Russell Wilson at his minimum salary of $1.21M?

Will you want Wilson back for $1.21mil?

• Yes

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • No

Votes: 98 80.3%

• Total voters

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Agree. He's not coming back. Also agree, I will be the loudest of his audience when he's inducted into the ring of honor. He was our qb when I got my one and only superbowl win as a Hawks fan and that to me means everything! I was born in 77 and can tell the difference in a fan of twenty years vs a fan of 40. The new generation of fans have had it too good. We suffered through heartache year after year after year and we still worship Largent, Kennedy etc. They weren't perfect but they were the inspiration we needed and the players we had. They showed up and played hard every single week, just like Russ did. He's a Hawk. I love him for being part of my life and for the SB he helped give us all. I love what he did for the franchise and will always feel positively toward him. Just my 2 cents.
You missed by one year of being an NFC Hawk baby.
Largent,Big Walt,Tez,Easley and Hutch were perfect btw.

Jville

Reaction score
Signing Wilson for the vet minimum makes TOO MUCH SENSE not to do it.

1A. Wilson knows the offense, and if he's going to be signing anywhere on a 1 year deal it would make sense to go somewhere he's likely to succeed as an audition for a new deal elsewhere.
1B.The Hawks get someone who knows the system and has been humbled enough to play within it. No more "let russ cook".

2. The Hawks already have to eat a huge dead cap hit when they release Adams, and there would be a cap hit for cutting Geno as well, but getting a starting QB replacement for $1.4M would save them enough money to not only absorb both of those cap hits but also go out and sign a decent FA to fill a hole.

Both sides would benefit greatly from such a deal. Russell would get to rehab his on-field and off-field reputation, and the Hawks would be gifted with a 1-year bonus to cancel out major dead cap hits. Both sides would be free to part ways after the season, with both having likely benefited.

The Flip Side might read ...........

Today's Russell Wilson is not the Russell Wilson we once cheered.

Why forfeit the work of the coaching staff by undoing the post Wilson offense? Fans are finally seeing some results from scheduling a segment of practice time to work on the screen game instead of Wilson's improvisation segment. That's had a growing positive impact on both the offense and defense.

Life is now more predictable for those with blocking assignments. Why risk assignment trust?

There are other entertainment stars emerging on the Seahawks roster. Emerging on both sides of the ball.

Choosing coaching staff and player investment and organization over Wilson makes sense. Apparently that is the conclusion Denver has come to as well.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I disagree, cheap out on the line because he's taking 45 sacks regardless
YES, that CHEAP OL formula WORKED to get the Hawks to two Super Bowls and win one! It was an ESSENTIAL part of the formula.
Props to rookies Michael Bowie and Alvin Bailey, and scrounging Breno Giacomini off the Packers Practice Squad, 3/5 of our SB 48 Champion starting OLine.
This was a key part of the roster construction and allowed the team to afford guys like Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, among others.

It could work again with a highly mobile rookie QB, or if we had signed Lamar Jackson. We should have signed Lamar, so as to not have to play against him. We'd be beating SF again too instead of being their prison bit.ch--er, doormat.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Good post.

There doesn't seem to be a strong relationship between players who played the game at a very high level and succeeded as a coach. Peyton Manning was a horrible mentor, admits it himself. Mike Singletary was a disaster. Take a look at the successful coaches, ie Reid, Holmgren, Carroll, Belichick, et al, and one common thread is that they were average to below average football players.

If I were looking for a coach or mentor, I'd automatically scratch anyone who has played in a Pro Bowl.
Um, NO. It's as much or more about the personality. Guys who started out as average but had to work their asses off to get to high level play make good coaches. They're just a different case of unathletic guys who started out as way below average and had to work their asses off to ever see the field, and then only when the first and 2nd stringers got injured or suspended.

I'd take Tom Brady as a QB coach (and eventually Head Coach) any day of the week. Washed-up Richard Sherman seemed to be a good mentor to 49ers DBs by most accounts. IIRC KJ Wright made a pro bowl and I'd bet on him if he decided to go into coaching, Cliff Avril too. Deon Sanders has had some success and will probably have some more after getting past current challenges. I think guys like Maxx Crosby and the Watt brothers could be successful after their playing career is done. But yeah, there's such a way-bigger-pool of athletically challenged Pete Carrolls, Kyle Shanahans (Kyle was WR at Texas, 14 catches in his career) and Bill Belichicks (Center and TE at a small college) and lots of them go into coaching.

I do agree there are plenty of elite players who failed as coaches, Mike Singletary being one poster child. I'd bet guys like Michael Irvin, Keyshawn Johnson, Vince Young, and Jeff George would suck as coaches.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
😅. That's just funny right there. You had me laughing so hard I forgot what count I was on, on my high knees! Jk, truly that was a good reply. Respect.
That is one of the best responses ever! Now get back to work, those dozen bathrooms aren't going to inspect themselves! And don't you have some red carpet event to buy wardrobe for, to go as Ciara's fashion accessory?

ccla

Reaction score
Signing Wilson for the vet minimum makes TOO MUCH SENSE not to do it.

1A. Wilson knows the offense, and if he's going to be signing anywhere on a 1 year deal it would make sense to go somewhere he's likely to succeed as an audition for a new deal elsewhere.
1B.The Hawks get someone who knows the system and has been humbled enough to play within it. No more "let russ cook".

2. The Hawks already have to eat a huge dead cap hit when they release Adams, and there would be a cap hit for cutting Geno as well, but getting a starting QB replacement for $1.4M would save them enough money to not only absorb both of those cap hits but also go out and sign a decent FA to fill a hole.

Both sides would benefit greatly from such a deal. Russell would get to rehab his on-field and off-field reputation, and the Hawks would be gifted with a 1-year bonus to cancel out major dead cap hits. Both sides would be free to part ways after the season, with both having likely benefited.
I like some of that stuff you are smoking!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
The biggest obstacles for Wilson's next employment opportunity might came from his former coaches, his 5 OCs, and 3 HC in NFL, plus his HC in North Carolina State. Those gentlemen might not have much good words about Wilson. So far, he pissed off a player friendly coach in Carroll, lol, tried to get Carroll fired. He or his plays got Hackett fired, and he certainly does not enjoy any success or good relationship with Payton.