UPDATE - Sherman Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2qkvm055 said:
This is a tough cut. Sherm brought the swagger and winning attitude to this team. I knew as soon as the injury occurred we would never see him play here again. Hope he signs on with a winner and gets a ring.
I suspect he will before we will

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Dinner with Kyle Shannahan. Going to 49ers would be wrong on so many levels.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
All that sideline/lockeroom tension spoken of is going public big time.

That said I'll miss Sherm. He had lost a half step or so, and with injuries mounting, was not worth the premium price any longer. It's a business and sometimes a damn cold one...

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3228wybh said:
Dinner with Kyle Shannahan. Going to 49ers would be wrong on so many levels.
Well he went to college at Stanford, and tbh I wouldn’t blame him given the fact that the front office isn’t honoring the contract they agreed to (yeah, I know NFL contracts aren’t guaranteed, and I know with Wilson’s impending extension they can’t afford it, but it’s the principle of the matter).

But yeah if that happens it would be like Deion going to the 49ers for a Falcon fan, or Deion going to the Cowboys for a 49er fan, or Deion going to the Redskins for a Cowboy fan... XD

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sherman has dinner last night with Kyle Shanahan and his wife in Los Gatos (‘bout 20 mins south of team HQ).

Could be nothing at all, but it surprised me.

replicant

Reaction score
Marcus Thompson reported on Friday that Sherman was spotted meeting with 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan in Los Gatos, California. I have since heard a confirmation of that report. Additionally, ESPN’s Adam Schefter is reporting Sherman will meet with 49ers officials on Saturday.

ESPN’s Josina Anderson is reporting Sherman told her he has received preliminary interest from the 49ers, Titans, Lions, Raiders, Texans, Buccaneers, and Packers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/re ... li=BBnb7Kz

BigMeach

Reaction score
hawkfan68":34zlnogl said:
hawkman":34zlnogl said:
Steve2222":34zlnogl said:
Hotchy":34zlnogl said:
Any reactions from Earl ? I wonder if he even wants to be here now. He's only got a couple all pro years left and looking around at the secondary he'll be working with in 2018 is very disheartening for a competitor like Thomas is. I'm thinking he'll be asking for a trade here pretty soon.

When teams start to gut and rebuild, the HOFers should be kept. To me , Wagner and Thomas are the current players that fit that bill. All the others, including Wilson and Sherman, will just be remembered as really good Hawks.

Largent, Jones, Tez, Easley, Thomas, and Wagner can all be argued at being the best to play their positions.

Pretty sure 100% of NFL fans will remember Russell Wilson more than Bobby Wagner

Also, Wilson’s path to the Hall of Fame is right on par with ET and Wagner. You realize it’s incredibly difficult for QBs to get All Pros? Wilson was a Top 3 candidate for MVP until the wheels completely fell off the team Week 14.

It amazes me how underappreciated Russell Wilson is amongst Seahawks fans.

And no, ET, Largent, and Wagner cannot be argued as all time best at their position. Lmao. What a dumb post

Wilson is flat out most overrated qb in history. Without a historical defense and a once in a generation RB we don’t win a SB. That’s what Lil russ needed, and will never have a team like that again. We are a 8 or 9 win team at best as long as the little one is here.

You completely ignore the fact that Russell WIlson took a basically 7-9 team with Tjack/Clipboard Jesus as QB into the playoffs (his rookie year). The defense was basically the same in 2011 and 2012 seasons.[/quote]

Oh he did not forget, he wasn't watching yet.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Popeyejones":633xqzje said:
Sherman has dinner last night with Kyle Shanahan and his wife in Los Gatos (‘bout 20 mins south of team HQ).

Could be nothing at all, but it surprised me.

Yeah I’m sure Sherman and Kyle are great friends and meet up all the time in the offseason.

/sarcasm off

Yes this is something

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I'd love to know exactly how the meetings with Sherman went prior to his release.

I don't know a lot about recovery from achilles injuries, but I think if any player can recover to return to a high level of play, it's Sherman. I'd be feeling better with gambling on trading Thomas or Wilson, honestly.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Would make sense for him.

From the area. Team on the rise. And I don’t think players are as consumed by rivalries as fans are.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2ri5ag4k said:
I'd love to know exactly how the meetings with Sherman went prior to his release.

I don't know a lot about recovery from achilles injuries, but I think if any player can recover to return to a high level of play, it's Sherman. I'd be feeling better with gambling on trading Thomas or Wilson, honestly.
At least Sherman didn't want to go to Dallas while still under contract....

Steve2222

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":37cgpcej said:

I don't know a lot about recovery from achilles injuries, but I think if any player can recover to return to a high level of play, it's Sherman. I'd be feeling better with gambling on trading Thomas or Wilson honestly.

Thank god you’re not the decision maker. Taking an aging CB coming off a devastating injury over an All Pro safety and young elite franchise QB.

