Re: KJ Wright Signs 4 year extension UPDATED WITH BREAKDOWN

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Basis4day":335z6ld9 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":335z6ld9 said:
RunTheBall":335z6ld9 said:
pehawk here is a prediction/opinion I will make since you say I never make any.

Okung and/or Mebane will not be on the 2015 Seahawks roster

Uhh, NO.

Mebane will play out his contract... the dude was playing at an All-Pro level this year and as always been consistent.And he's cheap at $5 per year.

For fourth time I have said in this thread:

The guys you need to worry about are Okung, Unger, and Miller.

These are the highly paid players who are not living up to their contractual expectations the last few years.

Miller restructured his contract last offseason and basically reduced it by half of what he was due.

Okay and? I know that... he's still making 3-4 mil a year. The Seahawks have to cut bait somewhere.

Those three are oft-injured and the Seahawks have proved over the course of the last two years that they can win games without them.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ikn3sdv said:
pehawk":2ikn3sdv said:
Ya know what, screw Sgt Largent, dude stinks.

I'm not going to let some keyboard zilch tell me I'm negative, when a lot of my posts are about thank others and trying to spur on conversation. Has anyone, ever, seen or heard of Sgt Largent thanking anyone for their posts? Has anyone seen or heard him creating an OP that spurs conversations? Does he ever add anything?

He adss absolutely nothing. And he's coming in to tell me I'm a negative nancy? In a thread where I credited posters with opposing viewpoints? Screw that dude, he's an albatross and phony who's too scared the ramifications for an independent thought.

Dude tells me I'm "negative" he post trophies that say "lol wut". Get the frick out of here, dudes nothing.

Shockfacebg6

Feel better now?

Post a picture of a trophy that says "lol wut" then scold us all about our contributions, please? And/or, create or come up with an original post (even an original thought would do).

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":21v8ofh9 said:
Basis4day":21v8ofh9 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":21v8ofh9 said:
RunTheBall":21v8ofh9 said:

Uhh, NO.

Mebane will play out his contract... the dude was playing at an All-Pro level this year and as always been consistent.And he's cheap at $5 per year.

These are the highly paid players who are not living up to their contractual expectations the last few years.

Miller restructured his contract last offseason and basically reduced it by half of what he was due.

Okay and? I know that... he's still making 3-4 mil a year. The Seahawks have to cut bait somewhere.

Those three are oft-injured and the Seahawks have proved over the course of the last two years that they can win games without them.
Well before these extensions (and we still don't know what the damage is for next year) Hawks had basically 33 million in cap space. Why do they need to cut bait anywhere?

How is Zach Miller oft-injured? Before he went on IR he missed a total of 3 games in 3 years with us. And Unger isn't as oft-injured as you're claiming.

Last year Hawks went 1-1 without Miller. Also went 2-1 without Unger

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":thf9xl36 said:
Basis4day":thf9xl36 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":thf9xl36 said:
RunTheBall":thf9xl36 said:

Uhh, NO.

You said living up to their contractual obligations the last few years. Which is why he was restructured. He's the wrong player for the example you're trying to make. He isn't the same scenario as Unger and Okung.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Basis4day":30cc6x5p said:
hawksfansinceday1":30cc6x5p said:
Basis4day":30cc6x5p said:
hawksfansinceday1":30cc6x5p said:
Okung is under contract for 2015 so he ain't goin' anywhere. Guessing cutting him this late in the contract wouldn't save much either.
Not sure about Bane. Someone?

Mebane under contract through 2015. He's due 5.5 million next year in base with a 5.7 million cap number. Had the same cap numbers this year.
Thanks Basis.

So RunTheBall, guessing neither is going anywhere and you'd very likely be incorrect.
Doomsday predictions will always be a part of this community though I suppose.

The thing is Mebane has almost no dead money left, so you're looking at 5.5 millions in savings. When there is that much discrepancy between your cost and what it costs to cut you you need to keep an eye on it.

