Should we use our draft capital for a “top college QB”?

gubernaculum

Reaction score
When the season started I fully expected Geno to be a serviceable backup-type QB that would help win us around 5 games. I figured it was a forgone conclusion that we would use our two number one picks to move up to get our QB of the future who we could have on a 5 year rookie contract and give us the cap room to build around him. After today, I’m wondering if that is really necessary. Geno does have some weaknesses, like accuracy with the deep ball, but I don’t think he is unable to take us deep into the playoffs if we have a top tier defense. We clearly have some pressing needs on Defense and that draft capital could be used to shore up our defensive line linebackers, etc. I still do think we should draft a QB, but maybe a lower round developmental pick would be more appropriate. Regardless, think it would be wise to try to sign Geno to a ?3 year contract if the price is reasonable.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't think that question can be answered until this winter. See how we do this season, then make that call when it comes. The recent trend is to win it all with a young, talented, "cheap" QB in his first contract. After that, they get so expensive that it is hard to maintain a team around him. No matter how good a kid is coming out of college, there are very few absolute can't miss draft picks.

I kind of with you in maybe drafting QB lower than top 10. After all, historically our best first round drafts have usually involved OL or some other position. 🤷‍♂️

But again, can't make that call after the high of an early season win. Need at least a season of data.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
even if he sustain's this level of play, geno's not even under contract next season. if he plays well, then desperate teams will offer him 20+ m/year and he gets to choose where he goes. if he sucks, well, we shouldn't want him in the building.

so yeah, we need to invest in a top qb regardless of geno's performance. geno's a bridge.

that being said, the defense needs a complete overhaul.

Rat

Reaction score
For now, I still would. I cant imagine we'll be in a better position to get one in the near future. I still dont see Geno as the long-term solution, but he's playing well enough where we maybe could afford to bring our next QB along slowly.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yes, if there is someone that JS and Carroll see that they like, they need to go for it. We've seen backup tier QB's like Geno Smith string together games like this before. Hell, Fitzpatrick almost had a full season's worth of play where he looked like he could be "the guy". More often than not the players such as Geno Smith regresse to the mean after enough games. Geno is also no spring chicken either, he's just about the same age as Russell Wilson.

I think at best we get a QB that is a Tannehill like figure, and that is a recipe for the same kind of purgatory we were in with Wilson. In addition, this allows us to leverage free agents like we did in 2012 and 2013. Avril, Bennett and Zach Miller were all vital free agent signings. It could be said that we wouldn't have won the Super Bowl without those guys.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Yes, if there is someone that JS and Carroll see that they like, they need to go for it. We've seen backup tier QB's like Geno Smith string together games like this before. Hell, Fitzpatrick almost had a full season's worth of play where he looked like he could be "the guy". More often than not the players such as Geno Smith regresse to the mean after enough games. Geno is also no spring chicken either, he's just about the same age as Russell Wilson.

I think at best we get a QB that is a Tannehill like figure, and that is a recipe for the same kind of purgatory we were in with Wilson. In addition, this allows us to leverage free agents like we did in 2012 and 2013. Avril, Bennett and Zach Miller were all vital free agent signings. It could be said that we wouldn't have won the Super Bowl without those guys.
Geno Smith deserves a real chance in the NFL. He's proved that through week 4. He isn't Fitz, he's Geno Smith. Generalizing to make your point in the face of data that says you're likely wrong is getting old.

But, I'll give you this. Your name is very fitting.

Rat

Reaction score
even if he sustain's this level of play, geno's not even under contract next season. if he plays well, then desperate teams will offer him 20+ m/year and he gets to choose where he goes. if he sucks, well, we shouldn't want him in the building.
That's a good point. If he plays well the rest of the season, he wont be open to another $7 million one-year deal, especially at his age, and Geno is not the kind of guy you use the franchise tag on.

Rat

Reaction score
Yes, if there is someone that JS and Carroll see that they like, they need to go for it. We've seen backup tier QB's like Geno Smith string together games like this before. Hell, Fitzpatrick almost had a full season's worth of play where he looked like he could be "the guy". More often than not the players such as Geno Smith regresse to the mean after enough games.
I remember when Nick Mullens was setting records.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
That's a good point. If he plays well the rest of the season, he wont be open to another $7 million one-year deal, especially at his age, and Geno is not the kind of guy you use the franchise tag on.
They should lock him up for 2 years now while that number won't be large.

