Should we use our draft capital for a “top college QB”?

Torc

Reaction score
John has drafted exactly one great QB in 13 years, and it's not like Russ was some unknown, diamond in the rough; the Jets and Redskins were reportedly both set to take him with their next pick, and nobody is calling them QB geniuses. He also traded for Charlie Whitehurst and Drew Lock. I'm not ready to unquestionably support whoever he likes for the position.
He also scouted Mahomes and Allen, both of which pissed off his then starting QB. Look how Rodgers reacted to the packers drafting a first round QB. In the modern NFL, you don't draft a competitor to your starter or he has a hissy fit. Schneider gets a pass from me on not drafting a QB in the past few years.

The Seahawks should absolutely spend draft capital on a QB that they evaluate and believe to be a long term answer to the QB need. But they also shouldn't overreach or overpay for one. I'd far rather get a couple first round studs on defense than trade our two picks to move up for a QB, and wait for the next draft if the right QB isn't available.

morgulon1

Reaction score
if that 3rd year option is $40M it could work.

I think Geno is going to tail off though, he just faced ATL & DET two of the worst defenses in the NFL.

Need more games against better defenses to establish a more accurate baseline of his value going forward.

This will be an easier conversation to have when there is a larger sample size.
I know people say that its a business ( it is) and Seatte shouldnt expect anytype of discounted rate
but my argument would be " after all the troubles ,who believed in you "?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I don't see any chance that Pete and John try to re-sign Geno during the season, so we'll get a full season to evaluate, at least.

I imagine P&J will want to keep Geno here if he keeps this up but I can't help but wonder if even they could have predicted this type of play from Smith. They'll have some tough decisions with going from a rebuild strategy that drafts an early 1st rd quarterback on a cheap contract to start in 2023 to re-signing a 32 year old vet to a multi year deal.

2012 off-season might be the most similar to what eventually happens. Re-sign the vet player to a healthy, but manageable contract and then spend a day 2 pick on QB they like in a deep qb draft.

slipwax

Reaction score
I don't see any chance that Pete and John try to re-sign Geno during the season, so we'll get a full season to evaluate, at least.

I imagine P&J will want to keep Geno here if he keeps this up but I can't help but wonder if even they could have predicted this type of play from Smith. They'll have some tough decisions with going from a rebuild strategy that drafts an early 1st rd quarterback on a cheap contract to start in 2023 to re-signing a 32 year old vet to a multi year deal.

2012 off-season might be the most similar to what eventually happens. Re-sign the vet player to a healthy, but manageable contract and then spend a day 2 pick on QB they like in a deep qb draft.
I think this is most likely. I feel like Geno will struggle down the stretch as teams figure out how to defend the Hawks. So, he gets resigned to a middle of the road deal, and hopefully they have found the Josh Allen or Mahomes they want to roll with long term

TwilightError

Reaction score
The worst case scenario is to not take a top QB early in the draft 2023. Geno has been surprisingly good and the D has been awful but there is no other move to give this team such an impact than a potential franchise QB. 1-3 first round picks do not fix the D. 1 QB can fix the potential of this team for 10+ years. Geno is a nice bridge to have for that and also it seems we dont necessarily need an NFL ready QB from the draft, but can pick someone with huge upside and let him learn behind Geno for a while.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Can Geno take this team deep in the playoffs?
Consistently for the next few years?

If yes? Then no, you don't need a QB.

If no? Then yes, regular season games are fun, but the point is to position for playoff successes.

Great QBs give you a chance at playoff successes. But even then, nothing is guaranteed. Ask the Chargers.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone here four games into the season claim Geno should be signed to any extension at this point.
I'll say it. Geno should be signed to an extension. But nothing like the ridiculous numbers mentioned earlier in this thread. In fact, Geno probably wouldn't want to sign the contract I'd offer him. But I'd fully support making him a team friendly, incentive-laden offer at this point.

Why? Not because he's the future of the franchise. We're just going to need more than one QB no matter what happens, and I wouldn't mind if one of them is Geno.

