We AREN'T what our record says we are...

D

DomeHawk

morgulon1":24hj07dz said:
Scorpion05":24hj07dz said:
For this argument to be valid, you have to apply the EXACT same logic to other teams around the league

OK . Im trying to understand what you mean. I havent paid close attention to the other teams but for example:

LA Rams missed a field goal that Zurlein hits 85% of the time and we win.

SF plays LA and throttles them merciless

Same thing with Cleveland. SF kicks their ass . We were lucky to win that game ( bad calls helped us for once)

Just because other teams have been lucky doesn't deflate the argument. We have won at least two games by pure luck and I would argue that we probably have been the most fortunate team in the league in that respect.

And, that isn't to say that we haven't done some good things also.

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
calinator":cjrjpuz0 said:
Pass Rush for sure. Secondary isn't very important if the QB is pressured. The team has made mistakes all year, they could easily be 4-3 but if not so undisciplined could also be 7-0. Just way too many mistakes against the Saints and Ravens.

I don't look at this team and think if they play a good-great team they have no chance of winning. They have enough weapons on offense to keep any game close against anyone. Defense is bad though. I'm starting to think it's on Norton. The talent and personnel is good but am not seeing good scheming.

Thank you. This is an excellent response to my original post. For discussion sake my point is I dont think were as good as what our record is. I don't think were bad , I think were somewhere a little above average until our defense improves.

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
Hawkpower":gjkgiong said:
TheLegendOfBoom":gjkgiong said:
Ehhh...it’s alright.

I never had this team winning more than 10 games anyways. I can see Seattle losing at least 4 more games.

Seattle is just not a complete team.

There are obvious flaws on the players and obvious flaws on the coaching side.

Before you say where? Offensive line is inconsistent. Defensive line gets contained. Coaching, mismanagement of time and creating schemes to put players in better positions to succeed.

Seattle is no better than a 10-6 team.

San Fran, New Orleans, Green Bay, are all better than Seattle.

Those teams are 12 or 13 win teams. You can see a noticeable difference.

Seattle will be lucky to get a wild-card spot.

Hasn't this been the general consensus by just everyone all year?

I think 10-6/11-5 and a wild card is pretty much the top end of what we all predicted.

Are we supposed to be disappointed by this revelation? I think we would all take a playoff spot again this year wherever it is. Everyone knows the team has flaws. Just get to the playoffs and with Russ, anything can happen

Agreed

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3gww32zp said:
You could literally play this what-if game every season, including the season the Hawks won the Super Bowl.

But that year we curb stomped teams to go along with a couple of lucky games. :D

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hawkpower":h9ace6iw said:
TheLegendOfBoom":h9ace6iw said:
Ehhh...it’s alright.

I never had this team winning more than 10 games anyways. I can see Seattle losing at least 4 more games.

Seattle is just not a complete team.

There are obvious flaws on the players and obvious flaws on the coaching side.

Before you say where? Offensive line is inconsistent. Defensive line gets contained. Coaching, mismanagement of time and creating schemes to put players in better positions to succeed.

Seattle is no better than a 10-6 team.

San Fran, New Orleans, Green Bay, are all better than Seattle.

Those teams are 12 or 13 win teams. You can see a noticeable difference.

Seattle will be lucky to get a wild-card spot.

Hasn't this been the general consensus by just everyone all year?

I think 10-6/11-5 and a wild card is pretty much the top end of what we all predicted.

Are we supposed to be disappointed by this revelation? I think we would all take a playoff spot again this year wherever it is. Everyone knows the team has flaws. Just get to the playoffs and with Russ, anything can happen

Agreed.

I’m not disappointed in this loss.

Seattle can’t get lucky every game, no matter if it was blown ref calls or the ball bounces in a favorable direction.

Eventually, it’ll catch up to you and you’ll only win the games you are supposed to win with the level of talent you have. All other times, the team your playing, which will be the superior team will win.

10-6 is still a winning year. And if you can somehow get to playoffs (even if you lose) it’ll be a solid year.

It’s just not our year (most likely).

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Our SuperBowl year we literally had a thread on here explaining how winning by large margins matter because close wins even out. Eventually, those close wins are losses, because the lucky bounces start bouncing the other way.

Everyone was on board the theory then, but now the close wins show great ability to deal with adversity?

Great teams beat teams by a lot and when they lose, they lose by a little.

Middling teams win by a few and lose by a few.

Those missed kicks we won with, start getting made over time. Luck tends to even out. Eventually, all those TDs with no INT turn into a few INTs. The coin eventually lands Tails after all the times landing Heads.

Things regress to the mean.

We won games because other teams missed a few and because we faced 2nd & 3rd string Qbs. Now those breaks are over. The Ravens aren't even that good. Just better than us.

Subzero717

Reaction score
You are what your record is BUT we are also an easy FG miss and a Rothlesberger injury away from being a half game behind the Cards.

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
LTH":avmfp5y5 said:
morgulon1":avmfp5y5 said:
Hawkpower":avmfp5y5 said:
morgulon1":avmfp5y5 said:
This has been a puzzling Seahawks season for me.

Yes I know that we are now 5-2 and not to far back in our division. I bet there are a lot of other fans out there that
wish they could say this. I like many of you have suffered some very poor seasons in the past. Maybe we're a little spoiled at this point. I'll admit this.

But I have to say that were about as weak of a 5-2 team as I have ever seen. A paper tiger.

