Trading Bobby Wagner

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Is it time to seriously consider moving Bobby Wagner?

Let’s consider his play since he was resigned in 2019.

Has it been worth it?

The defense overall has been struggling these last two years and Wagner is the highest paid defensive player on the team.

Has he help the defense enough to justify his salary?

He is the only defensive player that will bring back the most return on a trade.

If Carroll’s defense is now systematically flawed and Carroll cannot pick any more great defensive players in the draft, is the best thing to do is keep a player earning nearly $20M on the payroll?

I can understand Wagner currently struggling these past two years but doesn’t that mean his production was almost all a product of a great defensive line?

If him being pro bowl and all pro due to a talent defensive line, does that mean Seattle clearly made the wrong decision to pay him instead of investing on a better defensive line?

I would seem to think so.

Clearly, when the defensive line struggles, Wagner struggles.

KJ Wright has played better than Wagner this season so, it’s not just a linebacker thing.

If you are going to give up all these yards on defense, does it really matter if Wagner is your starter or Brooks becomes the starter?

I mean you obviously drafted Brooks to be the future.

I would like to get something in return for Wagner, possibly a first and second rounder than hold onto him and have the defense continually succumb to good QBs throwing for 300, 400+ plus yards.

I’ve always been the believer if Carroll is absolutely sure “his” defense can play, then he should prove it by letting the guy he drafted so high start now and try to get something for Wagner.

Wagner best days are behind him, let’s just put it out there.

If Seattle cannot draft players anymore, they may as well raid another team for their defensive stars.

Anyone else for moving Wagner?

This is his salary through 2023.

2019 $15,850,000
2020 $14,750,000
2021 $17,150,000
2022 $20,350,000

2020 Salary Cap Charge: $14,750,000 (7.39% of cap)
2020 Cash Payout: $11,000,000 (6.26% of spending)
2020 Cash to Cap Ratio: 0.75
Contract Value: $54,000,000 ($18,000,000 APY)
Fully Guaranteed Money: $24,500,000
Contract Ranking: 3/293 at LB

jammerhawk

Reaction score
No, not yet.

Perhaps it may be time after KJ is gone, or when injury starts to become a factor. Right now without him the D would really suck.

He is still a league leader at his position. It’s the scheme rather than the players that needs to change for the D to improve. The team is not being gashed by running plays, but rather on the edges b/c of soft zone coverage. For that you can’t blame Wagner, but rather a poor ability to disguise and zero pass rush.

So far we don’t know what we have with Brooks. I wonder is he really a MLB or an OLB as a pro, can he stand up to the physicality of playing in the NFL?

samwize77

Reaction score
Agree'd..to soon.
I would hope Bwags retires a Hawk. Some players just need to stay with the team they started with and Bobby is one of them. I might be delusional here, but I think a guy like Bobby would re-structure his contract if money was needed elsewhere AND his performance is lacking. He seems to be a team player in this manner. However, if Bobby isn't emotionaly "married" to Seattle in any way, then, when the time comes...let him go. But its still a little early to have this conversation IMHO.

Erebus

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":y7qsyfoy said:
I would like to get something in return for Wagner, possibly a first and second rounder than hold onto him and have the defense continually succumb to good QBs throwing for 300, 400+ plus yards.

2019 $15,850,000
2020 $14,750,000
2021 $17,150,000
2022 $20,350,000

There's no way you can get a first and second for him, or even just a second, for the exact reasons you want to trade him. He's getting old, declining, and overpaid. That greatly diminishes his trade value.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Erebus":3fq2nxyg said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3fq2nxyg said:

2019 $15,850,000
2020 $14,750,000
2021 $17,150,000
2022 $20,350,000

There's no way you can get a first and second for him, or even just a second, for the exact reasons you want to trade him. He's getting old, declining, and overpaid. That greatly diminishes his trade value.
Obviously, Seattle gives up first rounders before, so another team just might as well.

KillerB

Reaction score
Bobby has very little trade value now. Unless Seattle were willing to eat a large part of his salary, nobody would give a high pick for him.

PNW

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2zqt39p7 said:
No, not yet.

Perhaps it may be time after KJ is gone, or when injury starts to become a factor. Right now without him the D would really suck.

He is still a league leader at his position. It’s the scheme rather than the players that needs to change for the D to improve. The team is not being gashed by running plays, but rather on the edges b/c of soft zone coverage. For that you can’t blame Wagner, but rather a poor ability to disguise and zero pass rush.

So far we don’t know what we have with Brooks. I wonder is he really a MLB or an OLB as a pro, can he stand up to the physicality of playing in the NFL?

To me that makes no sense, Brooks is capable of sliding into MLB or if you feel better KJ could move to MLB this year until Brooks is experienced enough to take over. Why would you wait longer until KJ is gone to move an older, slower and more expensive Wagner? If the front office is going to move him now is the time.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
PNW":2u6z3pns said:
jammerhawk":2u6z3pns said:
No, not yet.

