Russell Wilson performance in Precision Passing Event

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seafan":vhah1tmc said:
adeltaY":vhah1tmc said:
Does anyone have any data to support the fact that Wilson gets most of his production against prevent defenses?

Also his career passer ratings are 90+ in every quarter and he actually was rated higher in the first half than the second half of games just last year. The stark first to fourth quarter discrepancy was new this year.

A big problem was no running game to support him so defenses could dictate how they played him and they played him well. Hawks were competitive against the Rams in LA and the Eagles due to defensive turnovers. Without a running game there is not much to look forward to with this offense. I guess there are fans who enjoy having his 34 TDs on their fantasy teams but the Hawks were not competitive. If they had snuck into the playoffs by beating the Cards they would have been blown out. Look at December. This team was not getting better as PC was hoping/expecting so the house cleaning was predictable. There is no doubt that when the pressure comes off RW is when he shines and therefore he was performing well in the 4th quarters except for those few times defensive coordinators decided to keep the pressure on him.

But when he had no defensive pressure at all in this stupid passing competition he was the worst passer out there. Perhaps he hadn't picked up a ball in several weeks. And as someone else suggested maybe his receivers need more of the credit for his completions than they are getting. Don't tell me it should take 3 seasons for a NFL QB to figure out how to throw an end zone pass to a 6'-7" receiver.

Bottom line: Hawks better get a running game really soon.

We had, what, one meaningful turnover against the Eagles? The pick was a desperation throw with two minutes left in the fourth when we were already up 24-10. The offense played very well against a great Eagles D. I definitely agree with your overall point, our offense was so one dimensional that we had to pass and it was more difficult to pass because teams knew what was coming. We do need a running game.

xgeoff

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3d961jj1 said:
Did you see Russell help Michael Thomas win the receiving competition?
This pro bowl skills is more fun to watch than the game. I wish we had a kicker that could even play kick tac Toe.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22215721

This is exactly what I was thinking. Russ' passes were so spot on here. At least half of the credit for this win should go to Russ.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
randomation":1l7wgi4v said:
He needed 19 for the nfc to have a hope of a win so he went for the big point targets right away.

All them went for the big point targets right away, though. They all started with the deep corner shots and then alternated between the high and low deep crossers and the rotating mid-level passes. I don't think a single person even attempted one of the one pointers.

Regardless though, like the pro-bowl, this event was just for fun. Results from it have nothing to do with anything, IMO.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":u87j0axe said:
Pro Bowl means absolutely nothing. Never has, never will.

Except for those players that have bonus $$ tied to it, and those losers that gave up $32,000 difference to the winners.

Not to mention the agents that leverage this at contract negotiation time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Brady's ex equipment guy was there was there and let the air out of the balls.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I believe RW is a top tier QB.

I also have a similar baseball/football history (without being an elite QB in the NFL :sarcasm_on: ), but played 4A Qb, and college baseball.

After a torn labrum surgery in my shoulder Nov 2016, I've committed myself to learning the proper throwing technique in football. I've spent hours and hours learning from experts on this topic FYI. Here's what I notice of RW form:

- He throws the football in a similar matter as he would use to throw a baseball. Leg drive, heavy strain on rotator cuff. While his release is reasonably quick, his throwing motion is not efficient.
- The ball drops around his waste level as he takes the ball back. Ideally, you'd like to see the ball drop not much further than his pec. [youtube]waO3WVVU9m8[/youtube]
- His footwork seems to have digressed of late as well (this isn't evident on the video at the probowl), but certainly lacks consistently. Part of this has to do with being gun shy with respect to blocking, but he needs to be on time more often and climb the pocket.
- The Best throwers talk about a kinetic chain starting from the ground up- similar to a golf swing in that way... Where there's a build up of elastic type energy, and then a release. Russell, uses his legs in a large degree but then forces all of the stress of the throw on to the rotator cuff (like in baseball). I know this because this action caused me to go through a very painful surgery. I used to be able to throw a baseball 90 mph, and i'd take that same action and assume that's what QBs did. WRONG. It's a completely different action.
- Have you noticed a baseball pitcher bend at waist (flat back) on release? Well in football you never want to bend at the waste- it's all rotary movement right to left.
[youtube]VSfMoT4I9ic[/youtube] (3:20 mark)
-The way the ball should be released is when the shoulder gets to something surgeons call "zero position". It takes almost no strain when the shoulder/elbow gets in the right spot.
[youtube]blY6uq8KgMk[/youtube]

I could go on and on about this but I trust no one really cares that much:)

Carson Wentz sought out a specific Quarterback motion coach this last off season when his mechanics digressed towards the end of 2016/2017 season. His mechanics were so strong this year before he got hurt. Tom Brady still works with Tom House... All of these QB gurus are teaching a similar concept, but it's a concept RW has not learned yet. He continues to go back to his coach at NC state.

