Some Waldron Appreciation

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I just wanted to give a little credit to our much-maligned (mostly rightly) OC, Shane Waldron for last night's game.

Yes, I was still infuriated that 2nd and anything is pretty much always a run play. (That kind of predictability is so frustrating).

But I thought overall he did a good job designing plays around a backup QB who doesn't have a lot of first team reps. He clearly was protecting him and designing one-read shots that could be dialed up quick and then created those 'false' progression routes that really fooled the defense pretty much every time we dialed one up. And he allowed the run-game to develop even though it struggled at the start of the game.

There are always a few things that can be critiqued, but for a guy who I think has struggled this year, last night was a bright spot, IMO.

cymatica

Reaction score
What? Last night was pretty bad against an Eagles team that's been bad on defense all year. Once again he completely forgot about the heavy TE formations and misdirection that have worked all year. Had a drive in the 2nd half that featured that and they looked like a top 5 offense, then he completely clammed up and went WR heavy again and they looked flat.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I've been pretty critical of Waldron. He didn't call a bad game last night. He didn't abandon the run. And he gets some credit for the JSN TD. He told Drew that if it's a single high safety look, JSN will be one on one for the TD. That was a heads up play right there.

mistaowen

Reaction score
The TD drive with Walker running highlighted some actual creativity in the run game and kudos to him for sticking with it (finally). I've been fairly critical of those multiple TE in the backfield sets because it just felt like they added nothing - there was no motion or creativity from them. Last night they actually used some misdirection and guard pulls from it, was awesome to see. Walker added some flair to the runs in the open field as he can do. The best offenses in the NFL enforce their will through the run game, K9 needs to get the ball here down the stretch.

Overall though, felt like he had some serious training wheels on Drew and the offense overall. Coming out of halftime Pete sounded frustrated that they weren't getting DK and Tyler going. For the life of me I cannot understand why DK goes entire halves without a target. There should be at a minimum 2 designed plays per drive for him. Obviously game flow and defensive structure can impact drive to drive but get the man some balls across the middle against safeties and LB's. If the Vikings and Dolphins can scheme mismatches with Justin Jefferson and Tyreek Hill every single game (assuming they aren't hurt) when the entire defensive game plan is stop those guys, Shane should be able to get DK a couple freebies each week.

Last edited:

kidhawk

Reaction score
With DK he’s not always wide open but he’s the type of receiver that should win most contested throws. The issue there is you need to build a trust with a qb before he is going to throw those. Geno and DK have that. I think Lock can get there too they just need more reps together.

As for Waldron, I found myself frustrated with his predictability but I will give him credit for giving us a glimpse of what we look like as a running team in the second half. I want to see more of that.

bileever

Reaction score
I'm glad that Waldron didn't abandon the run after the first half. That first TD drive was completely a result of establishing the run. Hopefully, they can build on that for the next three games.

It was cautious, risk-averse play calling in the first half. We were fortunate that the defense was able to keep it close at halftime.

Winning helps to gloss over a lot of problems, and there were a lot of issues, but after scoring 35 against the Cowboys and still losing, I'll take a 20-17 victory every time.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They FINALLY made adjustments. That drive coming out of the half was a thing of beauty. Pound the f'ing rock, a lot.
Walker is a beast. Still not sure why so many think he can't get tough yards. Wrong.

Also, I'm sure the DK blasters are quiet today. He was a grown man when it counted, yet again. BEAST.

Not one time did you see him getting worked up, not once.

sutz

Reaction score
Walker is a beast. Still not sure why so many think he can't get tough yards. Wrong.
It's probably his build. He just looks kinda small and slight. Probably see him in street clothes and you'd be surprised he's an athlete. He's pretty solid, though, and a lot stronger than he looks.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Yes, I was still infuriated that 2nd and anything is pretty much always a run play. (That kind of predictability is so frustrating).
We ran 10 times and passed 8 times on 2nd down last night, so it definitely wasn't "pretty much always". And it's worth noting that we got 5.5 YPC on 2nd down run plays, so I can't complain much.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I give Waldron a B. It was nice seeing him stick to the run for a change, and to be creative with it, but honestly if it wasn't for K9 playing a superb game, breaking tackles like an animal out there, it would've been a dark day today.