Dickson is a contributing factor to our defenses poor ranking?

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Michael Dickson is a contributing factor to our defenses poor ranking?

Our ranking is based on yds allowed rushing for rushing defense and yds allowed passing for passing defense...both of these stats are accumulation stats so sure...as the defense fails to accumulate "3 and outs" the opponent drives further and further down the field...but its Dickson's superior punting that gives our opponent such a long field to accumulate such bad stats. Just kidding!

All kidding aside...if our defense rises as expected then it can take advantage of the great punting of Dickson giving our opponent such a bad starting field position.

Michael Dickson was recruited as a punter by the Texas Longhorns after You Tube footage of his exploits as an Australian Football player demonstrated excellent distance and placement skills.

Patrick Conn
October 10, 2020 8:57 pm CT
During his time at the University of Texas, Michael Dickson was one of the best punters in college football. He has the hardware to prove it. During his final season on the Forty Acres, Dickson won the Ray Guy Award. It is presented annually to the best punter in college football. He was even awarded the Texas Bowl MVP for his punting efforts against Missouri.

From Seattle Times
Dickson finished second in the NFL with a net average per punt of 44.4, and an overall punting average of 48.5 per kick and raised his career average to 47.57, the best in NFL history.

From a Hawk Site:
The Seahawks answered the big special-teams question of the offseason early by re-signing Myers to a four-year deal.
With Dickson under contract for three more years, the Seahawks are keeping one of the best kicking duos in the NFL the past four years under contract though 2025.

Tim Weaver January 12, 2023
Seahawks kicker Jason Myers has had a strong 2022 season, bouncing back from an off-year in 2021 when he only made 73.9% of his field goal attempts. This season he’s gone 34/37 – 91.9%. That gives him a great track record in two of the last three years – having led the NFL at 100% in 2020.
Myers isn’t flying under the radar, either. In fact, he’s getting some great recognition from his peers. We were expecting to see Justin Tucker get the nod, but Myers is the kicker and only Seattle player who made the All-Pro team as voted on by the players themselves.

Seattle Times
Myers had another standout year, hitting 34 of 37 field goals, including making all six from 50 and beyond to tie a team record, and 41 of 42 point-after attempts. He led the NFL in points scored with 143.

From John Boyle (Seahawks.com)
Longtime NFL writer and analyst Rick Gosselin, who is something of a special teams guru, has for years put together year end special teams rankings that take into account where teams rank in 22 different categories ranging from kick and punt returns to coverage to turnovers to penalties, and last season the Seahawks came in at No. 2 on Goesselin's ratings, their third straight season finishing in the Top 3 under special teams coordinator Larry Izzo.
DeeJay Dallas and Dee Eskridge handled the other kickoff returns this year and remain under contract for 2023. Dallas was the primary punt returner this year, though Lockett took a few.

Many of our Special Teams key players remain from last year and give us an edge in punt/kickoff coverage as well as the return game...getting us closer to the opponents Red Zone (inside 20 yd line) as our offense rushes onto the field with a strong starting position.
DJ Dallas/Dareke Young/Will Dissly/Colby Parkinson/Jon Rhattigan/Nick Bellore/Joey Blount remain from last year...we lost Travis Homer/Cody Barton/Josh Jones and Tony Muse. From our roster depth... Kenny McIntosh/Dee Eskridge/Vi Jones/Darrick Reed II seem likely replacements.

The one unanswered question left is at snapper

Penn State football's Chris Stoll named nation's top long snapper

Spencer Ripchik | The Daily Collegian Dec 10, 2022

Penn State didn't win the Heisman Trophy for the best player in college football, but Chris Stoll took home the nation's best long snapper award.

Nittany Lion redshirt-senior long snapper Stoll was named the recipient of the Patrick Mannelly award.

As a walk-on, Stoll played in 47 games for Penn State and was voted a team captain for the 2022 season. He was awarded a scholarship in 2020.

