Waldron to the Bears….

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I don't get the "Pete limited the coordinators" argument at all, it seems like people trying to push a perceived narrative even though the facts don't seem to fit.

For long stretches this season Waldron seemed to completely forget we had a running game and would throw the ball sometimes for full quarters at a time causing quick 3-and-outs. Considering PC's stated philosophy there's no chance this would happen if Waldron was being overruled by Pete, as Pete would bring us heavily back to the run - which occasionally he did (most notably in the Let Russ Cook season when Wilson started dealing INTs), but these examples seem more the exception than the rule.

Same with the DC. There was so much talk on here that Desai ran to Philly to escape PC's stranglehold on the DEF, but he immediately flamed out with the Eagles - a team loaded with talent.

Looking over the last few years I think the issue was the other way around, I think PC gave too much free-reign to below-par coordinators (which he hired, and he has to take responsibility for that). Hurtt's D was awful despite have some good talent, and Waldron showed some flashes he should have achieved far more with he talent we have on O.

I guess we'll never know, but I'd like to know the reason Geno ran far less this year. Geno is a baller on play-action, but too often this season he was put in a position that wasn't to his strengths.

It'll be interesting to see how Waldron does in Chicago. It could go either way, but I'm thinking he may have benefitted from simply being around McVay at a time when everything McVay touched turned to gold.

I hope he does well, he seems like a good guy and there were some great drives this season, but I'm not sure why he went through long periods of forgetting that RBs and TEs exist, and he never seemed to have a good overall 'feel' of a game from what I saw.

Mick063

Reaction score
Waldron wasn't a trendsetter because he used three tight end sets. He was a trendsetter because he identified the strength of his offensive pieces and figured out a way to get all three tight ends involved. Probably at the direction and counsel of Pete Carroll.

I think Waldron is a fantastic offensive mind. So, apparently, do some front offices around the league. The Seahawks aren't getting many requests to interview the defensive coordinator. There is a reason for that. Waldron will be a head coach someday. Partially because he was mentored by Pete Carroll and understands positive culture, but mostly because he has an innovative offensive mind. Hate to see him go in a lateral move, but he creates his own opportunities from merit.

ViktorNix

Reaction score
Good for Shane, Pete's hamstrung pretty much all of his coordinators. So here's to Waldron getting out from under Pete's thumb and being successful in Chicago.
I feel like Waldron, and all of our OCs really, have been hampered by Pete’s preferences…like staying away from the middle of the field, long developing deep shots etc. Otll be interesting to see what Shane can do without the restrictions. I’ll be rooting for him

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I feel like Waldron, and all of our OCs really, have been hampered by Pete’s preferences…like staying away from the middle of the field, long developing deep shots etc. Otll be interesting to see what Shane can do without the restrictions. I’ll be rooting for him
I keep reading this, but what different would you expect? Poles/Eberflus want a McVay run-oriented offense with 45% running plays and 55% passing.

ViktorNix

Reaction score
I keep reading this, but what different would you expect? Poles/Eberflus want a McVay run-oriented offense with 45% running plays and 55% passing.
Pete has always had his influence on the offense more so than I would say most head coaches. That’s why the offense has always been pretty similar no matter the coordinator here. It’ll be cool to see what I hope is an untethered Waldron calling plays. And on the other side of the coin, what our offense will end up looking like with out Pete influence

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
In some ways, Eberflus is not that different from Pete. Flus likes to run the ball and play defense. With Williams coming in, there might be a little more passing. We won’t really know until we see it.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Have fun living with Waldron's red zone offense - where TDs are nowhere to be found.
You nailed it. That’s been my only big complaint I wonder if he’s under orders from Pete to pound it off tackle with Walker on first and goal from 8 yard line. That was about as predictable as sunrise.

Jville

Reaction score
Shane Waldron bolted rather quickly.

Looks like he wants to bring assistants along with him .....

Jville

Reaction score
Weird that Andy Dickerson's name is not on that list

Cincinnati Bengals are interviewed Andy for Offensive Coordinator opening today 1/24/2024.

The Cleveland Browns interviewed Andy for Offensive Coordinator opening earlier.

Not a surprise.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Sanjay Lal. Interviewed with Bears today 1/24/2024.

Sanjay and Shane seemed to be on the same page. Worked well together.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Really not liking that all of our offensive coaches are leaving. Wish it was the defensive side.

bileever

Reaction score
Really not liking that all of our offensive coaches are leaving. Wish it was the defensive side.
But who would hire them? I'm sure there hasn't been any requests to interview Clint Hurtt for a DC position. He might get a defensive line assistant position.