Jesus....

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Steve2222":1fdpop3o said:
Grahamhawker":1fdpop3o said:

I don't know a lot about recovery from achilles injuries, but I think if any player can recover to return to a high level of play, it's Sherman. I'd be feeling better with gambling on trading Thomas or Wilson honestly.

Thank god you’re not the decision maker. Taking an aging CB coming off a devastating injury over an All Pro safety and young elite franchise QB.

Jesus....

Mine was an overly-emotional response, but that's also assuming we could get some value in return.

All that has happened so far with these two recent moves is losing a perennially productive DL and the best CB of this generation ( I know...age, injuries, cap space) for basically zip in return. The FO better pull off some magic, or years of mediocrity are all I'm seeing.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":oao5d7vo said:
Steve2222":oao5d7vo said:
Grahamhawker":oao5d7vo said:

Jesus....

Mine was an overly-emotional response, but that's also assuming we could get some value in return.

All that has happened so far with these two recent moves is losing a perennially productive DL and the best CB of this generation ( I know...age, injuries, cap space) for basically zip in return. The FO better pull off some magic, or years of mediocrity are all I'm seeing.

He’s not the generational corner anymore. And Sherman was on the trade block before he was released an no one bit. He’s still a starting CB, but he’s not a Top 10 corner anymore. It’s time to move on. Stop getting so emotionally attached to our players.

Now I hope Avril and Kam retire. Keep clearing cap space.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
The 49ers. Jesus. Push an All-Pro out the door and watch him come back to haunt you twice a year. I hope this somehow works out for us, but Pete and John could come out of this saga looking very foolish.

I still don't see the upside to any of this. Who can they possibly get with that $11M to replace Sherman's presence on this team?

hawkman

Reaction score
BigMeach":38f7ebb5 said:
hawkfan68":38f7ebb5 said:
hawkman":38f7ebb5 said:
Steve2222":38f7ebb5 said:
Pretty sure 100% of NFL fans will remember Russell Wilson more than Bobby Wagner

Also, Wilson’s path to the Hall of Fame is right on par with ET and Wagner. You realize it’s incredibly difficult for QBs to get All Pros? Wilson was a Top 3 candidate for MVP until the wheels completely fell off the team Week 14.

It amazes me how underappreciated Russell Wilson is amongst Seahawks fans.

And no, ET, Largent, and Wagner cannot be argued as all time best at their position. Lmao. What a dumb post

Wilson is flat out most overrated qb in history. Without a historical defense and a once in a generation RB we don’t win a SB. That’s what Lil russ needed, and will never have a team like that again. We are a 8 or 9 win team at best as long as the little one is here.

You completely ignore the fact that Russell WIlson took a basically 7-9 team with Tjack/Clipboard Jesus as QB into the playoffs (his rookie year). The defense was basically the same in 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Oh he did not forget, he wasn't watching yet.[/quote]

The D made a big jump between 2011 and 2012. Plus the running game got better.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3jr6zhx3 said:
The 49ers. Jesus. Push an All-Pro out the door and watch him come back to haunt you twice a year. I hope this somehow works out for us, but Pete and John could come out of this saga looking very foolish.

I still don't see the upside to any of this. Who can they possibly get with that $11M to replace Sherman's presence on this team?

Replacing Sherman's presence won't happen. I predict continued throwing feces at the wall in the hopes of some sticking.

purpleneer

Reaction score
original poster":6du2ns7t said:
Chapow":6du2ns7t said:
original poster":6du2ns7t said:
Seymour":6du2ns7t said:
What???????????????

Sherman NOW released doesn't deserve it's own thread?

Makes far more sense to have it in with all the speculation.

It doesn't at all.

Somewhere in the middle of page 7 of a thread that's all speculation, rumors, conjecture, and assumptions we find the actual news that something actually happened.

That doesn't make much sense at all to me and I think would be awfully confusing to someone that hasn't been following this thread since it started especially with the change to the title. Just my opinion of course.

Valid point, I’ve made it it’s own topic.

Not as if Richard doesn’t deserve it :2thumbs:
FWIW for future discussion, I appreciate the change as I find it annoying to see pages worth of out-of-date posts to add confusion to the discussion.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I love how people talk about 2013 being the defense and Marshawn as the only reason we won the Super Bowl. Yet they forget in 2012 Russell Wilson almost singlehandedly advanced us to the NFCCG, when, against Atlanta in the Divisional Round until the defense blew it by not being to hold Matt Ryan for a minute. If the defense does their job, that comeback orchestrated but Russell is probably still being talked about to this day. However, no one seems to remember it (Seahawks fans included).

The Seahawks don’t win in 2013 without Wilson just like they don’t win in 2013 without Kam, Sherm, ET, Bobby, etc.

It’s sickening how underapppreciated we Seahawks fans are towards Wilson. It’s pretty mind boggling as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts