UPDATE - Sherman Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCATES

Reaction score
Apparently before he signed the deal with SF he offered the same deal to Seattle. A deal that only basically pays Sherman anything close to his original deal if he performs well (pro bowl/ all-pro) and is on the field 95% of the year. Seems silly that Hawks wouldn't take that. There must be something they know that we don't about Sherm's future health.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
RCATES":2l11z8wa said:
Apparently before he signed the deal with SF he offered the same deal to Seattle. A deal that only basically pays Sherman anything close to his original deal if he performs well (pro bowl/ all-pro) and is on the field 95% of the year. Seems silly that Hawks wouldn't take that. There must be something they know that we don't about Sherm's future health.

I hope that's the reason or it was a dumb move.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
RCATES":1bqbdex1 said:

I think Seattle was done with him. Health and everything else. At some point, JS and PC must have just grown tired of Sherman's voice on and off the field in contrast to what they expected they could get from his play

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Epic Fail. Cards just traded Patrick Peterson to the Browns for the #4 overall pick.

We dump Sherm and get NOTHING. :pukeface:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What??? Can't find it anywhere. That would be awesome. Patrick Peterson to the Browns?
Hey Seymour, I believe they are talking about Adrian Peterson being released. I don't see anything that shows Patrick Peterson being traded. I hope it's true, but if you see something, please post it :irishdrinkers:

BamKam

Reaction score
Peterson to the Browns is legitimate fake news from a faux NFL twitter account.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Makes sense, it would have been announced immediately on the radio, been on the nfl dot com and espn pages right away.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Seymour":12xl5qo7 said:
Epic Fail. Cards just traded Patrick Peterson to the Browns for the #4 overall pick.

We dump Sherm and get NOTHING. :pukeface:

Yeah............thats not real.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":34bnv0bb said:
What??? Can't find it anywhere. That would be awesome. Patrick Peterson to the Browns?
Hey Seymour, I believe they are talking about Adrian Peterson being released. I don't see anything that shows Patrick Peterson being traded. I hope it's true, but if you see something, please post it :irishdrinkers:

Not finding it either. I heard this trade on Sports Radio 950 this morning. I wonder if they jumped the gun? It was definitely Patrick for the #4 pick though.

Edit...looks like it was fake news? Weird 950 fell for it. :roll:

253hawk

Reaction score
Steve2222":30z0hhi7 said:
Or you know, nothing like Russell throwing a bomb over Sherman to Baldwin to beat SF in Santa Clara

On thanksgiving, and then celebrating by eating a big 'ol turkey leg on the center field logo.

BamKam

Reaction score
Seymour":28d5xeg8 said:
SoulfishHawk":28d5xeg8 said:

Not finding it either. I heard this trade on Sports Radio 950 this morning. I wonder if they jumped the gun? It was definitely Patrick for the #4 pick though.

I listened to KJR all morning and didn't hear them announce it.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
BamKam":36a8vvie said:
Seymour":36a8vvie said:
SoulfishHawk":36a8vvie said:

I listened to KJR all morning and didn't hear them announce it.

Then you didn't listen to it "all" morning. They just did a correction on this about 1/2 hour ago.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Gibbo":2x3zntko said:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2018/03/12/richard-sherman-five-missteps-negotiating-his-contract-with-ers/DeOmLJypHmxvk5Ev1V5z7H/story.html

Good article on how Sherman got screwed by the 9ers.

I’m not being bitter by the way it’s a really interesting read.

Looks like that link is behind a paywall? Edit: Got through this time.

But I'm sure it mentions only 3 million of the 39 million dollar contract is guaranteed. Yikes. Good luck Sherm.

Chapow

Reaction score
Gibbo":w3pdba9m said:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2018/03/12/richard-sherman-five-missteps-negotiating-his-contract-with-ers/DeOmLJypHmxvk5Ev1V5z7H/story.html

Yikes.

Objectively, this contract is seriously tilted in the 49ers’ favor. Sherman, soon to be 30 and coming off a torn Achilles, gets only $3 million fully guaranteed, $5 million practically guaranteed, and realistically, will get one year and $7 million out of this contract.

Sherman got no guarantees beyond 2018. His $3 million signing bonus will make it very easy for the 49ers to part ways with him — just a $2 million dead cap hit in 2019, and $1 million in 2020. A small signing bonus is always a clear sign that the team doesn’t trust the player for the long haul.

Also, California has a 13.3% state income tax rate which is the highest in the nation. That's about $400,000 of that fully guaranteed $3 million.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Chapow":26sl7dt5 said:
Gibbo":26sl7dt5 said:

Yikes.

Objectively, this contract is seriously tilted in the 49ers’ favor. Sherman, soon to be 30 and coming off a torn Achilles, gets only $3 million fully guaranteed, $5 million practically guaranteed, and realistically, will get one year and $7 million out of this contract.

Sherman got no guarantees beyond 2018. His $3 million signing bonus will make it very easy for the 49ers to part ways with him — just a $2 million dead cap hit in 2019, and $1 million in 2020. A small signing bonus is always a clear sign that the team doesn’t trust the player for the long haul.

Also, California has a 13.3% state income tax rate which is the highest in the nation. That's about $400,000 of that fully guaranteed $3 million.

Ouch.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Yeah, I mentioned in another thread how good of a deal John Lynch made. Sherm's first year in SF is a beauty for SF. He'll only make the full $39m over the next 3 years if he's elite like he was in Seattle. Certainly possible, but a lot of that money is through incentives. The $5m signing bonus is the gem of the deal.

Chapow

Reaction score
Crizilla":3tp0n8ql said:
Yeah, I mentioned in another thread how good of a deal John Lynch made. Sherm's first year in SF is a beauty for SF. He'll only make the full $39m over the next 3 years if he's elite like he was in Seattle. Certainly possible, but a lot of that money is through incentives. The $5m signing bonus is the gem of the deal.

The only way he makes the full $39 million is if he plays at least 90% of the snaps and makes the Pro Bowl and All Pro every year for the next 3 years. Those incentives are worth $4 million a year, so if he doesn't make those that $39 million is actually $27 million. BTW, the Cali state income tax of 13.3% is another roughly $3.6 million of that $27 million he won't be getting.

But realistically, unless he does come back and play at an elite level, he won't be seeing anywhere near that amount from this contract.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RCATES":3k8ziy4t said:
Or our FO just miscalculated. I’m basing that statement off of that he called Seattle and gave them a chance to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.