Russell Wilson at his minimum salary of $1.21M?

Will you want Wilson back for $1.21mil?

• Yes

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • No

Votes: 98 80.3%

• Total voters

keasley45

Reaction score
$1.21mil came from a post on Broncos forum, if it is true, would you take him back at 1.21 mil to mentor our next franchise QB? If the Broncos outright release Wilson, they are still in the book to pay him, aren't they? Teams can just sign him at vet min and let Broncos carry the big money, can't they?

What is he going to mentor him in exactly. He lost his job because of his inability to execute basic football concepts at a level his coach needed him to.

Russ has always been the improv musician who could dazzle with his improvized, off the cuff solo, but couldn't read sheet music to save his life. If you are trying to teach a kid how to read music and perform, you don't get that guy.

And Russ burned every imaginable bridge here. No way you bring him back. Our offense woukd rely entirely on him playing sandlot magic again. And that magic is gone.

themunn

Reaction score
At vet minimum of 1.2m yes of course I'd take him and any team would be stupid to turn down that offer. There are 50 QBs with a larger cap hit than that next year, and some (Watson, Prescott) currently have $60m+ cap hits for next year.

Comparitively you could use that cap space to add Chris Jones and Josh Allen (who are both FAs next year) at edge. Wilson is still a starter quality QB so if you can get that at $1.2m then you take it

Boohman14

Reaction score
What is he going to mentor him in exactly. He lost his job because of his inability to execute basic football concepts at a level his coach needed him to.

Russ has always been the improv musician who could dazzle with his improvized, off the cuff solo, but couldn't read sheet music to save his life. If you are trying to teach a kid how to read music and perform, you don't get that guy.

And Russ burned every imaginable bridge here. No way you bring him back. Our offense woukd rely entirely on him playing sandlot magic again. And that magic is gone.
Once Doug Baldwin retired Russ declined. Plus it turns out the O-line excuses were due to Russ holding the ball too long and his failure to work from the pocket. He dropped back too far making the LT and RT have to work on "an island"against more athletic DEs.

-Pete-

Reaction score
His legs aren't what they were, but I'd argue he's a better passer, decision-maker (on the field), and defense-reader than what we've got now. He's used to scrambling behind a mediocre O-Line and is fairly durable. My guess, which is worth what you paid for it, is he's humbled, so maybe there's a reset. Pete knows him as well as anyone, so if whatever potential locker-room/front office drama can be set aside, I'd take him for that money in a heartbeat.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
$1.21mil came from a post on Broncos forum, if it is true, would you take him back at 1.21 mil to mentor our next franchise QB? If the Broncos outright release Wilson, they are still in the book to pay him, aren't they? Teams can just sign him at vet min and let Broncos carry the big money, can't they?

Jac

Reaction score
I'd like an organizational reset...so Wilson doesn't really fit into that. Plus, I'm not a big fan of Geno's inconsistency but, at this point, he's as good or better than Wilson.

RiverDog

Reaction score

Good post.

There doesn't seem to be a strong relationship between players who played the game at a very high level and succeeded as a coach. Peyton Manning was a horrible mentor, admits it himself. Mike Singletary was a disaster. Take a look at the successful coaches, ie Reid, Holmgren, Carroll, Belichick, et al, and one common thread is that they were average to below average football players.

If I were looking for a coach or mentor, I'd automatically scratch anyone who has played in a Pro Bowl.

NoGain

Reaction score

Russ has always been the improv musician who could dazzle with his improvised, off the cuff solo, but couldn't read sheet music to save his life. If you are trying to teach a kid how to read music and perform, you don't get that guy.
Yup. In a nutshell.

Msfann

Reaction score
He made it work for a long time but the skills he has you don't want to teach to a young qb. You want the young guys to play like rodgers and Brady not Wilson.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Good post.

There doesn't seem to be a strong relationship between players who played the game at a very high level and succeeded as a coach. Peyton Manning was a horrible mentor, admits it himself. Mike Singletary was a disaster. Take a look at the successful coaches, ie Reid, Holmgren, Carroll, Belichick, et al, and one common thread is that they were average to below average football players.

If I were looking for a coach or mentor, I'd automatically scratch anyone who has played in a Pro Bowl.
Lawrence Taylor said the same thing when asked why he's not a coach. I'm paraphrasing but he said something to the effect that talented players typically don't know how to coach because they never needed it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Lawrence Taylor said the same thing when asked why he's not a coach. I'm paraphrasing but he said something to the effect that talented players typically don't know how to coach because they never needed it.
I've also heard it said that highly successful players have much less patience and understanding of the struggles of those who are not as gifted as they are, that they can't identify with the average player so as to coach them up.