DK on penalties: 'Not going to change who I am'

RiverDog

Reaction score
DK is a frustrated, immature young man who wants to win games and feels his skillset is not being utilized to anywhere near its' potential. Hard to disagree.

He gives PC a huge coaching challenge. Based on past experience, I do not think PC is up to the challenge and it might be best to move on and let him succeed elsewhere.

Demonizing him and calling him trash is, similarly, born of frustration and immaturity. I believe he is a good young man who will change his behavior once he understands how small it makes him appear.
I wouldn't make the assumption that Metcalf is a man that wants to win games, at least not as his top priority. He certainly doesn't have team goals in mind when he pushes a player long after the whistle blows, knowing that he could easily draw a 15-yard penalty and knowing that it would hurt his team, but he does it anyway. IMO if his emotions are such that they trump any desire he has to win, then the team winning isn't that important to him.

I agree with you about the likelihood of Pete being up to the challenge to tame Metcalf.

Welshers2

Reaction score
I’d hate to see DK traded.

But…I’d love the two first rounders we’d get!
I would totally trade him for two firsts. We need trade up ammo to get a qb.
NGL…my son would be devastated but…I’d take two firsts in a heartbeat.
You guys I like dk and I'd be overjoyed to get two first for him but....

There is no team in the nfl that is going to trade 2 firsts for dk Metcalf on his current contract. No chance. I'm not sure if they could get one first

Natethegreat

Reaction score

There is no team in the nfl that is going to trade 2 firsts for dk Metcalf on his current contract. No chance. I'm not sure if they could get one first
Seahawks gave up more than 2 firsts for a guy throwing temper tantrums and wanting his bag.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
DK forgot that there are two ways to get his revenge, a by hitting back, an eye for an eye. b by having a 200 yards and multiple TD game.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
You guys may get your wish..DK a gametime decision on Sunday. Bobo could go off for 300 yds 20 receptions and 5tds...

toffee

Reaction score
You guys may get your wish..DK a gametime decision on Sunday. Bobo could go off for 300 yds 20 receptions and 5tds...
Super unlikely, unless Bobo suddenly caught some chi from Angry Doug, Drew Pearson, and Wes Walker.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Look I hate penalties as much as the next guy, but I LOVE having a guy with that kind of anger and physicality out there. I'll happily give up a penalty a game for the impact that has on the wider team and opponents.

In the end we got a first down the next play so who cares, in fact that gets in the defenders heads even MORE
The funny but sad part is if DK was on the other end getting rag dolled people would still want his head on a pike for a lack of effort.

Bro is playing with a bad hip and probably some broken ribs yet we are just talking about the negative shit.

Wheetie

Reaction score
The funny but sad part is if DK was on the other end getting rag dolled people would still want his head on a pike for a lack of effort.

Bro is playing with a bad hip and probably some broken ribs yet we are just talking about the negative shit
Got it. So any player playing through injury gets a pass to commit selfish, team hurting penalties just to offset their inconvenience of playing hurt. I thought 72 million dollars would be enough to play through being hurt...for the benefit of your teammates, the fans, and your employer who's paying all that cash.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Yeah okay but DK is his own person, not a slave to your sensibility and entertainment.

Yeah okay but it’s football, you think DK is the first player to make “bone-headed” decisions or even string ‘em together into a reputation. If so, then you are mistaken because y’all can want them to get rid of DK all you want, probability is someone else just gonna take the place of all your ire.

But ask yourself how many BAMF are out there that can chase down a pick-6 with a player that had at least a 20 yard head start?

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I personally support DK's comments and appreciate the "toughness" he brings to the team.

You might disagree...but, maybe later in the season, if the defensive player on the other team has an "anticipation" of of some tough play from DK, there might be a penalty that will "go our way". We might see some penalties against the other teams, where the defensive players are anticipating problems from DK and play with more "emotion" than usual.

Maybe DK and Pete are "baiting the league"...

rcaido

Reaction score
A 5 year old is expected to control his tantrums. Should have been addressed before he got paid. Now he's making 25million a year, i dont think he will listen to anyone, nor will he ever need to mature.

Pete: hey son, I'm really disappointed in that penalty.
DK: but dad I was wide open, you saw that right. I was wide open all day
Pete: I understand your frustration but you can't hurt the team. Geno can be Geno at times.
DK: I'm sorry dad, it won't happen again
Pete: it's ok let me buy you some candy
DK: Thanks dad! You're the best

renofox

Reaction score
A 5 year old is expected to control his tantrums. Should have been addressed before he got paid. Now he's making 25million a year, i dont think he will listen to anyone, nor will he ever need to mature.

Pete: I understand your frustration but you can't hurt the team. Geno can be Geno at times.
You must be old, like me. Personal responsibility isn't a thing anymore. Adults are now expected to throw tantrums when somebody doesn't agree with them or when they don't get their way.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Good look'in guy, playing what I think is the most popular sport in America and making alot of money. Let's just sit back and watch him become great. He's 25 years old for God sakes !

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Like I tried to tell ya guys in the last DK thread.

Pete's culture is to let guys be themselves. It would've been handled years ago if Pete wanted it to stop.

Pete can fix it with a simple benching every time he gets a 15 yarder, fix'd.
Looks like the benching has started..Estop is up from PS

scutterhawk

Reaction score

Yeah, reach much?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score

Man, do you really have any room to talk about DK like this when you disregard most of the negative drama and accountability with Russ’s tenure.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

I don't think you looked at Metcalf's contract before asserting this.

Trading Metcalf this season would be stupid for the Seahawks, at least in part because of the huge dead-money hit. It would be $11.5M this year, and then another $23M next year, all for an empty space on the roster and an opportunity for Metcalf to play cheap for another team. This is what takes the shrieks of "trade DK" from the Chicken Littles from a mere overreaction to a complete absurdity.

Anyway, getting back to Metcalf and his contract, for an acquiring team, getting Metcalf on his current contract would be a spectacularly great deal, one at which any GM would jump. Metcalf's salary is $2.2M for this season, and he's already been paid for six of 18 weeks, so a team would owe him at most $1.46M for the rest of this season ($122K per game). Since he hasn't been traded and we're already in the weekend, I think we can count this week's game as being with the Seahawks too, so it'd really be at most $1.34M for an acquiring team for the rest of this season.

As of right now, Metcalf has zero guaranteed salary for 2024 and 2025. If he's on a team's roster as of the fifth day after the start of the 2024 waiver period, his 2024 salary of $13M becomes fully guaranteed. That's not as absurdly cheap as what Metcalf would cost a team in 2023, but it's pretty damn cheap for a receiver as good as he is.
Metcalf's $18,000,471 (kept all the digits 'cause it's a funny number) 2025 salary only becomes fully guaranteed when the 2025 season starts, and that's only because all vested veterans' contracts become fully guaranteed for the whole season when the season starts.

Summarizing, Metcalf's contract does make a deal unlikely, but it makes it unlikely because dealing Metcalf now would be a disaster for the Seahawks, not because it would be costly or risky for the acquiring team. On the contrary, the total risk would be $122K times the number of weeks remaining in the 2023 regular season at the time of the trade, and that would also be the total guaranteed cost for the acquiring team.

toffee

Reaction score

DK clearly misses his mentor, he needs to play with Russell Wilson, too bad Broncos has very limited picks in 2024 and 2025. Otherwise, DK + 2024 4th rounder for Jeudy + 2024 1st and 2025 2rd.