Reaction score
lukerguy":1pw877ry said:

- His footwork seems to have digressed of late as well (this isn't evident on the video at the probowl), but certainly lacks consistently. Part of this has to do with being gun shy with respect to blocking, but he needs to be on time more often and climb the pocket.

Carson Wentz sought out a specific Quarterback motion coach this last off season when his mechanics digressed towards the end of 2016/2017 season. His mechanics were so strong this year before he got hurt. Tom Brady still works with Tom House... All of these QB gurus are teaching a similar concept, but it's a concept RW has not learned yet. He continues to go back to his coach at NC state.

Digress does not mean what you seem to think it means...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How many quarterbacks would play even CLOSE to how he does behind a swiss cheese O-Line? Very few.
Dude is running for his life, all the time.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
lukerguy":3t6hrseb said:

I also have a similar baseball/football history (without being an elite QB in the NFL :sarcasm_on: ), but played 4A Qb, and college baseball.

After a torn labrum surgery in my shoulder Nov 2016, I've committed myself to learning the proper throwing technique in football. I've spent hours and hours learning from experts on this topic FYI. Here's what I notice of RW form:

- He throws the football in a similar matter as he would use to throw a baseball. Leg drive, heavy strain on rotator cuff. While his release is reasonably quick, his throwing motion is not efficient.
- The ball drops around his waste level as he takes the ball back. Ideally, you'd like to see the ball drop not much further than his pec. [youtube]waO3WVVU9m8[/youtube]
- The Best throwers talk about a kinetic chain starting from the ground up- similar to a golf swing in that way... Where there's a build up of elastic type energy, and then a release. Russell, uses his legs in a large degree but then forces all of the stress of the throw on to the rotator cuff (like in baseball). I know this because this action caused me to go through a very painful surgery. I used to be able to throw a baseball 90 mph, and i'd take that same action and assume that's what QBs did. WRONG. It's a completely different action.
- Have you noticed a baseball pitcher bend at waist (flat back) on release? Well in football you never want to bend at the waste- it's all rotary movement right to left.
[youtube]VSfMoT4I9ic[/youtube] (3:20 mark)
-The way the ball should be released is when the shoulder gets to something surgeons call "zero position". It takes almost no strain when the shoulder/elbow gets in the right spot.
[youtube]blY6uq8KgMk[/youtube]

I could go on and on about this but I trust no one really cares that much:)

I care lukerguy. Your excellent value added post is clearly Five Stars ***** Thanks for sharing.
Feet and the linkage of feet to the upper body thru core strength is central to athletic development. I'm coming around to the notion that looking at players and teams other than a forums favorite provide superior content in part because we can all be less emotional about our loyalties and more rational about mechanics and such.

I found this you tube presentation to be a useful follow up representation of that approach >>> [youtube]VSCRseSsRB4[/youtube]

scutterhawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":2e9uqtde said:
he needs to be on time more often and climb the pocket.

Carson Wentz sought out a specific Quarterback motion coach this last off season when his mechanics digressed towards the end of 2016/2017 season. His mechanics were so strong this year before he got hurt.

A couple of things you haven't taken into account.
"Climb The Pocket" assumes that he has a "Pocket" to move into, when in fact, his O-Line couldn't form nor defend any kind of "Pocket" with any kind of consistency, so, if he did attempt to step up, it would have shortened the distance for would be Sack-masters like Aaron Donald, or just about any average Defender for that matter (shitty O-Line blocking.
Carson Wentz's injury is a PERFECT example of what can happen when either your pocket collapses or there's piss-poor blocking.
Prime example; 2016...Break down in O-Line Protection = Wilson Injury, & not just once, but thrice.
It's also pretty hard to work on his QB "Mechanics" when he had zero TIME to load up (kinetics) to throw a pass, ESPECIALLY when he all too often had to tuck the ball down and take off running.
Hopefully, Solari can Coach up better QB protection, and block for our RB's.
Now I could be wrong, but I doubt that there's a lot of Warrior Mentality going on at the pre-Pro Bowl play-days :smilingalien:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Can't be comfortable as QB when you are getting smoked within a couple seconds of the snap behind that line.