Now me? I think he plays out the contract but those are the kind of numbers cap people look at when compared to production on the field in your absence. The D-Line has compensated in his absence and the only player not under contract from the rotation next year is Kevin Williams.
Thanks Basis. Like you, I still say he's here next year but yes worth considering he might not be considering those facts. Fortunately the big expenditures on Wilson's and Wagner's contracts won't come next year.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Pehawk, seems like you would rather call out people than tall foosball most of the time. I see why you were banned for so long. Gotta love an attention whore that rebukes being the center of attention for the wrong reasons.

KJ Wright is a top 10 OLB, maybe top 5. He struggled moving over the MLB, but arguably against a very good running/short passing game type team. I think Hawks really value his size more than his versatility. He can be hard to handle (I'm Jimmy!) but at times can get beat cheating the short stuff (Ertz TD in Philly) because he doesn't have the top end speed of someone like a KPL or Wagner.

Either way, if this is a sign on the door for Malcom Smith, not sure. That coupled with Smith's lack of playing time really make me wonder. Someone will over pay Smith in FA, and good for him.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1j2fkiqa said:
Thanks Basis. Like you, I still say he's here next year but yes worth considering he might not be considering those facts. Fortunately the big expenditures on Wilson's and Wagner's contracts won't come next year.

I'm not educated enough in the cap to say if this is completely true, but it seams the hawks players extended/signed seem to get a nice signing bonus with a small base salary the first year and a much larger base the second year so no two players at the same position are cutting into the cap at the same time. So Wright may has a smaller base in 2015 and a more sizable base in 2016 so Wagner will have a small base in 2016 and a sizable base in 2017. Throw in the cap increase projections and we're in good shape.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":4z3o7sai said:
Basis4day":4z3o7sai said:
hawksfansinceday1":4z3o7sai said:
Okung is under contract for 2015 so he ain't goin' anywhere. Guessing cutting him this late in the contract wouldn't save much either.

Mebane under contract through 2015. He's due 5.5 million next year in base with a 5.7 million cap number. Had the same cap numbers this year.
Thanks Basis.

So RunTheBall, guessing neither is going anywhere and you'd very likely be incorrect.
It's not a doomsday prediction, it's what is going to happen. The team is going to be fine and could be a dynasty, doesn't change that I think Okung and/or Mebane will not be a Seahawk for the 2015 season.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Did KJ Wright really downplay his AMAZINGLY HIGH new contract with the Seahawks, saying he would have liked to test free agency, if given the chance.

There is a 0% chance any team would have offered him anything near what the Seahawks gave him.

Seriously.....

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":w6jpdbbq said:
Did KJ Wright really downplay his AMAZINGLY HIGH new contract with the Seahawks, saying he would have liked to test free agency, if given the chance.

There is a 0% chance any team would have offered him anything near what the Seahawks gave him.

Seriously.....

Except we don't know how much the Seahawks are giving him yet. He isn't guaranteed the 27 million contract.

7 pages of comments and it's still getting talked about that way.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RunTheBall":3dtodqn9 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3dtodqn9 said:
Basis4day":3dtodqn9 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3dtodqn9 said:

Thanks Basis.

It's not a doomsday prediction, it's what is going to happen. The team is going to be fine and could be a dynasty, doesn't change that I think Okung and/or Mebane will not be a Seahawk for the 2015 season.
Um, OK. Hope you're still here next training camp cuz I tend to remember these things (e.g lvnginhwktwn and his 'smell the fear' comment after like week 7 this year). I'll give you kudos if you're right but I'm gonna remind you if you're wrong,

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":35aby8th said:

Seriously.....

What do you consider anything near?

Would he get 6.5M or 6.75 (rumored amount)? Maybe not, but he probably would have got 5.5 or 6M. So why piss him off and the continuity of one of the greatest defenses of all time hoping that an unproven rookie or free agent fills KJ's role by telling him he's not worth an extra million per year?

