Not Blaming The D

hawks85

Reaction score
You can agree or disagree. We got bitched slapped on Sunday and everybody's pointing fingers...fair enough. The D played bad because Geno played bad, plain and simple. The D was on the field for 40 ******* minutes because Geno couldn't move the ball. Before you say the Ravens D this and that...Stop. Good/Great QB's adjust and figure it out and go win the game. I've never been sold on Geno never. Sure, he had a good year last year, but that's because there was no recent tape to study. Since that Tampa game last year Seattle is 3-7 include this year 8-10. Teams now have recent tape to study and there are exposing Geno's playing style and they are adjusting. Geno better figure this shit out.

BASF

Reaction score
You can agree or disagree. We got bitched slapped on Sunday and everybody's pointing fingers...fair enough. The D played bad because Geno played bad, plain and simple. The D was on the field for 40 ******* minutes because Geno couldn't move the ball. Before you say the Ravens D this and that...Stop. Good/Great QB's adjust and figure it out and go win the game. I've never been sold on Geno never. Sure, he had a good year last year, but that's because there was no recent tape to study. Since that Tampa game last year Seattle is 3-7 include this year 8-10. Teams now have recent tape to study and there are exposing Geno's playing style and they are adjusting. Geno better figure this shit out.
I am not going to go through a bunch of games from Mahomes, Allen and Burrow. I'm not going to go through a bunch of games from Brady, Brees and Manning. I don't have to. You and I are both old enough to have seen great games from defenses that made each and every great QB look as bad as Geno did against the defense that confused him. None of them were able to adjust in those games.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
However, Geno isn't in the same stratosphere as Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Brees, Brady, Manning etc. Those guys are winners who have won huge games their entire career's and are VERY good QB's. Geno is average, that has been shown time and time again.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Good/Great QB's adjust and figure it out and go win the game. I've never been sold on Geno never.

The first part of this quote I’d just say over emotion about the loss because the saying ‘defense wins championships’ has been proven time and time again. Just look at 48 when we took out one of the NFLs all time best offenses with a spanking as bad as what happened to us Sunday.

Then I read the second part of the statement and it all makes sense. This is just proving your personal bias so it must be true.

I think everyone knows that Geno has had some struggles lately but he still is one of the most accurate passers in the league. Personally I think what we (and Geno specifically) need to succeed is for us to get back to pounding the rock to set up the pass. Even run failures can help set up the pass if you are sticking to the run. Problem is even in success ( see Browns game) we are still choosing passing plays over running plays way too much and way too early.

BASF

Reaction score
To add, because I saw what the Ravens adjusted to after the first two drives and started running us in the first quarter. The first quarter! The defense was tired? After the first two drives, 81 yard drive, and never looked threatened during. Was the defense tired for that? The fourth drive, a great play from Brown to force a fumble after a nice easy completion to OBJ. Fifth drive, second quarter, 84 yards. Was the defense tired for that one? Sixth drive, a lucky fumble probably bailed us out.

Their coaches handed us our ass. Their lines handed us our ass. They are a better team than us. Great QB's figure it out? I swear.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I am not going to go through a bunch of games from Mahomes, Allen and Burrow. I'm not going to go through a bunch of games from Brady, Brees and Manning. I don't have to. You and I are both old enough to have seen great games from defenses that made each and every great QB look as bad as Geno did against the defense that confused him. None of them were able to adjust in those games.
The issue here is the fact that Geno has not looked good for quite some time now. It would be fine if it was a one off thing. The first half of 2022 is starting to look more and more like an aberration.

PeruHawk

Reaction score
You can agree or disagree. We got bitched slapped on Sunday and everybody's pointing fingers...fair enough. The D played bad because Geno played bad, plain and simple. The D was on the field for 40 ******* minutes because Geno couldn't move the ball. Before you say the Ravens D this and that...Stop. Good/Great QB's adjust and figure it out and go win the game. I've never been sold on Geno never. Sure, he had a good year last year, but that's because there was no recent tape to study. Since that Tampa game last year Seattle is 3-7 include this year 8-10. Teams now have recent tape to study and there are exposing Geno's playing style and they are adjusting. Geno better figure this shit out
Disagree 100% Gino played bad because the offensive line played bad. No QB would have had a decent game behind that line on that day. Would he have had a decent game if he was not under almost constant pressure? Who knows. He has proven to be very accurate, often throwing bullets into tight windows, when he has time to throw. Yes, he has also made some very bad throws and poor decisions when well protected. That also.

The tendency of so many to blame so much of the offensive troubles on Gino shows a deep lack of understanding of football. He is definitely part of the problem, but he is the most highly pressured QB on 3rd downs, and the OC keeps calling slow developing routes.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
At least you actually acknowledged that he is part of the problem. He absolutely IS.
However, several of his bad decision are not just because of the O Line. He has become a bad decision maker; we can't have that. Forcing a ball in to coverage, throwing picks game after game, having several picks dropped etc. Much of that is HIS CHOICE to throw those balls.
Previous QB's didn't get a pass, the current one shouldn't either. And he absolutely does, by many.

