Trading Bobby Wagner

Scorpion05

Reaction score
You don't trade someone as iconic and meaningful to your franchise as Bobby Wagner. Letting Russ go at age 43 like Brady I'd understand. It's tradition these days for the great ones to play for one other team before retiring officially. While the team starts anew with a young QB.

But there is something to be said about team culture. Look at the Browns. They are a team stacked with first round picks and talent, but can't put it all together. Gathering picks isn't the be all, end all. There's a reason why we pay our guys and why we keep certain guys around. Wagner is that dude. He was always positive and supportive of Russ, he was the backbone of the defense during a major defensive transition after LOB. From a team culture standpoint, you make sure that guy retires a Hawk. You put his name in the rafters, you praise him for the Seahawks legend that he is. No exceptions.

Side note: Team culture by the way, is why we may offer Carson a reasonable, incentive laden contract. Whether fans on twitter whine about it or not. The team loves him, in many ways he solidifies the position, and it makes players want to sign here when most players would rather go to LA, Miami, SF. All good teams.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point on Carson. And I doubt I'm the only one who feels WAY more confident in the running game when he is in there. He gives everything he has and is just a hell of a player. If he was willing to take an incentive filled contract? I would love to keep him around.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":345avs1d said:
Good point on Carson. And I doubt I'm the only one who feels WAY more confident in the running game when he is in there. He gives everything he has and is just a hell of a player. If he was willing to take an incentive filled contract? I would love to keep him around.

Hell yeah. It see it as highly probable. He is dedicated to this team.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3leeqy6y said:
You don't trade someone as iconic and meaningful to your franchise as Bobby Wagner. Letting Russ go at age 43 like Brady I'd understand. It's tradition these days for the great ones to play for one other team before retiring officially. While the team starts anew with a young QB.

But there is something to be said about team culture. Look at the Browns. They are a team stacked with first round picks and talent, but can't put it all together. Gathering picks isn't the be all, end all. There's a reason why we pay our guys and why we keep certain guys around. Wagner is that dude. He was always positive and supportive of Russ, he was the backbone of the defense during a major defensive transition after LOB. From a team culture standpoint, you make sure that guy retires a Hawk. You put his name in the rafters, you praise him for the Seahawks legend that he is. No exceptions.

Side note: Team culture by the way, is why we may offer Carson a reasonable, incentive laden contract. Whether fans on twitter whine about it or not. The team loves him, in many ways he solidifies the position, and it makes players want to sign here when most players would rather go to LA, Miami, SF. All good teams.

Good points here.

massari

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1jtinefz said:
You don't trade someone as iconic and meaningful to your franchise as Bobby Wagner. Letting Russ go at age 43 like Brady I'd understand.
Wagner is 43 in LB years.

Anyone who wouldn't trade Wagner for a 1st and 2nd is a complete fan boy :p

Nunya

Reaction score
massari":2ibxw7ok said:
Scorpion05":2ibxw7ok said:
You don't trade someone as iconic and meaningful to your franchise as Bobby Wagner. Letting Russ go at age 43 like Brady I'd understand.
Wagner is 43 in LB years.

Anyone who wouldn't trade Wagner for a 1st and 2nd is a complete fan boy :p

Wagner is the Captain of the Defensive and still considered one of the best LBs in the game. He has not slowed down much over the years and is a smart player. Other team members look up to him and feed off of his intensity and leadership.

