Should we use our draft capital for a “top college QB”?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If our front office can identify a QB that will be good NFL starter, and to draft that QB it requires spending some capital like a first round pick, then yes. Otherwise, let him drop to a later round like with Russ, or don't draft anyone at all if there's nobody available that we think will excel here.

Rat

Reaction score
Who says we NEED to invest early in a QB?
We can sign Geno again and wait for a better class of QBs.
I'm not impressed with this years TBH so why bother?
I'll let John figure it out but me?I want the first four picks
on Defense.
You're definitely in the minority not liking this QB class. We have two first rounders and hopefully wont be drafting earlier in future drafts. I dont see a better time to make a move for our future leader.

GemCity

Reaction score
Before the season started, I was 100% full go on taking a QB in next years draft with our first pick.

But let’s say Geno stays on this pace and wants to resign here next year at a reasonable price.

Hypothetical…yes…but imagine this is how it goes…..

Do you really take a QB in the first or even second rounds? I can’t believe I’m saying this but, I wouldn’t. If Geno comes back and is playing like he is now, I’m drafting interior d-line, LB, LB, interior d-line with my first four picks.

Now…I’m off to slap my face a few times to bring me back to reality as I still can’t believe Geno is killing it like he is.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I say yes. use a high draft pick (not trade up) on a QB and resign Geno to compete with him. If Geno is best, as one would expect then you've got a year for the young QB to learn and grow and hopefully step into a starting role in 2024 as the best case scenario.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
You're definitely in the minority not liking this QB class. We have two first rounders and hopefully wont be drafting earlier in future drafts. I dont see a better time to make a move for our future leader.
I'm sure I am in the minority,this class is better than last years but still
not that good..I see the defense really needs a lot of help so I want to
see it fixed and we can still draft a QB later who isn't over hyped.
You can't go far without a good D.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Before the season started, I was 100% full go on taking a QB in next years draft with our first pick.

But let’s say Geno stays on this pace and wants to resign here next year at a reasonable price.

Hypothetical…yes…but imagine this is how it goes…..

Do you really take a QB in the first or even second rounds? I can’t believe I’m saying this but, I wouldn’t. If Geno comes back and is playing like he is now, I’m drafting interior d-line, LB, LB, interior d-line with my first four picks.

Now…I’m off to slap my face a few times to bring me back to reality as I still can’t believe Geno is killing it like he is.
Ummm... Dude, the Lions defense is ranked 31st this year.

Geno is killing it, but I'll reserve joining you in your madness until I see him consistently put up 3 to 4 TD's a game against good defenses.

Just remember, Tom Brady was a 6th round pick.

Seahawker

Reaction score
The offseason & draft are a long ways off but its going to be interesting, Geno's play will dictate how P & J address 23'.

2022 contract.
G. Smith 7M-
D. Lock 1.3M-
Both free agents in 2023.

2022 year avg.
1. A. Rodgers 50M
5. P. Mahomes 45M
10. K. Cousins 35M
15. J. Garoppollo 27.5
16. T. Brady 25M
17. J. Winston 14M
18. M. Mariota 9M
19. T. Lawrence 9M
20. J. Burrow 9M

2022 1st round draft per year avg.
#1- 6.7M
#7- 4.4M
#14- 3M
#20- 2.5M
#28- 2.3M

Geno's success will determine his demand, he controls his future contact.
Just some numbers for perspective, part of me wonders if we might carry 3 QB's on the final 53 next year...

AgentDib

Reaction score
To me the difference with Geno playing so well is that I'm no longer sure we need to bundle picks together for our top choice. That could still be an option if somebody at the top isn't QB needy - ie. if the Jags end up there again - and if we can do so at a decent price. Some years it seems like everybody is trying to trade down and then trading up is a decent move.

I do still think it's a no brainer to spend at least one of our early picks on a QB. Even if Geno keeps this up, he's 31 years old and in my view this is an extremely strong QB class. I'm fully on board with drafting a QB every year and would be completely fine with ending up in the situation of having too many good QB options.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

Geno is killing it, but I'll reserve joining you in your madness until I see him consistently put up 3 to 4 TD's a game against good defenses.

And? Guys like Brady are an exception to the rule. There are guys that are taken later and succeed, we even just shipped one off. Most of the elite signal callers found are generally found in the first round.

If Geno continues his pace, I think we should still nab a guy in the first round. Geno Smith is soon going to be 32 years old. QB's can play for longer than other positions, but I've also seen some QB's fall off the cliff at a relatively young age. Geno Smith doesn't exactly have great arm strength. Some people can keep that strength into their 40s like Brady, others start losing it earlier -- especially if an injury happens in the 30s.

It's smart to hedge our bets, especially on this draft class in particular. What Geno does give us the privilege of doing if he keeps this up is bringing a QB along slowly. It also ensures that Geno needs to remain on his A-game or there is a young gun ready to take his spot. A rookie QB also allows you a great deal of leverage in trades. John Schneider even has said that he prefers to always have a QB prospect on the roster.

This could be our version of Favre and Rodgers.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
To me the difference with Geno playing so well is that I'm no longer sure we need to bundle picks together for our top choice. That could still be an option if somebody at the top isn't QB needy - ie. if the Jags end up there again - and if we can do so at a decent price. Some years it seems like everybody is trying to trade down and then trading up is a decent move.

