Seahawks sign Jerome Baker LB

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
How do we know that? Baker has far more sacks than rooks has. Both have had their injuries, but when healthy they seem pretty even outside of one gets a lot more sacks.
Because the Dolphins just let Baker go to pay Brooks more than we just gave Baker? And Schneider said he wanted to resign Brooks but Miami swapped in and grabbed him?

I'm not saying this is bad, but it probably wasn't the original plan.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Both our new LBs are an improvement in coverage. Both play the run at a good level too. Both also do pretty well at getting to the QB when that is their call. We did all right given the circumstances.

That coverage comment make me feel good. When people talk about linebacker coverage immediatly I think of Niners receivers running wide open on crossing routes and Stafford hitting Nacua over and over in the middle week 1

CPHawk

Reaction score
Because the Dolphins just let Baker go to pay Brooks more than we just gave Baker? And Schneider said he wanted to resign Brooks but Miami swapped in and grabbed him?

I'm not saying this is bad, but it probably wasn't the original plan.
He was making 12.5 a year. Maybe he didn’t want to take a big pay cut to stay in Miami? We don’t know.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
He was making 12.5 a year. Maybe he didn’t want to take a big pay cut to stay in Miami? We don’t know.
FWIW, the $12.5M you mentioned is not his salary, but rather his 2023 cap hit.

His 2023 salary was $8.4M.

flv2

Reaction score
The 2023 Dolphins defense played like the 2023 Seahawks defense. There was a big disconnect between the DC, (who was effectively kicked out), and most of the players, (who have been effectively kicked out). They can't all be as bad as they looked in 2023, but buyer beware.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The 2023 Dolphins defense played like the 2023 Seahawks defense. There was a big disconnect between the DC, (who was effectively kicked out), and most of the players, (who have been effectively kicked out). They can't all be as bad as they looked in 2023, but buyer beware.
The only players I have ever seen that looked good all the time was when they only let you see their highlight reels.
I have to learn to do a better job of using that /s tag whenever I'm trying to be funny. :)

flv2

Reaction score
The only players I have ever seen that looked good all the time was when they only let you see their highlight reels.
I have to learn to do a better job of using that /s tag whenever I'm trying to be funny. :)
No harm no foul. To be honest I wasn't replying to your post. I was just making a general comment.

I watched maybe 15 Dolphins games and maybe only 12 Seahawks games in 2023. These were the 2nd and 3rd teams I watched most of. I don't remember any especially bad players on the Dolphins, but Van Ginkel was the only player that caught my eye as a good player, or at least flashed. It didn't take much adversity in a game for Dolphins defenders to quit playing hard. Their tackling was very, very similar to the Seahawks in many games.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
I kept reading on their reddit thread they weren't using him right, saying he was bad in coverage but great at rushing the passer
Probably why we got him but still possibly an upgrade from what were used to the last 3 or 4 years

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Remember when getting guys on prove it deals really benefited the start of our run? How can anyone hate on these low dollar experienced, all while still young, signings.
7-8 years of Pete needing to be fired is a lot for alot of the fanbase. It's not a bad thing if we go 5-12 for a year maybe 2 years look at Detroit especially because they built their lines and have a Geno Smith shit quarterback. Obviously to beat KC you need a real deal quarterback but I'm okay with giving it a couple years.

Gio

Reaction score
While PFF says different , on FinsHeaven forum people think of Brooks as an upgrade compared to Baker. My pov is to wait and see. Our coach definitely knows better.

BASF

Reaction score
It kind of surprises me how many are against a short contract considering we have no idea what system we are even running yet. Everything that has come from Macdonald is that he tailors his system to his players. There are hundreds of examples of free agents getting high dollars off of what they did with their former teams' system and not living up to their contracts.

Do any of you remember the 2011 Eagles team that signed a lot of big names to big contracts and everyone and their mothers were anointing them as future super bowl champs and then they struggled to play together? They didn't even make the playoffs.

It is smart business to bring in guys short term until we figure out our system and how well they fit in.

Scout

Reaction score
While PFF says different , on FinsHeaven forum people think of Brooks as an upgrade compared to Baker. My pov is to wait and see. Our coach definitely knows better.
Brooks is definitely better sideline to sideline. But when it comes to having a feel as an edge rusher or as a stand up A gap blitzer this is where Baker shines. Baker's ability to stack and shed at the point of attack is also what makes him better than Brooks. In addition, Baker can give looks of threatening the A gap and effortless drop into zone to disrupt passing lanes. This is what Mac wants to do on defense and Baker is the perfect fit.

I mean Brooks could be a better fit for what the Dolphins will be doing or using him so who knows until we see them line up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
These two LB's can flat out play. Can't cover, deuces. Wags and Brooks were both average at best in coverage.