What’s going on with Earl Thomas and Russell Wilson?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":2taj3ium said:
It sounds boring to say that we need a good draft because it's so obvious, but it's the sort of obvious point that everybody acknowledges but then immediately moves onto focusing on much less important things because they are more interesting.

But that's the thing, we need more than just one good draft, especially if we don't trade Earl.

Remember, we're talking SB caliber roster, and we saw first hand what that has to look like to win a SB. What you've line out is;

1. Hit on majority of picks (even though we have no 2nd and 3rd round picks to hit on, and if we trade back, we then also don't have a high 1st anymore either).

2. Scrap heap FA class this year to all of a sudden play way over their heads. Unlikely.

3. Multiple UFA's to also hit. Also highly unlikely.

Yes, we can get some of the depth and talent back on this roster with a high hit rate in this year's draft, and that can greatly improve if we can get a 2nd and 3rd for Earl.

THEN, and only then am I on board that IF we hit on 80% of our picks, and when I say "hit" I I mean rival that first draft class where 2-3 All Pro's are born. Again again, with JS and PC's track record the past 3-4 years? Wait for it...........................................unlikely.

You think this team can compete next year, and all you've done (while appreciated) is line out a perfect storm scenario. Just isn't happening in 2018, and probably not in 2019 either, because Pete and John compromised that draft as well.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2uy6f9lj said:
AgentDib":2uy6f9lj said:
It sounds boring to say that we need a good draft because it's so obvious, but it's the sort of obvious point that everybody acknowledges but then immediately moves onto focusing on much less important things because they are more interesting.

But that's the thing, we need more than just one good draft, especially if we don't trade Earl.

Remember, we're talking SB caliber roster, and we saw first hand what that has to look like to win a SB. What you've line out is;

1. Hit on majority of picks (even though we have no 2nd and 3rd round picks to hit on, and if we trade back, we then also don't have a high 1st anymore either).

2. Scrap heap FA class this year to all of a sudden play way over their heads. Unlikely.

Yes, we can get some of the depth and talent back on this roster with a high hit rate in this year's draft, and that can greatly improve if we can get a 2nd and 3rd for Earl.

THEN, and only then am I on board that IF we hit on 80% of our picks, and when I say "hit" I I mean rival that first draft class where 2-3 All Pro's are born. Again again, with JS and PC's track record the past 3-4 years? Wait for it...........................................unlikely.

You think this team can compete next year, and all you've done (while appreciated) is line out a perfect storm scenario. Just isn't happening in 2018, and probably not in 2019 either, because Pete and John compromised that draft as well.
Solid points. Still not on board with trading ET (don’t wish to rehash that :)) but I see where you are coming from after reading this, which is why I’m for trading a couple of other “defensive studs” if ET is traded.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1o0locts said:
AgentDib":1o0locts said:

I don't think we are as far away from Super Bowl contention as you think. With a roster plagued by injury, and distraction the Seahawks were still in the fray until the very end. We would have made the playoffs if our kicker was even mediocre. We lost some players, sure -- but I think we could let go of them due to the play we got out of our backups and rotational guys.

On the defensive line Clark, Reed, Jackson, Jones, and Jordan all looked solid during the season. Each of them came up with explosive plays at some point. Gap integrity was the huge problem here, and this is one of the reasons that I think Richard was shown the door. Richardson when asked about the Seahawks scheme vs. his old one with the NY Jets said that they just line up and kind of do whatever, where as in NY they stuck to their assignment. I don't think that individual play of any of our lineman was the issue here, I believe it was lack of discipline and poor scheming on Richards part. KJ, and Wagner are coming back, they are a solid duo, although we are in desperate need for somebody fill the other OLB role. In the secondary Griffin looked very, very good for a rookie. It was reminiscent of a young Sherman getting his first starts. I think this core, even without Thomas, Chancellor, Bennett, and Avril at least provides us with a top 15 defense.

