TRADE ALERT!!! Leonard Williams to the Seahawks!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I view this as a 4th and 5th rounder for Big Cat.

4th to 3rd to outbid other suitors.

3rd to 2nd for the Giants to take on $10m of his contract.

Williams is like adding another Jarran Reed. He can play all around the line in most Techs. 3-4, 4-3, run defense, pass-rush, active in pursuit. However, the one thing I think they liked about Williams is he’s very adept at disrupting passing lanes and tipping passes with his almost 83 inch Wing Span.

They probably saw a crack in their defense in what the Browns did to them in the short passes over the middle and saw a chance to not only strengthen their overall line and depth but nullify a potential weakness.

Last edited:

Ruminator

Reaction score
Watson's enviable completions to his receivers yesterday (Browns' tame scoring a non-consideration, many other teams's QBs finding receivers similarly would potentially have ran up the score) definitely called attention to the need for something on Seattle's D. Very encouraged they did something: Williams.

Fade

Reaction score
Watson's enviable completions to his receivers yesterday (Browns' tame scoring a non-consideration, many other teams's QBs finding receivers similarly would potentially have ran up the score) definitely called attention to the need for something on Seattle's D. Very encouraged they did something: Williams.
The played soft on the backend. Giving up those easy throws.

That is a schematic issue, not a talent issue. Seattle is amongst the league leaders in pressures.

bileever

Reaction score
I'd think they have some confidence in their ability to get something done, or they wouldn't have made the move.

But all it takes is 1 team offering the moon, and then Seattle is stuck between a rock in a hard place. Pay a king's ransom, or let your 2nd rd pick walk out the door.

Side note:

Pete has continued to pile on the investment into the defense. They better be one of the best in the league.

Payed Nwosu
Payed Dre Jones
Payed Diggs
Payed Adams + two 1sts, and a 3rd.
Payed Love starter money.
Payed Wagner starter money.
Brooks 1st rd Pick
Taylor 2nd and 3rd rd pick
Mafe 2nd rd pick
Hall 2nd rd pick
Witherspoon 1st rd pick (top 5)
Leo Williams 2nd and 5th

I'm pretty sure no one has more invested into their defense than the Seahawks. I haven't taken the time to look at every team, but when I looked at the top 8 defenses last year in a thread as compared to the Seahawks. Seattle was #2. And that was before adding Witherspoon, Hall, paying Dre Jones, Wagner, Love, and now trading for Leo Williams.

They better be elite.

Another Note:

The Seahawks are capped out for next year.

They are going to have to cut some high priced players if they want to retain their best upcoming Free Agents.
What about the 49ers: $170 million/5 years for Bosa, $84 million/4 years for Hargrave, $95 million/5 years for Warner, $40.5 million/3 years for Ward. Our highest contracts don't compare to those for the 49ers' top 3 on defense.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I honestly don't see why folks don't see that this team is in position to win now. With this trade, where are our glaring weaknesses? Wr - nope. Rb, nope. TE? Nope. O line, no. D line? No. LB and db? No.

When you have a team with no holes, a Geno Smith who can just manage the game is all that's necessary. And he can do much more than that.

This week, our 5 and 2 record and this trade, feels like that scene in Rocky when Balboa breaks Apollo's ribs. Before that, he was a Longshot to win. As soon as that happened, all bets were off and it was anybody fight.

2023 - it's not a stretch to see us still playing in mid January.
This^^^^^ * 1000. There are limited windows for teams to realistically go for it. We are in one of those windows. Yes, a 2nd is consequential, but it had to be done to make the Gmen eat the salary for us to afford him. The risk is essentially next years 2nd for a legit shot at competing with the best teams in the league. I'll take that chance every time.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
With all respect, my Dawg brother, if the belief is that Leonard will take us deep, and I see that as a possibility, then our 1st rd pick will be at or near the bottom of the round. That spot won't get us much more than a JAG QB. There's a particular QB coming out that I think will prove to be a 10+ year stud for the team that get's him..also known as ...not us. To move up to (probably) the 2 or 3 spot, cuz some fool team will draft Williams #1, we'd need to cough up no less than 2 1s and a 2. Maybe more.