Rainger

Reaction score
Yes we should use one of the picks on a future QB. ONE. They don't need to go all in on a specific one. Use all the other draft capital on DEs CBs Center and Saftey. Also depth in other positions. This team is the 2011. Next years draft is 2012 the following year is SB baby.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Even if Geno were playing poorly the main problem of this team is the defense. I'd use both #1's and both #2's to stock the D with freak stud hammers. Terrorizing the opponents QB and limiting them to Field Goal attempts is not only a good path to winning, it's fun to watch a teams soul taken from them.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Love what Geno is doing..
He is exactly what a few of us were saying,"All we need is a game manager".
I don't believe we ever need to pay top dollar for any QB as it never ends well.
You have the tools around a decent QB with a good defense then you have a good
chance to go far..
We have a lot of holes in our D so lets take care of that asap!Our OL is set for years.
Our RB situation looks good but we have to extend Penny if he stays healthy.
Back to QB:
When we draft,I want the D taken care of first and then take a less hyped QB in later
rounds..I'm not impressed with the hyped up ones and I don't want a short limited
passing lanes of a QB so I hope John has a few under the radar types that he likes a
lot.I trust his tastes in QB's

Rat

Reaction score
When we draft,I want the D taken care of first and then take a less hyped QB in later
rounds..I'm not impressed with the hyped up ones and I don't want a short limited
passing lanes of a QB so I hope John has a few under the radar types that he likes a
lot.I trust his tastes in QB's
Maybe if we're looking for a backup. That's an awful idea if we have any dreams of finding our next franchise QB though. The odds of finding one in the later rounds are really, really low.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Maybe if we're looking for a backup. That's an awful idea if we have any dreams of finding our next franchise QB though. The odds of finding one in the later rounds are really, really low.
There has not been much found early for some time..Burrow?
Murray is exactly who I don't want and same for Bust Baker.
Odds are you waste picks early on something you get screwed
and stuck with at QB.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Somewhere in those for first 2 or 3 picks, they should be able to get the guy they want. While I said very first pick, it doesn't really need to be that at all. Esp if there is a very good Defensive player available with that first pick. I mean, they have two 1s and two 2s, plenty of options.

Fade

Reaction score
I know people say that its a business ( it is) and Seatte shouldnt expect anytype of discounted rate
but my argument would be " after all the troubles ,who believed in you "?
UFA drives up the prices considerably. If they want Geno at a discount they have to re-sign him during the season before he can hit UFA. Seattle loves to drag their feet on contracts so I don't see that happening. Geno of course would like to stay in Seattle, but if a desperate team out there (which there are) gives him the bag, he'll take it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
UFA drives up the prices considerably. If they want Geno at a discount they have to re-sign him during the season before he can hit UFA. Seattle loves to drag their feet on contracts so I don't see that happening. Geno of course would like to stay in Seattle, but if a desperate team out there (which there are) gives him the bag, he'll take it.

Even if Geno plays fairly well the rest of the year, I doubt the market for him will be high, and certainly not high enough for us to not throw enough guaranteed money at him to stay another year or two...........AND draft a QB.

So that's my guess as to what's going to happen next year. We'll resign Geno, give him a nice one or two year raise, and use one of our 1st rounders on a QB to play behind him.

Everyone's all fired up after Geno played his best game here, but it was against the Lions. So we're going to see quite a few more Niner games out of Geno.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Niners, twice vs. Rams, Saints etc. Plenty of good defenses coming up. A LOT to be determined, but overall, he's done a hell of a job. Surprisingly good. And that's a good thing.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Even if Geno plays fairly well the rest of the year, I doubt the market for him will be high, and certainly not high enough for us to not throw enough guaranteed money at him to stay another year or two...........AND draft a QB.

So that's my guess as to what's going to happen next year. We'll resign Geno, give him a nice one or two year raise, and use one of our 1st rounders on a QB to play behind him.

Everyone's all fired up after Geno played his best game here, but it was against the Lions. So we're going to see quite a few more Niner games out of Geno.
A few more Niner games?

80% completion rate and 200 yds against one of, if not the best NFL defense?

Guess we can try to live with that.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
If they feel strongly about a guy, fine go get him. But don't go get a guy to get a guy. The Niners gave up a ton of capital for Trey Lance and that seems to have been a mistake thus far.
And the Chiefs traded up to 10 to get Pat Mahomes when they had Alex Smith. I’d rather swing for the fences and miss then be a middle of the road team.

If we aren’t trying to find the best QB we can get then what exactly are we doing?