Last edited:

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Dickson has been really solid. His rugby abilities add a dynamic no other punter has ever shown. Add those to his tremendous core punting skills and we have ourselves a great talent at the position.

Hope rides the pine a lot this year.

OP
OP
H

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Not rugby. Australian football ("footy"). Rugby and Australian football are completely different sports.
Thank you...I was influenced by a single article I had found on the internet...always pays to take the time to fact check something you don't personally "know". I'm embarrassed but appreciate your correction.
Just finished applying the edit!

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Rugby vs Australian Football is similar to US vs Canadian football, There are some distinct differences, but not enough to be embarrassed about it. They are essentially kissing cousins.

OP
OP
H

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Rugby vs Australian Football is similar to US vs Canadian football, There are some distinct differences, but not enough to be embarrassed about it. They are essentially kissing cousins.

Thanks for some additional insight.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score

No! US vs Canadian football is almost the same sport; the differences are variations in rules.

Rugby and Australian football are entirely different sports. For starters, how points are scored is different. Read the article you posted. The differences between rugby and Australian football are, the shape of the field, the size of the field, the number of players, the shape of the ball, the size of the ball, the length of time, differences in tackling, running with the ball, the importance of kicking, and most importantly how you score points is entirely different.

Rugby vs Australian football is like comparing soccer to basketball.

How about actually watching both sports before forming an opinion? Watch 5 minutes of rugby followed by 5 minutes of Australian football and you will see they are not similar.

Edit to add: I have played both while living in Australia for several years as a teenager, I have watched more than a hundred live events of each, and I watch both on TV weekly during their seasons.

Last edited:

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I have watched both and they are quite similar.

to a small or large degree, all of the items you cited below are different between American and Canadian football as well.
the size of the field - Different
the number of players - Different
the size of the ball - Different
the length of time - Different
differences in tackling - Different
running with the ball - Different
the importance of kicking - Different
how you score points is entirely different - Different

Soccer to Basketball? Please...that take is moronic.

Attachments

• 1689608825292.png
    1689608825292.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I have watched both and they are quite similar. Many of the differences you state apply to US vs. Canadian football as well.

to a small or large degree, all of the items you cited below are different between American and Canadian football as well.
the size of the field - Different
the number of players - Different
the size of the ball - Different
the length of time - Different
differences in tackling - Different
running with the ball - Different
the importance of kicking - Different
how you score points is entirely different - Different

Soccer to Basketball? Please...that take is moronic.
Seriously, watch 5 minutes of rugby (league or union) and then 5 minutes of Australian football. You will realize almost instantly that your take is wrong. Take the time to actually watch the sports.

American and Canadian football are the same sport with subtle variations; someone who does not watch a lot of football would not be able to tell the difference. Rugby league and rugby union are the same sport with subtle variations; I could not tell the difference when I first started watching. I have no idea what other sport I could compare Australian football to; perhaps a weird combination of ultimate frisbee and soccer with rugby-style tackling. Inform yourself by watching, or better yet playing, rather than sitting in front of your keyboard quoting wikipedia.

And, in Canadian football, points are scored in the same way as American football and the scoring is the same; a safety is two points, a field goal is three points, a touchdown is six points, a kicked extra point is one point, and a conversion is two points (the single point for failing to return the ball out of the end zone is the only scoring difference that I am aware of).

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Seriously, watch 5 minutes of rugby (league or union) and then 5 minutes of Australian football. You will realize almost instantly that your take is wrong. Take the time to actually watch the sports.

American and Canadian football are the same sport with subtle variations; someone who does not watch a lot of football would not be able to tell the difference. Rugby league and rugby union are the same sport with subtle variations; I could not tell the difference when I first started watching. I have no idea what other sport I could compare Australian football to; perhaps a weird combination of ultimate frisbee and soccer with rugby-style tackling. Inform yourself by watching, or better yet playing, rather than sitting in front of your keyboard quoting wikipedia.