Only a fool would trade one of the heart and soul players (a bloody Captain, no less) on our team for draft picks. Once you start doing that, it sends a message to the rest of the team that you really do not care about being loyal to players. Once you are not loyal to players, players will stop being loyal to the team. It is one thing to not resign a player come contract time....it is completely a different thing to trade a player for the sole purpose of obtaining draft picks. For the most part, only teams looking to rebuild does crap like that.

massari

Reaction score
Nunya":v2fani50 said:
Only a fool would trade one of the heart and soul players (a bloody Captain, no less) on our team for draft picks. .
You won't be saying that when he's a shell of his former self with a $20M cap hit

Nunya

Reaction score
massari":3looxvfw said:
Nunya":3looxvfw said:
Only a fool would trade one of the heart and soul players (a bloody Captain, no less) on our team for draft picks. .
You won't be saying that when he's a shell of his former self with a $20M cap hit

He is in his 1st year of a 3 year contract. If he starts slowing down later this season or the next 2 season, The Seahawks will likely not sign him. If they do sign him, I would expect a 2 year contract with the amount being comparable to how much he contributes. In the 2022 season, he WILL have a $20mil cap hit. If he is still playing at the level he is playing, that is nothing for basically the leader of the defense. The team would likely pay that much for any replacement. I expect he has many season left before he is a "shell of his former self".

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I took a look at the careers of some of the best linebackers of all times, who played somewhat recently. I excluded some guys, like Dick Butkus, because I'm not sure that their longevity is transferable to today's NFL. Just some of the players I think of, when I think of elite LBs.

James Harrison 39-years-old, 15 seasons

Patrick Willis 30-years-old, 8 seasons

Ricky Jackson 37-years-old, 15 seasons

Terrell Suggs 37-years-old, 17 seasons*

Demarcus Ware 34-years-old, 12 seasons

Brian Urlacher 34-years-old, 13 seasons

Junior Seau 41-years-old, 13 seasons

Ray Lewis 38-years-old, 17 seasons

Lawrence Taylor 35-years-old, 13 years

Excluding Willis, who retired early, we see that, on average, elite, recently active, linebackers enjoy a 14.4 year career, and retire at 37-years-old

Wagner is currently 30-years-old, with 9 years experience. It is reasonable to expect that he still has 5 to 7 years left in him, with 3 to 4 years of elite play, before the inevitable drop off.

Just some data to add to your discussion. It could be used to support many opposing arguments in this thread.

Not officially retired, played as DE in his final year.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2f7091vm said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2f7091vm said:
jamescasey1124":2f7091vm said:
IndyHawk":2f7091vm said:
Past prime once again doesn't mean he sucks in any way.
It's just that he is at higher risk for injury and he is not going
to be as fast like say 2016?
I mean if you don't understand it's not a stats thing I can't help.
BTW when it is a stats issue..I would say the game has passed
him by which I never said.

You dont even know a prime man. Prime can literally last forever if you treat your body right. go ask frank gore, emmitt smith or $h!t right here on our own team Duane brown. Stop trying to sound smart while back peddling out of your stupid statements. It's not working. New poster or not. I'm not a hater. Sensitive aint even close. I ll put your ass in line.
Wow.

You just said, “Prime can literally last forever.”

Everyone, all players, no matter what sport, or how they treat and take care of their bodies, have primes.

No one lasts forever.

And no one plays at the highest level forever. That is just unrealistic.

First and foremost, you are NOT putting anyone’s ass in line.

Who the hell do you think you are?!

When you said, “Prime can literally last forever” all your (if any you had) credibility went down the drain.

Father Time is undefeated and no one last forever.

You’re passionate, I’ll give you that, and maybe you are a young kid, or you are just set in your ways but you are just way too naive.

Players don’t last forever.

Time and life catches up to everyone, and that is just cold hard FACTS!

This has been removed and a warning issued. Future posts that include personal attacks will result in a ban.
:lol: put me in line? :34853_doh: I'm going to say this once (We can agree to disagree)
Everyone has their own opinions.

rcaido

Reaction score
Our defense sucks right now. If you can get a good draft picks for Bobby you do it. We let go of Sherman for free...Thomas for free

