What’s going on with Earl Thomas and Russell Wilson?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Click bait title. I expected better considering the source.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1j5brxz7 said:
EverydayImRusselin":1j5brxz7 said:
Sports Hernia":1j5brxz7 said:
IndyHawk":1j5brxz7 said:
Why is it dumb?
If your not going to win SB's with those two then it's time to get younger and healthy cap wise.
Why wait in 2-3 years when they are old and bring nothing but hell to the cap situation
and you cannot trade them for much if anything.
So using your logic you are good with trading Wagner and KJ too?
Both are expensive and their stock will never be higher right?

BTW cap space already opens up in 2019 and even more in 2020.

You either keep Russ and Earl (preferred IMHO) or you dump/trade all of your high priced talent.

Half assing rebuilds is how you get the 2003-2017 Seattle Mariners type teams that are stuck in mediocrity hell for a decade plus.

Crap or get off the pot when it comes to rebuilding.

Which team did Bobby or KJ ask to come and get them? Also, which of them called out team mates' performance? I love Earl, but if we are rebuilding as it seems, trade him and take the picks.
So you want to punish him because he hurt your feelings??? LOL, alrighty then.

My point is if you are going to rebuild, go ALL IN, get maximum number of picks, getting maximum cap space by getting rid of huge contracts, thusly severely reducing time of rebuild and making your team a super bowl contender sooner.

Half assing a rebuild will only lengthen the time the team will suck and not contend.
Like I said I’d rather keep Earl and Russ, but don’t want to see some half assed rebuild.

It's about the attitude, not my feelings. Like I said I love Earl. But disrespecting your teammates and showing he's not all in, combined with age and the fairly high likelihood he is walking after next season anyway, and I say trade him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Half ass rebuild?

I’m not sure there’s much left they can do outside of trading Wilson. Other than that, seems more of revolution of older players.

ET is one. Trading him just stays the line of the other moves.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1znrm3ij said:
Why is it dumb?
If your not going to win SB's with those two then it's time to get younger and healthy cap wise.
Why wait in 2-3 years when they are old and bring nothing but hell to the cap situation

So........... You think Russell Wilson will be "old" in two to three years? He wont even be thirty. And considering Brady was just named league mvp at forty........

original poster

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":2jienjm6 said:
IndyHawk":2jienjm6 said:
Why is it dumb?

So........... You think Russell Wilson will be "old" in two to three years? He wont even be thirty. And considering Brady was just named league mvp at forty........

Russ turns 30 this November.

toffee

Reaction score
original poster":3lnd5dta said:
Russ is going nowhere.

Earl is likely gone IMO.

I’m predicting Tampa trades for him, giving their 2nd this year + 5th this year and second next year.

I will take that. Earl isn’t someone any team should keep around to teach and mentor the youngsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2_0_6

Reaction score
As the days go on and the more rumors that are floated out on Twitter, it sounds like Tampa might be the team most interested. Their 1st round pick is untouchable, but their 2nd and 3rd rounders are in great spots. They need safety help, and have been tied to taking Derwin James at #7 who just so happens to have the same agent as Earl. Having an ET, James combo back there would be damn good.

I would be happy with this deal:

Tampa Gets:
Earl Thomas

Hawks get:
Tampas '18 second rounder (38), '18 third rounder (69th overall) and a '19 second rounder.

If this did go down, I would then slide money to Eric Reid and role a Reid McDouglad safety combo out next year.
:irishdrinkers:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1bdhsyrn said:
Half ass rebuild?

I’m not sure there’s much left they can do outside of trading Wilson. Other than that, seems more of revolution of older players.

ET is one. Trading him just stays the line of the other moves.
Trading Bobby, KJ, Baldwin etc etc...... not that it’s my first choice, just saying that if you trade Earl and Russ you might as well finish the job by getting a crap load of draft picks and cap space by getting rid of expensive talent.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3r7nhcvu said:
Sports Hernia":3r7nhcvu said:
EverydayImRusselin":3r7nhcvu said:
Sports Hernia":3r7nhcvu said:
So using your logic you are good with trading Wagner and KJ too?
Both are expensive and their stock will never be higher right?