Offense is where the magic is going to have to happen. I believe our defense is good enough, but this is where most of the gains are going to have to be made in order for us to be competitive. Everything is going to start and end with Russ if we want to have a chance this season.I really think that WR we picked up from the Cardinals was a good fit for our team. I think he could potentially replace Richardson's production. With Lockett, he has the skill set to be a full time slot receiver, but he needs to put those skills together and stay healthy. He has the potential to be a great role player for this offense, and chain mover. TE is the major question mark when it comes to receiving core. We don't really have a pass catching TE on this roster.

The line coming together is going to be the biggest question mark. They don't even need to play good, they just need to be mediocre and we have a chance. I think hiring Solari, and getting away from Tom Cables system was absolutely the right idea. I think that, in itself is going to make the same group of guys play better. The acquisition of Fluker will not improve our pass PRO that much, but it will make our line much better at opening up holes. The guy is a road grader. Fant coming back should improve our depth, and our rookie guard, Pocic has also put on a lot of weight and muscle. His main issue was being susceptible to the bull rush.

I think no matter what happens, our line will play better next year than they did this. Our run game is going to be better just by virtue of the addition of DJ Fluker. At least the left side of the line will have played together for a decent amount of time, and got a feel for each others tendencies (Brown, Procic, Britt). This leaves the last issue we have, and that is at running back. None of our running backs are durable, we need to add someone to the mix here. I'm convinced that the play here is going to be to go for a RB in the first round. I'm just feeling it. I think we're going to end up with Guice. If we do end up with him we will have a solid backfield. We also have the potential to get another immediate contributor by trading Thomas come draft day.

I don't think we are in the worst spot. We have a franchise QB, and one of the better WR's in the league in Doug Baldwin. If you have these two things, with some savvy moves a team can always be in contention.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2zt4rtan said:
I don't think we are as far away from Super Bowl contention as you think. With a roster plagued by injury, and distraction the Seahawks were still in the fray until the very end. We would have made the playoffs if our kicker was even mediocre. We lost some players, sure -- but I think we could let go of them due to the play we got out of our backups and rotational guys.

I think you're confusing being in contention to squeak into a wildcard spot at 10-6 instead of 9-7, and have a SB caliber roster getting to 14-2, 13-3 type record and securing the #1 seed........which we've found out this team needs to get to the SB.

HUGE difference.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong and you guys are right. But I see a horribly depleted roster that even if we draft well this year is light years away from the talent needed to get back to a SB.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2atopzjg said:
Spin Doctor":2atopzjg said:

I think you're confusing being in contention to squeak into a wildcard spot at 10-6 instead of 9-7, and have a SB caliber roster getting to 14-2, 13-3 type record and securing the #1 seed........which we've found out this team needs to get to the SB.

HUGE difference.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong and you guys are right. But I see a horribly depleted roster that even if we draft well this year is light years away from the talent needed to get back to a SB.

Somewhat agree except I think with 2 strong drafts and some better FA moves this team could be 2 years from getting back (not light years away after 1)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":e46i0zg6 said:
Sgt. Largent":e46i0zg6 said:
Spin Doctor":e46i0zg6 said:

HUGE difference.

Somewhat agree except I think with 2 strong drafts and some better FA moves this team could be 2 years from getting back (not light years away after 1)

I said this earlier in this thread, I think it's a 2-3 year plan. IF we hit on the draft, and IF we do better with UFA's, and IF we do better with free agency.

Others are arguing with me and seem to think we're all of a sudden going to stack this roster with SB talent in one year.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2pkmqug6 said:
Seymour":2pkmqug6 said:
Sgt. Largent":2pkmqug6 said:
Spin Doctor":2pkmqug6 said:

HUGE difference.

I said this earlier in this thread, I think it's a 2-3 year plan. IF we hit on the draft, and IF we do better with UFA's, and IF we do better with free agency.

Others are arguing with me and seem to think we're all of a sudden going to stack this roster with SB talent in one year.

I think drafting got better last year, but I don't quite see the reason for optimism to think it WILL happen. I do still have some reserved hope it CAN though. :2thumbs:

niveky

Reaction score
Isn't it likely that everything will be thrown out the window on draft day if no trade has materialized by then. Teams often like to play things very close to the vest, but once the draft starts falling in place and players start coming off the board left and right it seems like teams have a tendency to get to dealing pretty quickly for their guys.