BASF

Reaction score
The issue here is the fact that Geno has not looked good for quite some time now. It would be fine if it was a one off thing. The first half of 2022 is starting to look more and more like an aberration.
This posters issue is that great QB's figure it out is so far beyond the truth when a defense hits them with something they haven't seen, it is comical.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Imo, we need a running game coordinator that favors mobility and quickness from it Guards and Center. Lewis and Haynes both need to slim down and lose about 25 lb. of worthless belly fat.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

These are the same conversations we had when Russell struggled through long stretches. Remember entire 1st halves of games with no 1st downs and a bunch of 3 and outs?

Run the ball. It's that simple. It's what Pete and Waldron have gotten away from. You have to be willing to struggle through 1st and even 2nd quarters if you want to stick with the run sometimes. Especially against good defenses.

But if you want to help your QB by opening up play action and most of the playbook to keep the defense from packing the box because they don't respect your ability to run the ball or throw the ball more than 5 yards?

You gotta run the damn ball. No reason we shouldn't be able to with two great RB's and a good enough O-line.

I see an offense with no identity...........and with a game manager like Geno at QB this shouldn't be a question. RUN THE DAMN BALL.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I think it is reasonable to point at the defense for poor tackling and scheme though. Yes it was basically over by the 3rd quarter when it was clear Geno and the offense were toast but PFF released grades and they collectively had like a 30 overall for tackling, that is atrocious. Ravens ran a lot of plays that the Browns exploited too to the tune of almost 300 yards, so clearly there is a breakdown somewhere up front in the scheme. Leonard Williams was the highest graded DL and he just showed up a week ago.

Yes the D was on the field forever and they did give the offense a couple takeaways to put some points up but that side of the ball deserves criticism in things they can control.

RiverDog

Reaction score
These are the same conversations we had when Russell struggled through long stretches. Remember entire 1st halves of games with no 1st downs and a bunch of 3 and outs?

Run the ball. It's that simple. It's what Pete and Waldron have gotten away from. You have to be willing to struggle through 1st and even 2nd quarters if you want to stick with the run sometimes. Especially against good defenses.

But if you want to help your QB by opening up play action and most of the playbook to keep the defense from packing the box because they don't respect your ability to run the ball or throw the ball more than 5 yards?

You gotta run the damn ball. No reason we shouldn't be able to with two great RB's and a good enough O-line.

I see an offense with no identity...........and with a game manager like Geno at QB this shouldn't be a question. RUN THE DAMN BALL.
Last Sunday, we had 28 running plays, 28 passing plays, or a 50/50 balance. That is WAY above the league average and our own team average for running plays. The problem isn't that we're not running the ball enough, it's that we're not getting the production we need when we do run.

Our running game last Sunday averaged less than 2 yards per carry. Our featured running back, Kenneth Walker, gained 16 yards on 9 carries. Our longest run of the day was 6 yards. We'd run the ball on first down, get stuffed, and it puts Geno in an obvious passing situation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Last Sunday, we had 28 running plays, 28 passing plays, or a 50/50 balance. That is WAY above the league average and our own team average for running plays. The problem isn't that we're not running the ball enough, it's that we're not getting the production we need when we do run.

Our running game last Sunday averaged less than 2 yards per carry. Our featured running back, Kenneth Walker, gained 16 yards on 9 carries. Our longest run of the day was 6 yards. We'd run the ball on first down, get stuffed, and it puts Geno in an obvious passing situation.

In this game it should have been 60-40 or even 70-30, like the Ravens punished us with running the ball and Lamar right down our throats at will.

I see an impatience with the run game. When we're down by a touchdown or 10 pts, etc I see too much trust in Geno throwing the ball on 2nd and long.

So yeah, there does need to be more creativity. Or give Charbonnet the starting nod up against good front sevens. Or more carries. He can get 3-4 tough yards when Walker can't cause he's stuffed and bouncing around for 1-2 yard losses.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Just STOP = Great advise, maybe YOU should follow it, eh?
43 TO 8 is what a really good Defense DID to a "Good/Great" Peyton Manning, it's PROOF that SH*T HAPPENS and not even the greatest of the GREATEST can "Adjust And Figure it Out".
I guess that the Seahawks Defense had " Recent Tape to Study" when they beat Bill Billicheat & Tom Brady in that game @ Foxboro, because he "COULDN'T FIGURE THIS SHIT OUT"
So now we know, you've "Never Been Sold on Geno, Never" = I DON'T CARE!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
However, Geno isn't in the same stratosphere as Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Brees, Brady, Manning etc. Those guys are winners who have won huge games their entire career's and are VERY good QB's. Geno is average, that has been shown time and time again.
43 to 8 is proof that "VERY good QB's" or even Stratospherically GREAT QB's don't always come away with a win in "Huge Games" especially when facing Superior Defenses.