I am stoked to get another big guy up front. Williams has a lot of tread left and we will see instant improvement to an already good DL. But my '24 QB fantasy has been dashed. Not the first time and now that I think about it, the Hawks have never drafted a QB that I coveted. And I can't recall us ever drafting a QB that anyone else wanted either. Help me out with this...I must be missing somebody. Did anyone else want McGwire or Stouffer? I can't recall. I just know they were so disappointing that I can't even call them JAGs (Just Another Guy).
Lots of teams would have taken Mirer. We fleeced Chicago for 2 #1's based on his pre draft reputation + a decent rookie year.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
After 2019, when he showed that he could wreck games? He wanted the going rate for edge rushers, which was in the high teens to low twenties (of millions of dollars per year). He ended up not finding the market he expected, in part because of pandemic-related difficulties, and only signed a one-year, $13M deal with the Titans right as the 2020 season was starting. That was less than he had been hoping to get. I don't remember what the rumors about the Seahawks' final offer were.
His deals with the Browns in 2021 and 2022 were for $8M and $10M, respectively.
Rumor at the time was that the Hawks and Titans offered somewhere between 15 and 18.5 million. Speculation was that Clowney thought his market was north of 20, so he held out, only to see his market decline.

TwilightError

Reaction score
This is a win now move and this team is just not there yet. I dont see this working out.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Yep, it is not Williams that excites me, it is Williams teamed up with Jones and Reed that excites me
Williams was surrounded by excellent players (on the line) in NY. Many considered them to be the top interior line, before the season started.

They have an atrocious secondary, though. They started the season with two rookie cornerbacks, and their adjustments haven’t helped.

There is only so much that even the best line can do when receivers are getting open immediately.

He will look better here because of the players behind him.

Possibly even returning close to his 11 sack form of 3 years ago.

Last edited:

warden

Reaction score
Lots of teams would have taken Mirer. We fleeced Chicago for 2 #1's based on his pre draft reputation + a decent rookie year.
We only got one # 1 for Myers. We had our own # 1 too. Traded one up to the number three spot and traded the other one up to the number six spot. Took Springs at number three, Took Big Walt with the number six.

seabowl

Reaction score
The Giants got Williams for a third and fourth round pick as he was entering his prime, while the Seahawks just paid a second and fifth, when he is already past his prime. They flat out overpaid for him. Reminds me in a much less egregious way of the Jamal Adams trade.

CactusJack

Reaction score
This is a player that kinda completes their defense.

However, he is a Free Agent at the end of the year.

A pretty steep price to pay for an 8 game rental.

That 2nd Rd pick is incredibly valuable in an upcoming QB rich draft.

I'd love this trade if he had 1-2 more years on his contract. Him being a Free Agent in a few months devalues it for me.

Overall Grade: B-
I can't imagine that they let him walk. Because if they do, it's awful.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
We only got one # 1 for Myers. We had our own # 1 too. Traded one up to the number three spot and traded the other one up to the number six spot. Took Springs at number three, Took Big Walt with the number six.
Thanks for the clarification...I stand corrected. My brain misremembers frequently nowadays. Still...Mirer for a #1 was a fleecing for his massive drop-off in production.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I can't imagine that they let him walk. Because if they do, it's awful.
They were already going to have to jump through hoops for cap space next year. If they are trying to keep LW its going to cost something like cutting Lockett and Diggs.

Love the player, unsure about the compensation. If the team goes far in the playoffs, it's a good move.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
A has been, how much does this has been cost per year? 1.5 sacks in half a year?
His sacks this year might not be impressive, but I believe Leonard Williams has over 20 quarterback pressures this season, and ranks as one of the top in the league in that regard. At least that is what I heard on the radio this morning, but I am not sure where to find that statistic, can anybody confirm?