I do still think it's a no brainer to spend at least one of our early picks on a QB. Even if Geno keeps this up, he's 31 years old and in my view this is an extremely strong QB class. I'm fully on board with drafting a QB every year and would be completely fine with ending up in the situation of having too many good QB options.
... maybe, but that's if geno a) continues his success and b) decides to re-sign with the seahawks, as he is a free agent after this season.

if geno does continue his success and if we can re-sign him... what you're saying is true in that we may not need to bundle our picks to draft the top qb in the draft. it could give the FO some flexibility having geno under contract next year. perhaps they would consider an under-developed qb with a higher upside that isn't quite as NFL ready as the others at the top

Jegpeg

Reaction score
If Geno continues to prove a capable starter we have enough holes in our team not to use one on a QB. Getting a QB on day two of the draft rarely works out:
2021 Trask, Mond, Mills
2020 Hurts
2019 Lock, Grier
2018 Rudolf
2017 Kizer, Webb, Beathard
2016 Hackenberg, Briscett, Kessler
2015 Greyson. Mannion

Of those I would only class Hurts asa viable starter

Day 3 is an even longer shot and Day 1 is far from a certainty (Paxton Lynch or Johnny Manzel anyone?)

GemCity

Reaction score

That’s why I added the part about him staying on pace. If he’s doing what he’s doing now throughout the season…it’s a dilemma come draft time. A good dilemma…but a dilemma.

BASF

Reaction score
Geno Smith doesn't exactly have great arm strength. Some people can keep that strength into their 40s like Brady, others start losing it earlier -- especially if an injury happens in the 30s.

How much arm strength does he need for this narrative to go away? Watch this throw:

That is forty-one yards in the air on a rope off his back foot. That is serious arm strength. Don't take my word for it. There are plenty of videos dissecting this game praising Geno and his arm strength gets mentioned as an asset in several of them.

Seahawker

Reaction score
This is why many Seahawk fans could be apprehensive about drafting a first round QB when the defense is in shambles.

Dan McGwire #16
Rick Mirer #2

Jacob Green #10
Kenny Easley #4
Jeff Bryant #6
Cortez Kennedy #3
Shawn Springs #3
Earl Thomas #14

Our use of first round picks in both selection & trades has been abysmal for the last several years and it has hurt us.
Makes me wonder if the problem is scouting, player evaluation, control in the war room? It needs to get fixed and now is the time to figure it out, not after the season when we are halfway down the same road. we all know drafting is hard & a gamble but we can do better. P & J finally found some players last draft but their history of wasting #1's makes me think a handful of dotnetters could make better selections. Hopefully they step it up.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
How much arm strength does he need for this narrative to go away? Watch this throw:

That is forty-one yards in the air on a rope off his back foot. That is serious arm strength. Don't take my word for it. There are plenty of videos dissecting this game praising Geno and his arm strength gets mentioned as an asset in several of them.
Most NFL QB's can throw that ball that far off of their back foot. It's adequate, but his arm strength isn't exactly his strength. For Geno, I'd say his short to intermediate accuracy and LOS control has been his biggest plus. Reminds me a bit of Hasselbeck on how he's approaching the game. Methodical, enough arm strength to burn you and cause you to back off, but not a cannon like say Lock. His arm strength isn't exactly great though.

That throw isn't really telling you anything about arm strength. The great part was his poise under pressure, that throw didn't highlight his arm strength though. Geno's arm talent isn't anything special. He's certainly not Christian Ponder or the corpse of Chad Pennington that was playing in the league his last few years.

Now, where I think you'd have a point is if you said he was more mobile that people think. He's got a little bit of burst in his step.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I say yes. use a high draft pick (not trade up) on a QB and resign Geno to compete with him. If Geno is best, as one would expect then you've got a year for the young QB to learn and grow and hopefully step into a starting role in 2024 as the best case scenario.
The more games we or the Broncos win, the higher the chance that we will need to trade up. There's an amazing QB draft class and we have 2 first rounders. But apparently wanting that 1st to be high enough to not have to give up value to trade up makes you not a real fan...

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
This is why many Seahawk fans could be apprehensive about drafting a first round QB when the defense is in shambles.

Dan McGwire #16
Rick Mirer #2

Jacob Green #10
Kenny Easley #4
Jeff Bryant #6
Cortez Kennedy #3
Shawn Springs #3
Earl Thomas #14

Our use of first round picks in both selection & trades has been abysmal for the last several years and it has hurt us.
Makes me wonder if the problem is scouting, player evaluation, control in the war room? It needs to get fixed and now is the time to figure it out, not after the season when we are halfway down the same road. we all know drafting is hard & a gamble but we can do better. P & J finally found some players last draft but their history of wasting #1's makes me think a handful of dotnetters could make better selections. Hopefully they step it up.
It will be interesting down the line to hear how much appeasing Russ influenced their drafts. It's too small of a sample size obviously to draw any conclusion but their first draft without him was almost the best draft they had. On paper and early returns at least. It's hard to top a draft that gave you 2 HoFers, but the number of already contributing players from one draft is a very close second if they keep growing into the flashes of greatness they've already shown.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
That’s why I added the part about him staying on pace. If he’s doing what he’s doing now throughout the season…it’s a dilemma come draft time. A good dilemma…but a dilemma.
Well, not really. His pace is 1 or 2 TD's a game. I get what you are saying though, coupled with a decent run game it might be enough to beat below average run and pass defenses.

I think reality is, with Geno and the improved offensive line, we are right about where we were with RW. Still not quite enough points on the board. We need a QB that can defeat top defenses especially when they take away the run. Of course, if we had an RB like Marshawn, then Geno would be a viable option.

Penny is showing some promise and the jury is still out on Walker (3.9 Avg, 58 yds on 15 att). It could happen.

Last edited:

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I'm a Geno homer, and I like this. This makes sense - best of both worlds. Also Geno would have some competition, and competition on the salary front....

This would be the sensible thing to do - even though I think Geno is great.