When you win 4 NFL games by a total of 8 points , you can't think that you're an upper level team in this league. Seattle
could easily be 2-5 or worse. In our "wins" there have been long stretches where we got slapped around. Pushed all
over the field on defense and on offense , I don't think our line is better. Russell Wilson runs for his life almost every time he drops back. Receivers that drop a lot of passes , horrible penalties at the worst possible time.

On the bright side , if you take away the pick 6 and #14's fumble recovery that got returned for a td ... Hey it was a pretty
close game. Seattle decided to make similar mistakes to New Orleans and their backup qb . Look what happened there.
Top notch teams don't do this. I hope that this team gels and improves on both sides of the ball or the second half of the season is going to be bleak.

I have a question for all of you. Name ONE and only one thing that Seattle has to improve moving foward to improve.

My one thing would be the pass rush. We let Frank Clark go assuming that we didn't want to pay him and brought in
Ansah and Clowney. Clark has more sacks than Ansah and Clowney combined.

In the NFL, you always are what your record says you are.

They will be 7-2 in a few weeks. Then they will need to find a way to win 3-4 of their final 7.

Do you think this team can hang with San Fransisco right now? We were a shanked FG away from losing to Los Angeles. If Roethlessberger doesnt get hurt we lose that game. The backup almost beat us.

It doesn't matter if this team can hang with SF right now or not...It's irrelevant.... to many things can happen by the time the Hawks play them...

I disagree .We play them in three weeks .

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score
Subzero717":37wlhsuu said:
You are what your record is BUT we are also an easy FG miss and a Rothlesberger injury away from being a half game behind the Cards.

You got it

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2i8und2m said:
Our SuperBowl year we literally had a thread on here explaining how winning by large margins matter because close wins even out. Eventually, those close wins are losses, because the lucky bounces start bouncing the other way.

Everyone was on board the theory then, but now the close wins show great ability to deal with adversity?

Great teams beat teams by a lot and when they lose, they lose by a little.

Middling teams win by a few and lose by a few.

Those missed kicks we won with, start getting made over time. Luck tends to even out. Eventually, all those TDs with no INT turn into a few INTs. The coin eventually lands Tails after all the times landing Heads.

Things regress to the mean.

We won games because other teams missed a few and because we faced 2nd & 3rd string Qbs. Now those breaks are over. The Ravens aren't even that good. Just better than us.
Preach! Agreed.

I absolutely hate how we don’t blow teams out.

But that’s what separates the great teams from the good teams.

Seattle is a good team but it’s not a great team.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Subzero717":27sz1j4l said:

Rothlesberger was trash in that game, as he had been the week before. Seattle wins either way.

"the missed FG away from" argument is used by all fans of all teams every year.

We are 5-2 on our way to 7-2 on our way to 11-5/10-6 ish and a possible wild card. Same as it ever was. Not sure why people are all of a sudden thinking 7-9 is on its way now :roll:

Have we not watched Seahawk football for the last few years?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
This team is capable of beating anyone in the league. One different choice by Russ and DK securing the ball, and we win this game. The defense crushed a dynamic offense. No need to overreact.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":phekh251 said:
This team is capable of beating anyone in the league. One different choice by Russ and DK securing the ball, and we win this game. The defense crushed a dynamic offense. No need to overreact.

Sadly, I think we are also capable of losing to anyone in the league.

kf3339

Reaction score
We have a 4 game stretch after the bye week that will tell us "Exactly" who we are as a team.

I pretty much expect to be at 7-3 at the bye week. So those 4 games will either vault us to the top, knock us down into barely a wild card spot, or not even make it into the playoffs.

Today in some ways was a tell of what this team is if we don't hit on all cylinders.

justafan

Reaction score
I think what most people see from teams around the nation are highlights. So every team looks amazing or extremely lousy. That was really the first chance i got to watch the Ravens. That team today doesnt lose to the Browns. Its like that for every team. They all have talent and all can lose to any other team, what separates them on game day is the big plays and stupid mistakes.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3ss7gq0j said:
Subzero717":3ss7gq0j said:

Rothlesberger was trash in that game, as he had been the week before. Seattle wins either way.

"the missed FG away from" argument is used by all fans of all teams every year.

We are 5-2 on our way to 7-2 on our way to 11-5/10-6 ish and a possible wild card. Same as it ever was. Not sure why people are all of a sudden thinking 7-9 is on its way now :roll:

Have we not watched Seahawk football for the last few years?

I never said 7-9 but all the same mistakes we made today we have made all season. We have just lucked out. Wether or not we do or dont lose to Pitt, we slept walk through Cleveland as well. Saying we will be 10-6 or 11-5 is missing the exact point. We cant assume we are just going to win because. I woukd have assumed we would have won 2 home games. 1 against a back up and the other against a running QB but we didnt.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Subzero717":vte2rqfl said:

Sure, but we were also a fumble(Panthers), pick six(Texans), sherman pick(Titans), and a 71yrd punt return from Tate(Buds) away from not even making the playoffs in 2013.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
JGreen79":187vn2kt said:
Subzero717":187vn2kt said:

Sure, but we were also a fumble(Panthers), pick six(Texans), sherman pick(Titans), and a 71yrd punt return from Tate(Buds) away from not even making the playoffs in 2013.

Crap. Does this mean we didn't win the Superb Owl that year?

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Seanhawk":14qs2683 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":14qs2683 said:

Sadly, I think we are also capable of losing to anyone in the league.

Except for the Packers, 49ers and Patriots, that's true for every other team this year. It means we're not a SB team yet.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2yysjlac said:
Subzero717":2yysjlac said:

Rothlesberger was trash in that game, as he had been the week before. Seattle wins either way
This. Seahawks are a better team than the stealers, rapistberger or not.