This extension is no different from Kam's or Sherm's or Earl's................."we drafted you, we told you if you bust your ass and play like we want you to play, we'll take care of you." That's a fantastic message to your players.

cdallan

Reaction score
RunTheBall":1lf8hz7i said:

I think we need to alert the authorities, as this guy clearly is planning to kill Okung and Mebane.

cdallan

Reaction score
WendellWent":mimd14bc said:
Pehawk, seems like you would rather call out people than tall foosball most of the time. I see why you were banned for so long. Gotta love an attention whore that rebukes being the center of attention for the wrong reasons.

KJ Wright is a top 10 OLB, maybe top 5. He struggled moving over the MLB, but arguably against a very good running/short passing game type team. I think Hawks really value his size more than his versatility. He can be hard to handle (I'm Jimmy!) but at times can get beat cheating the short stuff (Ertz TD in Philly) because he doesn't have the top end speed of someone like a KPL or Wagner.

Either way, if this is a sign on the door for Malcom Smith, not sure. That coupled with Smith's lack of playing time really make me wonder. Someone will over pay Smith in FA, and good for him.

As far as fights go, I hope you have lots of better ones to tell stories about, as this is disappointing.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2lxww0tp said:
RunTheBall":2lxww0tp said:
hawksfansinceday1":2lxww0tp said:
Um, OK. Hope you're still here next training camp cuz I tend to remember these things (e.g lvnginhwktwn and his 'smell the fear' comment after like week 7 this year). I'll give you kudos if you're right but I'm gonna remind you if you're wrong,

I think he's I'mTheScientist.

Threedee

Reaction score
I had just predicted to a friend that the Seahawks would save money on the LB corps by simply building around Wagner, while spending a lot on the D Line. I guess they really like KJ's unique length and his speed.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fs5k88u5 said:
NFSeahawks628":fs5k88u5 said:

Seriously.....

Would he get 6.5M or 6.75 (rumored amount)? Maybe not, but he probably would have got 5.5 or 6M. So why piss him off and the continuity of one of the greatest defenses of all time hoping that an unproven rookie or free agent fills KJ's role by telling him he's not worth an extra million per year?

This extension is no different from Kam's or Sherm's or Earl's................."we drafted you, we told you if you bust your ass and play like we want you to play, we'll take care of you." That's a fantastic message to your players.

I see your point. However, I just think you should give a player what there worth, no more, no less. I'd say 4.5-5 million is a fair amount for him looking at these other players. I understand the amount per year will change as years pass but compared to this list...

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/linebacker/

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3gx8ukda said:
hawksfansinceday1":3gx8ukda said:
RunTheBall":3gx8ukda said:
hawksfansinceday1":3gx8ukda said:

I think he's I'mTheScientist.
Never thought of that, but could be. :D

mikeak

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":zmqmf3gj said:
mikeak":zmqmf3gj said:
What do you mean - this isn't 2013 and next season isn't 2014???

Yes you are right - I am an idiot and ignored the fact that the $1.5million was for this year. Please proceed with your normally scheduled programming and ignore me

Don't beat yourself up, I didn't mean the tone to be douchey, the question was half serious. :thirishdrinkers:

Your tone was fine - I was just being douchey to myself :). should have put a smiley face in there

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3k1rchlf said:
Sgt. Largent":3k1rchlf said:
NFSeahawks628":3k1rchlf said:

Seriously.....

I see your point. However, I just think you should give a player what there worth, no more, no less. I'd say 4.5-5 million is a fair amount for him looking at these other players. I understand the amount per year will change as years pass but compared to this list...

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/linebacker/

Maybe we could have got KJ for this, but if you want to play hardball, then you're risking another Golden Tate situation where you tell the player "this is what we think you're worth." Then the player says no thanks I think I'll test the FA market.

One week later, poof, the player's gone.

Like I said, so we overpaid by a little, so what? Avril's signing proves the extra 1M or 1.5M isn't going to inhibit signing the other guys we need to sign.