We already drafted players in his place Barton & Brooks. The only person untouchable is Wilson & i guess Adams for now. Do you guys think we will resign Bobby after 2022? Is he going to just walk away free like the rest of our HOF LOB. Adams is young and i can see us rebuilding w/ him. Bobby would be too expensive $20million + for a linebacker, you add Adams salary to that, what will we have left? Metcalf contract will be up the same time.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
toffee":2kgf0avu said:
You guys know what?? Our Bobby reads the Net. This trade bobby topic motivated him, lighted a match under his butt.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Let's increase the trade talk! I think his value can't get much higher after this game. No way he can have an even better game this week. Strike while the iron is hot.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I HIGHLY doubt he reads a message board. He doesn't need a fan message board to motivate him.
He's a beast and always has been.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
bigskydoc":b5h5a36k said:
Out of curiosity, I took a look at the careers of some of the best linebackers of all times, who played somewhat recently. I excluded some guys, like d*ck Butkus, because I'm not sure that their longevity is transferable to today's NFL. Just some of the players I think of, when I think of elite LBs.

James Harrison 39-years-old, 15 seasons

Patrick Willis 30-years-old, 8 seasons

Ricky Jackson 37-years-old, 15 seasons

Terrell Suggs 37-years-old, 17 seasons*

Demarcus Ware 34-years-old, 12 seasons

Brian Urlacher 34-years-old, 13 seasons

Junior Seau 41-years-old, 13 seasons

Ray Lewis 38-years-old, 17 seasons

Lawrence Taylor 35-years-old, 13 years

Excluding Willis, who retired early, we see that, on average, elite, recently active, linebackers enjoy a 14.4 year career, and retire at 37-years-old

Wagner is currently 30-years-old, with 9 years experience. It is reasonable to expect that he still has 5 to 7 years left in him, with 3 to 4 years of elite play, before the inevitable drop off.

Just some data to add to your discussion. It could be used to support many opposing arguments in this thread.

Not officially retired, played as DE in his final year.

Thanks man. Someone actually did some research before just letting their mouth wonder.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":k3dvxce0 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":k3dvxce0 said:
jamescasey1124":k3dvxce0 said:
IndyHawk":k3dvxce0 said:
Past prime once again doesn't mean he sucks in any way.
It's just that he is at higher risk for injury and he is not going
to be as fast like say 2016?
I mean if you don't understand it's not a stats thing I can't help.
BTW when it is a stats issue..I would say the game has passed
him by which I never said.

You dont even know a prime man. Prime can literally last forever if you treat your body right. go ask frank gore, emmitt smith or $h!t right here on our own team Duane brown. Stop trying to sound smart while back peddling out of your stupid statements. It's not working. New poster or not. I'm not a hater. Sensitive aint even close. I ll put your ass in line.
Wow.

You just said, “Prime can literally last forever.”

Everyone, all players, no matter what sport, or how they treat and take care of their bodies, have primes.

No one lasts forever.

And no one plays at the highest level forever. That is just unrealistic.

First and foremost, you are NOT putting anyone’s ass in line.

Who the hell do you think you are?!

When you said, “Prime can literally last forever” all your (if any you had) credibility went down the drain.

Father Time is undefeated and no one last forever.

You’re passionate, I’ll give you that, and maybe you are a young kid, or you are just set in your ways but you are just way too naive.

Players don’t last forever.

Time and life catches up to everyone, and that is just cold hard FACTS!

This has been removed and a warning issued. Future posts that include personal attacks will result in a ban.

Ok so him calling me naive and questioning my intelligence, then stating I could be a teenage kid and don't know what I'm talking about. Read the posts. He came at me first. And apparently you consider his feelings. Lame ass emotional acts.

(mod edit: take your concerns regarding moderation to the PMs that have been sent to you, not on the main forum. Your attacks on the poster are your only concern here.)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Been there done that a few times on here. It's not worth it, trust me. And I'm certainly guilty of the wrath that comes my way at times. But I'm working on it. Would rather just talk football at this point. :mrgreen:

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Yeah. I can admit when I am wrong. I guess I can't take it when others cant do the same. I've apologized on this forum a few times already, because of what I said. I just got heated when some one deletes my posts that go at someone who came after me first.

Ehh either way. It's over.

Thanks Soul