To me that makes no sense, Brooks is capable of sliding into MLB or if you feel better KJ could move to MLB this year until Brooks is experienced enough to take over. Why would you wait longer until KJ is gone to move an older, slower and more expensive Wagner? If the front office is going to move him now is the time.
Agreed.

rcaido

Reaction score
I say move Wagner now, just to save on the cap. I know a lot of teams would want him and he will probably excel, he is still elite, just not with this team currently. His value is still high, this would be the best time to do it.

toffee

Reaction score
This is the time to move him, he still perform at high level

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Yes, but I don’t think you could get more than a 5th round pick for him given his exorbitant salary for his above average performance, and I think the Hawks coaches still value him more than a 5th rounder. But if someone offered a third round pick, I would take it if that opened up cap space to trade for a good CB or another DE.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Are the same people who believe we could get a first round pick for Wags, the same folks who complain how bad we are a first round picks? :mrgreen:

hawks85

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3h4t4o7g said:
Is it time to seriously consider moving Bobby Wagner?

Let’s consider his play since he was resigned in 2019.

Has it been worth it?

The defense overall has been struggling these last two years and Wagner is the highest paid defensive player on the team.

Has he help the defense enough to justify his salary?

He is the only defensive player that will bring back the most return on a trade.

If Carroll’s defense is now systematically flawed and Carroll cannot pick any more great defensive players in the draft, is the best thing to do is keep a player earning nearly $20M on the payroll?

I can understand Wagner currently struggling these past two years but doesn’t that mean his production was almost all a product of a great defensive line?

If him being pro bowl and all pro due to a talent defensive line, does that mean Seattle clearly made the wrong decision to pay him instead of investing on a better defensive line?

I would seem to think so.

Clearly, when the defensive line struggles, Wagner struggles.

KJ Wright has played better than Wagner this season so, it’s not just a linebacker thing.

If you are going to give up all these yards on defense, does it really matter if Wagner is your starter or Brooks becomes the starter?

I mean you obviously drafted Brooks to be the future.

I’ve always been the believer if Carroll is absolutely sure “his” defense can play, then he should prove it by letting the guy he drafted so high start now and try to get something for Wagner.

If Seattle cannot draft players anymore, they may as well raid another team for their defensive stars.

Anyone else for moving Wagner?

2019 $15,850,000
2020 $14,750,000
2021 $17,150,000
2022 $20,350,000

2020 Salary Cap Charge: $14,750,000 (7.39% of cap)
2020 Cash Payout: $11,000,000 (6.26% of spending)
2020 Cash to Cap Ratio: 0.75
Contract Value: $54,000,000 ($18,000,000 APY)
Fully Guaranteed Money: $24,500,000
Contract Ranking: 3/293 at LB

Nope, Get rid of Norton. Ever since this guy has been DC our D gets worse and worse every year. Norton is making everybody on that D look bad, when in fact it's Norton who is complete garbage. Look at Norton's track record as a DC....GARBAGE!!!!!!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Look at the stats, the team is not being beaten on the ground, however they can't stop diddly squat in the air. Is that Wagner's fault as a MLB, is he the problem? Not at all. He is not being abused by TEs on seam routes either. So other than his age who says it's a certainty that he's declining. If age and contract is all you've got then RW is advancing in age and perhaps he should be moved too due to his contract . I'm sure the team could just possibly get at least 1 early pick for him. Of course I'm being sarcastic.

Sometimes the questions here seem like Madden questions. Wagner is a Pro Bowl quality MLB and maybe one of the top 5 in the NFL. I'm rather sure there'd be significant interest in acquiring him. Finding guys like him isn't a slam dunk and adding a Pro Bowl able MLB would be something most every team in the league would want. Besides who can say what could be delivered through the draft. If we believe that Brooks can in fact equivalently replace Wagner at a lower cost then the discussions begin. I'm not sold yet that Brooks is the guy.

The team needs edge presence and has been unable to secure that within the limits of their available cap. With luck if Dunlap allows the interior rush to improve the whole picture will change and this discussion will go down as one of those Maddenesque discussions that assumes there is ready replacement of equivalent quality.

Until it is certain that Brooks is the heir apparent I sure wouldn't trade Wagner.

I agree about Norton though.

Rat

Reaction score
No. At his age, he wouldn't bring about compensation that would be worth losing him. He deserves to be a lifer.

Basis4day

Reaction score
LymonHawk":17il9ljk said:
Are the same people who believe we could get a first round pick for Wags, the same folks who complain how bad we are a first round picks? :mrgreen:

Guaranteed 100%. Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

chris98251

Reaction score
But Wenhawk thinks these types of Posts are fun......................