Shefter: Grubb the new OC

nanomoz

Reaction score
He must have a plan on how to make some concepts work in the pros. So much of what Washington ran isn't going to fly.

The mystery here makes me like this move more than I should.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
He must have a plan on how to make some concepts work in the pros. So much of what Washington ran isn't going to fly.

It’s fun isn’t it? He’s just been so successful everywhere he’s been so I think he will be fine. A lot of his principles will transfer he just has to tweak a few things. Macdonald and Grubb have a lot of intel on Michigan and Washington players maybe we see something like we did with Pete.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
It’s fun isn’t it? He’s just been so successful everywhere he’s been so I think he will be fine. A lot of his principles will transfer he just has to tweak a few things. Macdonald and Grubb have a lot of intel on Michigan and Washington players maybe we see something like we did with Pete.
I absolutely love the Intel from the college aspect. He will have some advantages there.

Seattle Person

Reaction score

I disagree. A lot of the concepts that UW ran is already being run at the NFL level. The thing that Grubb is going to have to adjust to is spacing. The hashes are much different in college than the NFL. There is far less space.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm hoping you're right. I'm feeling good about it. I'm not hoping this marries us to Penix, however. I'd much rather have Rattler or McCarthy (they'll be the age Penix is now close to the end of their rookie deals).

I don't think Penix's age will bother John as much.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I disagree. A lot of the concepts that UW ran is already being run at the NFL level. The thing that Grubb is going to have to adjust to is spacing. The hashes are much different in college than the NFL. There is far less space.
So much of what Washington ran had no reads. Penix knew where he was going with the ball before the snap a really, really high percentage of the time. And he threw it there no matter what. That will only fly occasionally in the NFL.

12forlife

Reaction score
This is big news. Or, at least an indication of how a really big facet of this is considered to go.

Huff is a big, big get and is one of the reasons I'm high on this hiring.

I'm not up to date on Huff? Catch me up!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm not up to date on Huff? Catch me up!
Scott Huff has been a perennially good OL coach who was originally a Chris Petersen pupil. Played at Boise State as a center. Moved to coaching under Petersen at BSU. Started at TE coach in 2006, coached the OL from 2007-2009, moved back to TE for 2010-2011 and then added Special Teams Coordinator to his TE coach title in 2012-2013 before shifting back to OL. In Petersen's last year at BSU, he became the co-OC while keeping his OL coach duties.

When Petersen moved to UW, he brought Huff as his OL coach and run game coordinator. When Petersen left, he was retained as the OL coach and has been ever since... until now, as Grubb brings him here.

I cannot see a single stop at which he wasn't at least moderately successful, and he's done fantastic work at UW. That OL is sound and, coupled with synergistic playcalling from Grubb, provided Penix with an excellent cocoon from which he could flourish.

Latest posts