BTW cap space already opens up in 2019 and even more in 2020.

You either keep Russ and Earl (preferred IMHO) or you dump/trade all of your high priced talent.

Half assing rebuilds is how you get the 2003-2017 Seattle Mariners type teams that are stuck in mediocrity hell for a decade plus.

Crap or get off the pot when it comes to rebuilding.

Which team did Bobby or KJ ask to come and get them? Also, which of them called out team mates' performance? I love Earl, but if we are rebuilding as it seems, trade him and take the picks.

My point is if you are going to rebuild, go ALL IN, get maximum number of picks, getting maximum cap space by getting rid of huge contracts, thusly severely reducing time of rebuild and making your team a super bowl contender sooner.

Half assing a rebuild will only lengthen the time the team will suck and not contend.
Like I said I’d rather keep Earl and Russ, but don’t want to see some half assed rebuild.

It's about the attitude, not my feelings. Like I said I love Earl. But disrespecting your teammates and showing he's not all in, combined with age and the fairly high likelihood he is walking after next season anyway, and I say trade him.
Has Earl never “brought it” on the field. If you read what he said, he said to *allas “when Seattle is done with me, come get me”. As much as I hate Jerruh’s kids, you/I have to remember that *allas is Earl’s hometown team. It would be no different than a player with northwest roots wanting to play for the Hawks before his career is the done, bad timing on Earls part but the statement isn’t as poisonous as some want it to be. Way too much butthurt over his statement IMHO.

toffee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2kps3yuo said:
EverydayImRusselin":2kps3yuo said:
Sports Hernia":2kps3yuo said:
EverydayImRusselin":2kps3yuo said:

Has Earl never “brought it” on the field. If you read what he said, he said to *allas “when Seattle is done with me, come get me”. As much as I hate Jerruh’s kids, you/I have to remember that *allas is Earl’s hometown team. It would be no different than a player with northwest roots wanting to play for the Hawks before his career is the done, bad timing on Earls part but the statement isn’t as poisonous as some want it to be. Way too much butthurt over his statement IMHO.

Ran into cowboys’ locker to showboat a statement like that? Why not have his agent called jerry? That’s what agents are for. Why not arrange dinner with cowboys’ front office that night? Running into cowboys locker room was a finger to the Hawks, was a statement, pure and simple.

After a tough win, Earl wasn’t interested in Pete’s post game talk, wasn’t interested in celebrating with teammates. Earl RAN into the wrong locker room to PIMP his service.

His act was as poisonous as it comes to destroying team unity and his coaches’ credibility as it comes.

I like it if he could be traded to Cleveland or one of the bottom dwellers.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
original poster":1mb9355a said:
Jimjones0384":1mb9355a said:
IndyHawk":1mb9355a said:
Why is it dumb?

Russ turns 30 this November.
If he didn't play the way he does 30 is nothing but no he sandlots
and bails all the time unscripted besides the planned runs,
He has taken many hits and been sacked many times more than say
the pocket QB's.This takes it's toll and leads to injuries.
He is a tough man but he is on borrowed time till he gets injured.
Once he does do you think he will run as always?I have to think
of him like a RB anyway so he will be getting slower like one does.
His style of play is just not good for long and I never want to see a
a slower RW in Seattle getting 35-40 million a year.The thought of
that happening makes me sick.This why I keep pushing for a trade
now.We are not likely going to a SB for a while anyway so lets get
the max value now and get ahead of the game before it's too late.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
toffee":3sfjsd32 said:
Sports Hernia":3sfjsd32 said:
EverydayImRusselin":3sfjsd32 said:
Sports Hernia":3sfjsd32 said:

Ran into cowboys’ locker to showboat a statement like that? Why not have his agent called jerry? That’s what agents are for. Why not arrange dinner with cowboys’ front office that night? Running into cowboys locker room was a finger to the Hawks, was a statement, pure and simple.

After a tough win, Earl wasn’t interested in Pete’s post game talk, wasn’t interested in celebrating with teammates. Earl RAN into the wrong locker room to PIMP his service.