A part of me thinks they want to continue to develop Drew Lock as the next guy while Geno starts. Not saying that's a wise decision or not, but Schneider specifically wanted Lock in the deal.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Too early to make that kind of decision. Let's see how Geno does for more of the year and see where our record (and Denver's) is as we get closer to the end of the season.

It's interesting that this is a legit discussion now, though. Speaks volumes about how well Geno's been playing to this point.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Geno Smith deserves a real chance in the NFL. He's proved that through week 4. He isn't Fitz, he's Geno Smith. Generalizing to make your point in the face of data that says you're likely wrong is getting old.

But, I'll give you this. Your name is very fitting.
You think four games undoes a decades worth of work? No, no it doesn't. Especially when a QB with a shaky track record is going to potentially receive a large pay day. As I said before, Fitzpatrick and other backup QB's would go on runs where they looked unstoppable and then most of them came crashing to earth.

Yes, Geno isn't Fitzpatrick, but more often than not this is the case.

We also had the longest run in the NFL of NOT scoring a single touchdown in the second half under Geno. You're acting like we're fielding an elite passer. Geno isn't elite and I'd look REALLY hard before signing him to a 15+ million dollar a year contract. That right there is a potential QB purgatory.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
Too early to tell, I think. I'm leaning towards "yes" on drafting a QB. I think most of us are liking what we see from Geno. His high completion percentage is nice to watch.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
You think four games undoes a decades worth of work? No, no it doesn't. Especially when a QB with a shaky track record is going to potentially receive a large pay day. As I said before, Fitzpatrick and other backup QB's would go on runs where they looked unstoppable and then most of them came crashing to earth.

We also had the longest run in the NFL of NOT scoring a single touchdown in the second half under Geno. You're acting like we're fielding an elite passer. Geno isn't elite and I'd look REALLY hard before signing him to a 15+ million dollar a year contract. That right there is a potential QB purgatory.
Go look at that "decade of work" and tell me you think that's a real shot with the right support. It isn't at all.

Geno was this guy were seeing in college as well. He was a talented player that played for bad teams, bad coaches, and didn't get a fair shot. He's getting that now, and he should be graded on his performance on the field. Not Fitz's, or anyone else's.

Us not scoring isn't all on Geno. Hard to get some consistency when you're last in the league in possessions because your defense is hot garbage.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
Go look at that "decade of work" and tell me you think that's a real shot with the right support. It isn't at all.

Geno was this guy were seeing in college as well. He was a talented player that played for bad teams, bad coaches, and didn't get a fair shot. He's getting that now, and he should be graded on his performance on the field. Not Fitz's, or anyone else's.

Us not scoring isn't all on Geno. Hard to get some consistency when you're last in the league in possessions because your defense is hot garbage.

I agree. Gotta remember, Geno was drafted by the Jets. That team has a history of ruining young talent. Being on an underperforming team in New York sucks.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

Cool, so you're okay giving a guy with a shaky history 15 to 20 million a year over a duration of 4 or so years? Based on four games of play, two of which were against the worst teams in the NFL? What if we get the chance to draft a blue chip QB prospect, are you telling me we're going to pass on that at this moment based on his games from against the worst defenses in the NFL?

Cool.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Cool, so you're okay giving a guy with a shaky history 15 to 20 million a year over a duration of 4 or so years? Based on four games of play, two of which were against the worst teams in the NFL? What if we get the chance to draft a blue chip QB prospect, are you telling me we're going to pass on that at this moment based on his games from against the worst defenses in the NFL?

Cool.
You're making an argument about something I never said. Nice try.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I agree. Gotta remember, Geno was drafted by the Jets. That team has a history of ruining young talent. Being on an underperforming team in New York sucks.
Fitzpatrick replaced Geno and threw for almost 4k yards and 35 TDs with that same coaching staff and team. What if Geno just isn't as good as people would want to make him out to be?

toffee

Reaction score
What's a TOP QB? Joe Montana was from 3rd round, Brady the GOAT from 6th round, our former savior Russ was from 3rd round. We should draft a QB that will be good for 5-10 years and can CARRY the team, but not necessary a public opinion crowned "Top QB".

Last edited: