Should we use our draft capital for a “top college QB”?

morgulon1

Reaction score
I think you have to ask yourself is Geno going to win you a SB. The answer is no. He’s not going to lose games but he’s also not going to win them.

Of course we try to draft a QB of the future. If we have to bring in a veteran to compete with a rookie and go from there.

Not sure on DL’s contract but he’s nothing more than a young back up in the NFL.
I think Lock is a UFA at the end of the season

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
And the Chiefs traded up to 10 to get Pat Mahomes when they had Alex Smith. I’d rather swing for the fences and miss then be a middle of the road team.

If we aren’t trying to find the best QB we can get then what exactly are we doing?
You and I are saying the same thing. If there's a great fit, go get him. But I'm saying don't draft a QB just for the sake of drafting one. At least not a high pick anyhow.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A few more Niner games?

80% completion rate and 200 yds against one of, if not the best NFL defense?

Guess we can try to live with that.

Right, decent game but not "OMG the entire league's going to be knocking down Geno's door to sign him."

My point is we're going to see more modest Niner type games out of Geno than what we saw Sunday against arguably the worst team and defense in the entire league.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Right, decent game but not "OMG the entire league's going to be knocking down Geno's door to sign him."

My point is we're going to see more modest Niner type games out of Geno than what we saw Sunday against arguably the worst team and defense in the entire league.
New Oreleans is a good test. If he does well I'm going to laugh if people around these parts go moving the goalposts again and making up more excuses for why they think he's bad.

You know they will.....

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Welcome to sports message boards. If he plays bad, it should be noted. That's part of being a QB.
On the other side, quite a bit of overhype after 4 games. And that's fine, he's earned some serious credit.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Welcome to sports message boards. If he plays bad, it should be noted. That's part of being a QB.
On the other side, quite a bit of overhype after 4 games. And that's fine, he's earned some serious credit.
I'm aware it should be noted if he plays bad. What I'm saying is about how it's noted if he plays good. That's where some folks here are mentally blue screening.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, I've been eating crow with pride. I think he's good not great, and that's ok. Keep it rolling. I just want to see him do it against a GOOD defense. That doesn't make me a downer or a hater etc. That makes me realistic. People get WAY too bent out of shape if you have anything but total praise for the guy.
Pitt has already made up his mind. Geno could go 30-35, 4 touchdowns and 300 plus, and he would downplay it. That just goes with the territory.
That being said, I don't want them thinking that Geno is the answer to our future QB question. That's over the top.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Nah, I've been eating crow with pride. I think he's good not great, and that's ok. Keep it rolling. I just want to see him do it against a GOOD defense. That doesn't make me a downer or a hater etc. That makes me realistic. People get WAY too bent out of shape if you have anything but total praise for the guy.
I wasn't making that comment about you specifically.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Even if Geno plays fairly well the rest of the year, I doubt the market for him will be high, and certainly not high enough for us to not throw enough guaranteed money at him to stay another year or two...........AND draft a QB.

So that's my guess as to what's going to happen next year. We'll resign Geno, give him a nice one or two year raise, and use one of our 1st rounders on a QB to play behind him.

Everyone's all fired up after Geno played his best game here, but it was against the Lions. So we're going to see quite a few more Niner games out of Geno.
The way it is today a 1st rounder is not sitting but a couple games..They do decent?
They want a new max contract by fourth season.
They suck?Your stuck.
I prefer a 4th or later on one..Lot less drama,pain and $$$ if they can't simply game
manage with all that talent and protection around them..Better options in replacing
a bad fit QB by doing it this way.
I want a very strong team all around..I'm going defense with 3 if not all four top picks.
Resign Geno for 2 then draft a QB late.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The way it is today a 1st rounder is not sitting but a couple games..They do decent?
They want a new max contract by fourth season.
They suck?Your stuck.
I prefer a 4th or later on one..Lot less drama,pain and $$$ if they can't simply game
manage with all that talent and protection around them..Better options in replacing
a bad fit QB by doing it this way.
I want a very strong team all around..I'm going defense with 3 if not all four top picks.
Resign Geno for 2 then draft a QB late.

I'm not concerned about when the QB is drafted.

My point is they NEED to draft one, as this is one of the deepest QB classes in a decade......and now they actually have the draft capitol to get the guy they want.