His act was as poisonous as it comes to destroying team unity and his coaches’ credibility as it comes.

I disagree. Earl is an emotional player and his timing of this was Gawd awful.

So you want to punish him by sending him to Cleveland where he will still make multimillions Of dollars?
He already has a ring and Seattle is in rebuild mode, so losing here, in *allas, or Cleveland isn’t much different, and not the punishment you think it is. .....but hey, you’ll feel better, so you’ll have that going for you.

toffee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2yc7967g said:
toffee":2yc7967g said:
Sports Hernia":2yc7967g said:
EverydayImRusselin":2yc7967g said:

So you want to punish him by sending him to Cleveland where he will still make multimillions Of dollars?
He already has a ring and Seattle is in rebuild mode, so losing here, in *allas, or Cleveland isn’t much different, and not the punishment you think it is. .....but hey, you’ll feel better, so you’ll have that going for you.

Desperate teams are more likely to overpaid, bottom dwellers are more likely to be desperate. It’s a package deal.

Hawks can’t have earl on this team, we must trade him to wherever we can get the most return.

Really quite simple.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
toffee":3r1s306p said:
Sports Hernia":3r1s306p said:
toffee":3r1s306p said:
Sports Hernia":3r1s306p said:

Desperate teams are more likely to overpaid, bottom dwellers are more likely to be desperate. It’s a package deal.

Hawks can’t have earl on this team, we must trade him to wherever we can get the most return.

Really quite simple.

I respectfully disagree. I don’t think it’s that simple and I don’t think he is the cancer that you think he is.
Of course you “listen to offers”.... if you don’t get your price then you tell the other party no.

You don’t trade a guy because some fans had their feelings hurt.

original poster

Reaction score
2_0_6":n8ga9qvg said:
As the days go on and the more rumors that are floated out on Twitter, it sounds like Tampa might be the team most interested. Their 1st round pick is untouchable, but their 2nd and 3rd rounders are in great spots. They need safety help, and have been tied to taking Derwin James at #7 who just so happens to have the same agent as Earl. Having an ET, James combo back there would be damn good.

I would be happy with this deal:

Tampa Gets:
Earl Thomas

Hawks get:
Tampas '18 second rounder (38), '18 third rounder (69th overall) and a '19 second rounder.

If this did go down, I would then slide money to Eric Reid and role a Reid McDouglad safety combo out next year.
:irishdrinkers:

Tampa don't have a third this year unfortunately, that's why my proposed deal included the 2019 2nd which is very handy as we don't have a 2019 second currently.

toffee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":308o8lpn said:
toffee":308o8lpn said:
Sports Hernia":308o8lpn said:
toffee":308o8lpn said:

Really quite simple.

I respectfully disagree. I don’t think it’s that simple and I don’t think he is the cancer that you think he is.
Of course you “listen to offers”.... if you don’t get your price then you tell the other party no.

You don’t trade a guy because some fans had their feelings hurt.

I think in Earl’s case, it was the feelings of Paul and Pete were hurt.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I highly doubt Paul Allen's feelings are hurt by anything a player says or does, but thats about as speculative as any of this stuff about Earl being a team cancer.

AgentDib

Reaction score
"Rebuilding" in the NFL isn't like other sports where it takes many years. There's no farm talent to restock, the bulk of outstanding contacts are non-guaranteed, and hitting on one single draft can provide enough cheap talent playing below their market value to have a very competitive team. Just look at how teams rise and fall like yo-yos and you'll notice it's rare for a team to stay good (or bad) for long.

The reason to trade a player like Earl is because you think it will make you better in the near future. This is still possible without getting a player of the same talent in return if you get player(s) with equal or better value (rookies, prove it vets, etc.). It's plausible that we would have a better overall team in 2019 taking the $14m that Earl wants and spending it on improving several other areas. That's the argument for trading Earl, not some sort of baseball equivalent long-term rebuild where you ditch all the vets in exchange for adding to your farm system.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
toffee":17x7i97g said:
Sports Hernia":17x7i97g said:
EverydayImRusselin":17x7i97g said:
Sports Hernia":17x7i97g said:

You're just being melodramatic now.