Waldron to the Bears….

flv2

Reaction score
Where do you see top 12 offense and Seahawks listed together anywhere?
16th in total passing yards.
28th in total rushing yards.
21st in average yards per game.
T20th in TDs scored.
32nd in offensive plays.

The implication is the offense is comparatively efficient without being successful. It can be either good or bad 'from a certain point of view'.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
16th in total passing yards.
28th in total rushing yards.
21st in average yards per game.
T20th in TDs scored.
32nd in offensive plays.

The implication is the offense is comparatively efficient without being successful. It can be either good or bad 'from a certain point of view'.
we rarely won the TOP battle. that's a killer. usually.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I believe Shane is still under contract, but if he can move on, he will. It only makes sense since he's almost guaranteed to be let go as soon as the contract is up because the new coach will want his own people.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I don't think I have as much of a problem with Waldron as many here though that is compensated by my issues with Hurtt and ultimately PC

sutz

Reaction score
I believe Shane is still under contract, but if he can move on, he will. It only makes sense since he's almost guaranteed to be let go as soon as the contract is up because the new coach will want his own people.
The team notified all the coaches that they could interview right after they announced the Pete Carroll move. Can't see any contract issues coming up. Like you said, the new HC will probably want all his own staff picks.

knownone

Reaction score
I think they're top 12 in EPA but I could be wrong? I tend to put a lot of stock in that stat but admittedly they're not top 12 in PPG which is the ultimate stat but you are at the mercy of other factors like your special teams, defense and your strength of schedule.

Again I could be wrong on EPA (I think PFF has them graded in that range too?) but for sake of argument if I am wrong I would still contend Waldron is underrated by this fan base. His work with Geno alone warrants him a job somewhere.
Yeah. They were 10th in EPA/Play and Success Rate. And PFF has their offense ranked 12th.

I hate losing Waldron. His issues with playcalling seemed to be experience-related, and he started to figure things out after the first Niners game. I can't imagine we improve at the OC position short of getting Johnson as head coach.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
The team notified all the coaches that they could interview right after they announced the Pete Carroll move. Can't see any contract issues coming up. Like you said, the new HC will probably want all his own staff picks.
Maybe Hawks will end up getting a draft pick for him? Nothing too crazy, maybe a 5th?

hinton

Reaction score
I don't get the "Pete limited the coordinators" argument at all, it seems like people trying to push a perceived narrative even though the facts don't seem to fit.

For long stretches this season Waldron seemed to completely forget we had a running game and would throw the ball sometimes for full quarters at a time causing quick 3-and-outs. Considering PC's stated philosophy there's no chance this would happen if Waldron was being overruled by Pete, as Pete would bring us heavily back to the run - which occasionally he did (most notably in the Let Russ Cook season when Wilson started dealing INTs), but these examples seem more the exception than the rule.

Same with the DC. There was so much talk on here that Desai ran to Philly to escape PC's stranglehold on the DEF, but he immediately flamed out with the Eagles - a team loaded with talent.

Looking over the last few years I think the issue was the other way around, I think PC gave too much free-reign to below-par coordinators (which he hired, and he has to take responsibility for that). Hurtt's D was awful despite have some good talent, and Waldron showed some flashes he should have achieved far more with he talent we have on O.

I guess we'll never know, but I'd like to know the reason Geno ran far less this year. Geno is a baller on play-action, but too often this season he was put in a position that wasn't to his strengths.

It'll be interesting to see how Waldron does in Chicago. It could go either way, but I'm thinking he may have benefitted from simply being around McVay at a time when everything McVay touched turned to gold.

I hope he does well, he seems like a good guy and there were some great drives this season, but I'm not sure why he went through long periods of forgetting that RBs and TEs exist, and he never seemed to have a good overall 'feel' of a game from what I saw.

JPatera76

Reaction score
It can definitely be conjectured. Once Wilson got away from Canales, he played much worse. Once Canales left for Tampa, Geno played worse than he did the previous season.

I wish Shane good luck, hopefully he doesn't learn from his lack of variations here and can't turn someone in our conference into a power.
To add Bakers “surgence” when canales got to Tampa

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I don't get the "Pete limited the coordinators" argument at all, it seems like people trying to push a perceived narrative even though the facts don't seem to fit.

For long stretches this season Waldron seemed to completely forget we had a running game and would throw the ball sometimes for full quarters at a time causing quick 3-and-outs. Considering PC's stated philosophy there's no chance this would happen if Waldron was being overruled by Pete, as Pete would bring us heavily back to the run - which occasionally he did (most notably in the Let Russ Cook season when Wilson started dealing INTs), but these examples seem more the exception than the rule.

Same with the DC. There was so much talk on here that Desai ran to Philly to escape PC's stranglehold on the DEF, but he immediately flamed out with the Eagles - a team loaded with talent.

Looking over the last few years I think the issue was the other way around, I think PC gave too much free-reign to below-par coordinators (which he hired, and he has to take responsibility for that). Hurtt's D was awful despite have some good talent, and Waldron showed some flashes he should have achieved far more with he talent we have on O.

I guess we'll never know, but I'd like to know the reason Geno ran far less this year. Geno is a baller on play-action, but too often this season he was put in a position that wasn't to his strengths.

It'll be interesting to see how Waldron does in Chicago. It could go either way, but I'm thinking he may have benefitted from simply being around McVay at a time when everything McVay touched turned to gold.

I hope he does well, he seems like a good guy and there were some great drives this season, but I'm not sure why he went through long periods of forgetting that RBs and TEs exist, and he never seemed to have a good overall 'feel' of a game from what I saw.
Poles is focused on continuing with a McVay type of offense. Around Halas Hall, “continuity” is the buzz word. No radical changes. Just do everything better. Eberflus always says, “We’re going to run the ball.”

BASF

Reaction score
An interesting aspect that I do not believe personally, but maybe Waldron was not doing his best so Carroll was removed from the Seahawks. As much as people talk about McVay owns Pete, we were a missed field goal away from being three and one against them in the past two seasons.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, missed FG the only reason they weren't 3-1 in the last 2 seasons. Own is quite an exaggeration.
But McVay outcoached him, often.

chris98251

Reaction score
2 things with all our coordinators, Pete's influence on what he wanted being low risk and ultra safe, 2nd Wilson unable to use the middle of the field and refusing to run what's called. Which routinely ended up being hero ball at the end of games, running game used when ahead, forgotten when behind, or when the O line was overmatched which was a lot the last few seasons.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
JFC!! no, just no. Dude sucks.
I will just say a lot of QBs would suck with Getsy as OC, only ONE reliable WR, and 28th ranked OL. Any Bears fan will tell you Fields has some issues of his own, but it’s not all on him.