetence was exposed and it was already clear Bevell was in over his head.

I’m expecting some more shocking personnel moves. Very low early key FA moves wouldn’t surprise me while keeping the critical lower level players. If they can find a 2nd round pick and at least an early 4th they may stick at 18. Drafting an OL, DT or DE/OLB, and/or a RB early.

The team played adequately w/o RS and will continue to do so. I am less worried than I was when I heard RS was released.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
massari":2xwt2ny8 said:

So get rid of the best lineman on the team? No thank you. 33 at lineman is middle aged. He is worth the money. Where would you like to spend our proveniences?

massari

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1swgeoca said:
massari":1swgeoca said:

So get rid of the best lineman on the team? No thank you. 33 at lineman is middle aged. He is worth the money. Where would you like to spend our proveniences?
XfRvJ1H.gif