And, in Canadian football, points are scored in the same way as American football and the scoring is the same; a safety is two points, a field goal is three points, a touchdown is six points, a kicked extra point is one point, and a conversion is two points (the single point for failing to return the ball out of the end zone is the only scoring difference that I am aware of).
So, obviously you have played. So for you, the differences are clear...probably sourcing the emotion to your point.

For most non-rugby/Australian football players who have no desire to play the sport, which is 99.9% of the people in the US...the 2 are quite similar when you watch. Again, I have watched both.

My points stated stand and wiki's reference supports the fact that most of the differences you cited apply in some form to American/Canadian football, nullifying your point.

Mick063

Reaction score
Let's get this matter settled right now. A great punter HELPS your defense. There isn't a head coach in the professional or college ranks that would say otherwise.

The team gave up a ton of yards because they couldn't set the edge, couldn't disengage from blocks, and couldn't make open field tackles. None of which has anything to do with the punter.

OP
OP
H

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Let's get this matter settled right now. A great punter HELPS your defense. There isn't a head coach in the professional or college ranks that would say otherwise.
My own point (as my actual post) was to draw attention to the realization we have an excellent wealth of special teamers even though the thread "title" represents the "click bait" I intended since most people find special teams talk...boring. Maybe I should have put "just kidding" in bold? (will edit)

LeveeBreak

Reaction score

The team gave up a ton of yards because they couldn't set the edge, couldn't disengage from blocks, and couldn't make open field tackles. None of which has anything to do with the punter.

I think that was implied by the OP when they stated: All kidding aside...

With that being said, you are correct.

Last edited:

Mick063

Reaction score
My own point (as my actual post) was to draw attention to the realization we have an excellent wealth of special teamers even though the thread "title" represents the "click bait" I intended since most people find special teams talk...boring. Maybe I should have put "just kidding" in bold? (will edit)
I apologize. You have to understand that the last few years have shaken my confidence in people to comprehend at your intended level. I am almost certain that were probably a few that very likely did not. I always find myself overly compelled to jump into the fray when I encounter such things. It is an admitted fault of mine. I have been recently conditioned to it.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I apologize. You have to understand that the last few years have shaken my confidence in people to comprehend at your intended level. I am almost certain that were probably a few that very likely did not. I always find myself overly compelled to jump into the fray when I encounter such things. It is an admitted fault of mine. I have been recently conditioned to it.
Kudos to you. Textural communication has an interesting set of challenges...w/o body language, nuance and irony are easly missed. Owning it says a lot about your charachter.

OP
OP
H

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Appreciate your post. I realized you hadn't gotten the gist of my humored "bait" opening. You did share some reasons our defense didn't take advantage of too many Dickson's punts. Over use of a Bear Front can expose younger transitional defenders to being exploited :

PFF Publishing:
It is worth mentioning that one of the anticipated schematic issues of a Bear front is that it will be weak against gap runs, such as power and counter. The motivation behind this is that the down blocking offensive line has a better angle on the defensive linemen, thus causing better aggregate play results.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Dickson has been really solid. His rugby abilities add a dynamic no other punter has ever shown. Add those to his tremendous core punting skills and we have ourselves a great talent at the position.

Hope rides the pine a lot this year.
I think Pete shackles Dickson, he just wants high and in bound punts. The guy used to be doing coffin corners are trememdous distances. I don't think Pete Carroll appreciates what he has. Then again, I think he is a dinosaur with only half his brain still intact. I mean the part that is flexible and LEARNS new tricks. THAT is why YOUTH IS SERVED, experience works better as a D coordinator, or line coach.

sutz

Reaction score
Why resurrect this dinosaur of a post, which was BS from the start. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, and there are several Aussie Rules Football punters out there that are challenging Dickson for "best." He's still a top 5 punter, though. If anything, our D let him down.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Dickson needs to practice his corner kicking. Maybe it's me but I can't remember the last time he pinned someone behind the 5 yard line...?

Optimus25

Reaction score
I was a bit disappointed by his inability to pin Pitt in two opportunities Sunday.