UPDATED: Harvin's contract 6y/$67m $14.5m guaranteed

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
NOOOOO!!!! That will ALWAYS be Jermaine Kearse's number!!!

Hawks46

Reaction score
This sounds like a reasonable deal that leaves us cap room to sign our own guys now. Our FO is brilliant, and it seems like this is a major FA destination with our recent success and team chemistry. Guys will take reasonable deals to come here, and the word is out: you won't take Seattle to the bank anymore.

I just hope all the screaming at the coach and other garbage we heard about stays in Minnesota. Pete isn't a hardass like some coaches and I could see guys with Harvin's history try to take advantage of Pete's happy go lucky personality.

JKent82

Reaction score
Hawks46":h88tv8a7 said:
Pete isn't a hardass like some coaches and I could see guys with Harvin's history try to take advantage of Pete's happy go lucky personality.

I think players know not to mess with Pete.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Hawks46":4osh9cov said:
This sounds like a reasonable deal that leaves us cap room to sign our own guys now. Our FO is brilliant, and it seems like this is a major FA destination with our recent success and team chemistry. Guys will take reasonable deals to come here, and the word is out: you won't take Seattle to the bank anymore.

I just hope all the screaming at the coach and other garbage we heard about stays in Minnesota. Pete isn't a hardass like some coaches and I could see guys with Harvin's history try to take advantage of Pete's happy go lucky personality.

Pete has already demonstrated numerous times that he has no issue showing such players the door - $14.5M SB be damned.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawks46":1syt1cgl said:

Pete is as cut-throat as anyone in the business in making personnel/rotation decisions, and he surrounds himself with no-nonsense assistants. Doubt any player is causing a ruckus with Cable or any of the defensive coaches in earshot. Not to mention the culture he's cultivated among the players. Guys like Marshawn, Mike Rob, Big Red, etc. aren't going to be putting up with any nonsense on the sidelines or the lockerroom.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkFan72":289v7s9u said:
Does his signing bonus count against the cap? Cause that's another $12 million.

Someone probably explained this already, but the bonus is prorated or the life of the contract, so the cap hit would be about $5million this coming year.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkFan72":36edenfn said:
Smelly McUgly":36edenfn said:
Yep - enough to get Desmond Bryant + one of Osi/Freeney/Abraham unless someone's price gets driven up too far in a bidding war.

I'd really like to see the Hawks use some of the extra room to lock up one of our own to a longer deal like they did with Unger last year.

The only critical piece even eligible for a long term deal this year is Kam Chancellor.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawks46":2dxjey8j said:
Pete isn't a hardass like some coaches and I could see guys with Harvin's history try to take advantage of Pete's happy go lucky personality.

Yeah, cause Pete was really soft on Lendale White, Mike Williams, TJ houshmanzada and . . . oh wait, he cut those guys when they got lazy or whinny?

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2m3rksw4 said:
Good estimate of cap hit for 2013...

You can see him down there at $4.9 :)

Great screen grab! Can you provide the link for future reference to that site?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":1eb6taze said:
JGfromtheNW":1eb6taze said:
Good estimate of cap hit for 2013...

You can see him down there at $4.9 :)

Great screen grab! Can you provide the link for future reference to that site?

[urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/[/urltargetblank]

That's the site. It is in the Salary cap thread that used to be stickied, but got unstickied for some reason recently. It's a pretty good site for salary information.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Would've asked this in one of the Harvin threads, but it looks like they were both closed, and I don't think it deserves its own thread, so I'll just ask here.

What happened to Kearse? I thought he was #11, but apparently that's Harvin's new number. Did I miss something?

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Whaaaa??? They done gone and done it now, takin' Jermaine's number. The Kearse just got lifted, fo' real.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Does anyone have the GIF of Ponder throwing the ball like 3 yards off (to Harvin) on a bubble screen incomplete?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":14jl7k4l said:
6 years $75 Mil, $25 M guaranteed, but written like a 4 year 40 M deal where the Seahawks have an out in year 5 or 6.

was close with the 6 years, but way off on the guaranteed money. unless you add the injury guarantee. I hope it's structure so we can cut him after 4 years just in case.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Natethegreat":32yp08wf said:
29 touchdowns (total including returns and rushing) over 4 years(7.5 a year) is good not great and he never broke a thousand yards receiving. For a guy who is being touted as an explosive game changer and being payed top tier money its a little high compared to actual production however it remains to be seen what he can do with Wilson throwing to him. We are not a pass heavy team so it just seems like overpay to me but not outrageously so.
If you are only looking at stats and only stats when it comes to Harvin (let alone any player for that matter) then you just don't understand the value. Harvin IS the most explosive playmaker in the league arguably and all you have to do is simply WATCH the guy play and you will see that. He is so dynamic and probably the most versatile player in the league....can line up anywhere on the field and be a threat to take it the distance. He allows the offense to use him like a swiss army knife and trust me that defenses will be befuddled when having to keep an eye constantly on where he is at, worry about containing Russell, and also worry about having to stop Lynch. On top of that, he is the most dangerous return man in all of football. Just watch the guy play man and you will see why everyone is saying how fair this deal is. He honestly puts this offense over the top

thaima1shu

Reaction score
Can someone explain this?

$11 million in 2014 (guaranteed for injury for now, fully guaranteed on fifth day of the 2014 waiver period)

What exactly does this mean?