I'm just not OK with Geno being our next franchise QB, and nobody else should be either after only four games.

Hawkpower

Reaction score

Not sure why we are talking about the entire league knocking down his door, but If the niner game is his floor, and the Detroit game is his ceiling, not sure we can ask for much more out of the QB position

I'm def in wait and see mode too, but Im not sure why we keep using the niner game and his 80% completion rate as proof that he struggles...

Rat

Reaction score
For those who think we can just grab a QB later, the last third-round pick to become a franchise QB was Russ (you could make an argument for Nick Foles in that same class, although he has switched teams six times), and that was 11 drafts ago. The second round is only marginally better. Yeah, first round QBs have a high bust rate compared to other positions, but the success rate is infinitely better than any other round. I wouldn't just assume that JS can find another mid-round gem just because he found one in 13 years, and he was on the radar of like half the league. For every Russell Wilson, there are 50 David Greenes or Kevin O'Connells.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure why we are talking about the entire league knocking down his door, but If the niner game is his floor, and the Detroit game is his ceiling, not sure we can ask for much more out of the QB position

I'm def in wait and see mode too, but Im not sure why we keep using the niner game and his 80% completion rate as proof that he struggles...

My points were specifically directed at posters in this thread who are somehow worried now that we won't be able to afford Geno next year because he'll be pursued by so many other teams in free agency.

And I'm saying we will be able to do both resign Geno if we need to, AND draft a QB high in order to develop him to be our next franchise QB.

The Hawks are going to have a TON of cap space next year to do whatever they want to do with Geno.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
For those who think we can just grab a QB later, the last third-round pick to become a franchise QB was Russ (you could make an argument for Nick Foles in that same class, although he has switched teams six times), and that was 11 drafts ago. The second round is only marginally better. Yeah, first round QBs have a high bust rate compared to other positions, but the success rate is infinitely better than any other round. I wouldn't just assume that JS can find another mid-round gem just because he found one in 13 years, and he was on the radar of like half the league. For every Russell Wilson, there are 50 David Greenes or Kevin O'Connells.
correct.

and the only reason why RW3 was available in the 3rd as opposed to the top 5 of the 1st round in that draft was because of his lack of height, teams didn't want to take the chance on a short qb. the talent was there. for every RW3 or brady that get drafted beyond the 2nd round, there's 100 no-names. the real talent is almost always found in that top 20 of the 1st round. to "hit" and expect any kind of early results, PC/JS are gonna have to invest early, and maybe even double down and draft additional qbs in subsequent rounds or drafts. re-signing geno or another bridge qb can buy us some time to find/develop the right qb. in the meantime, the defense needs... work.

Reactions: Rat

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
A few more Niner games?

80% completion rate and 200 yds against one of, if not the best NFL defense?

Guess we can try to live with that.
As the team grows together and play calling becomes more developed, what we got from Geno in game 2 is likely to be closer to his floor than his ceiling.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score

If we had the former QB I could agree with this perspective, but in game 2 against the 49ers Geno was kept in check by the play calling as much as the 49ers.

The play calling since has been opened up for Geno and with more experience he's up to the task to continue improving. I expect significantly higher production on average (not hard to project coming from 0 points of course).

Will Geno be shut out again? It's possible for any and every QB, though I wouldn't expect it. He has shown a competency that has reframed my expectations for him.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread, but based on the title.

Absolutely Fing not. We have what we need. Save the overpriced douchey college kids for someone else.

Geno for Prez. Seriously. I am a believer.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
correct.

and the only reason why RW3 was available in the 3rd as opposed to the top 5 of the 1st round in that draft was because of his lack of height, teams didn't want to take the chance on a short qb. the talent was there. for every RW3 or brady that get drafted beyond the 2nd round, there's 100 no-names. the real talent is almost always found in that top 20 of the 1st round. to "hit" and expect any kind of early results, PC/JS are gonna have to invest early, and maybe even double down and draft additional qbs in subsequent rounds or drafts. re-signing geno or another bridge qb can buy us some time to find/develop the right qb. in the meantime, the defense needs... work.
Who says we NEED to invest early in a QB?
We can sign Geno again and wait for a better class of QBs.
I'm not impressed with this years TBH so why bother?
I'll let John figure it out but me?I want the first four picks
on Defense.